It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:56 pm

Free Newsletter

raw vegan

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

raw vegan

Postby louise » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:22 pm

just wanted to share and see if anyone else has tried or is on such a diet. i have been eating soley raw foods and it is amazing. i think it perhaps the best approach to weight loss, as it gives you amazing amounts of energy and you needn't worry about limiting the amount of food you eat. i find i am energised from the moment i wake up in the morning. i have been feeling so energetic i just joined a gym. i think that energy levels can be something that can be very troubling when trying to lose weight, but i've found by eating lots of fresh fruit and veg and raw seeds and nuts, i have avoided this.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
louise

Postby Garfield » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:28 pm

Glad it's working for you.
I tried something similar ages ago but found I couldn't eat enough food to get enough calories. I ended up having no energy at all and I felt dizzy and lethargic all the time.
Just goes to show that different things work for different people. If you are feeling so good then keep it up. Congrats :D
[/url]
Garfield

Postby Dolly » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:24 am

I also tried being a vegan for 2 years, unfortunatley because of my hypothyroid condition the doctor ordered me to eat meat as my body wasn't absorbing the iron from the greens and dried apricots (I kept fainting) It took me ages to keep meat down, sometimes I still have trouble.

I agree with you that drinking vegetable juices and eating raw nuts and fruit (for somone without my thyroid gland condition) is a great idea. One day I might even try it another try.

Louise, how do you consume enough protein without losing hair and how long have you bean vegan?
Dolly

Postby louise » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:42 am

i have been vegetarian for about 8 years, stopped eating eggs soon after that and then slowly fazed out dairy. i've only been eating raw for about a month now. i'd tried it once before, but got a bit bored (mostly because i wasn't been very creative nor did i own any raw recipe books, which i do now.)
i think that is a problem with some people turning vegan or vegetarian and not knowing how to cook vegan food or are not mindful of what they need, which is perhaps easier with eating an omnivore diet because its common. i mean i know a few new vegetarians who will eat lots of toast and not much else, but i don't think there is too many reasons why one cannot live healthily and happy as a vegan, i know lots of people who do.
i never had too much trouble getting what i needed, although i used to feel a bit fatigued leading up to my period, that said my last period i didn't even notice it coming! early on i used to think about what i was eating a lot and ensure i ate what i needed to but i don't think too much about it anymore.

i eat a variety of fruit and veg (organic, packed with vitamins and minerals), i have lots of sprouts too, which i made bread from, by blending them with some spice and veg and dehydrating it, or else put them in salads or raw soup! sprouts are great because they are a living food, with lots of energy and you can sprout most grains and get a variety of what you need. i used to eat quite a lot of soy; tofu, milk, tempeh, which are high in protein... but don't now i'm eating raw.
lots of nuts and seeds have lots of protein; pepita, sunflower, brazil nuts, almonds and hazel nuts.

i think with hypothyroid, you should avoid soy products, but take in lots of iodine, i think what can be problematic with iodine is that the soil quality most veg is grown in isn't great and is low in iodine, so eat organic. you also can get it in seaweeds, i like to make a juice and put kelp or spirilina powder in it. or else i put some dried nori in salads (which is delicious!)
[/url]
louise

Postby Dolly » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:05 am

Yes you're right I have to avoid a list of foods especially soy products such as tofu, soy milk, beans, and soy sauce as they are goitrogens which block my thyroid medication from working.
I get my organic iodine intake from the healthfood stores (kelp tablets)
Unfortunately the only other way for me to get protein was to eat raw nuts but because of my thyroid gland problem I gained weight.
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:06 pm

Louise is spot on. There are plenty of places to get proteins from non animal sources and nuts and legumes are prime sources. And Iron is the same - red kidney beans are great but it is best to combine with a source of vitamine c to aid in the body's absorption (hence tomato and capsicum on my kidney bean tacos).

My sister has been vegetarian since she was a tot. She just never liked meat. The only times she has been anaemic was when she had geardia (an intenstinal parasite) as a small child and when she moved into uni accommodation eating uni food. And she's a fit young thing, not scrawny or sickly at all.

I've never really eaten a lot of meat myself but nowadays we usually have chicken once a week (the bloke gets whingy otherwise).

And go the kelp!! :D
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Weight loss Talk