It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:18 am

Free Newsletter

Periods!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Periods!

Postby fattychops » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:23 pm

Hiya all,

I was wondering how everyone else finds loosing weight when it comes to period time... ie, i dont seem to loose much, even tho i stay on track.

It drives me crazy!!
fattychops

Postby Ally » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:42 pm

I found that I had this problem too....I don't know whether you carry a lot of fluid before your period ( I can carry up to an extra 3-4kgs :? ) But I found that it played havoc with the scales. I found that sometimes I lost only a little or not at all....so don't be too concerned. Just make sure that you are not sneaking little extras in too, as it is easy around "that time" to get hungrier and cravings can tend to rule your over your common sense!!! Hope this has helped!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:47 pm

mine have just finished a day ago and i lost 1.5kilos when i had my period for about half of the week. will see at my next weigh in if it made a difference. but i found that the hardest thing was not snacking on a big block of chocolate. i crave it when i have my period and the lead up to my period. its ridiculous, but i did really well. just have to watch iron levels.
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:50 pm

I never, never, never, lose any weight at period time!! (Apart from this month as I was doing the "soup diet" right over that time of the month... silly me!)

It's a fluid retention thing for sure. I get it quite badly sometimes. Also, my bowel movements are far less at that time, so all the stored crap adds to the weight as well :(

Here's some things that really help for me:
1. Herbal Diuretics (I take the one by Thompson's)
2. Laxatives, if really needed....
3. The best thing that I have found ever.... VITEX. It's a chinese herb of some kind I believe. Don't get it in the liquid form though as it tastes absolutely disgusting, no joke. The tablets are the way to go! I found that it stops most of the PMS symptoms, fluid retention included. This month I had virtually no symtoms at all, but a couple of months back, I didn't take the Vitex for the whole month, and I had every symptom under the sun! I was a horrible dragon lady :x

A good shopping site for all this stuff is http://www.completehealth.com.au. They have a good range, good customer service and deliver really quickly.

I'd say to wait until a good few days after your period before you can get a good reading on the scales :)

Oh and the hungries can be a problem. I have heard that, because your metabolism is raised at that time, you can eat an extra 600kJ. So try to limit it to just a small extra snack.
SarahC

Postby Ally » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:02 pm

geez I am glad to read that I am not the only one with bowel problems just before or during a period ( I was too embarrassed to write it down :oops: )
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:12 pm

I have a spreadsheet with each weeks progress and I always note next to the weeks when I have had my period. Twice I have had weigh in on the very day it started and I know I weigh more at that time due to fluid retention, in both cases I had a small loss recorded but the following week was higher than usual so it all seems to even out in the end.

I too get bowel problems around that time, fondly termed crampy bum in our household ( :lol: just had to share that)! Although with my diet including so much veges, pulses, wholemeal/multigrain variety of starches it is a whole lot easier! Always wondered if it was due to the naprogresic/panadol combo as I have terrible pain at times and I know some pain killers can constipate you.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby fattychops » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:16 pm

Thanks Ladies!

Glad im not the only one with issues around period time!!

I find im heaps more hungry around period time, and talk about moody and stressed out! :roll:

not good for the diet, but all went well this time, tho just a small loss for this week :cry:
fattychops

Postby slimmindown » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:04 am

It sounds like a common problem for us all. I look forward to the week after my period, as the fluid comes off and with my usual patterns I can sometimes loose 2 kilos, that keeps me focused during that period week of the month. :D
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby chubbybubby » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:17 am

I agree with slimmindown, I always look forward to the week after my period, I usually have a good loss then. The week before my period is definatley always a very average loss or nothing at all. I have not actually gained when I am premenstrual though. I always make sure i drink heaps of water and no caffeine and eat lots of cleansing vegetables so I dont feel puffy or bloated.
chubbybubby

Postby Hayley » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:00 am

My weightloss is always smaller in the during/just after the week of my period. I was told by a Tony Ferguson consultant, that it's because your body retains water during this time and that it also has something to do with the hormones doing crazy things in your body, although this doesn't affect all women.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuOdmgo/]
Hayley

Postby louise » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:01 pm

thanks for all your posts on periods. i was feeling down because i hadn't lost any weight the other week, although i'd been going mad at the gym and eating well, but i did have my period, so perhaps that was a factor!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
louise

Postby Puffer » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:11 pm

I had never thought about or noticed this but I think it is spot on. I lost around 500g in the first few days of this week, and despite having continued doing the same thing (same kj, similar amount of exercise) I havn't lost anything the rest of the week (since my period started).

I am disapointed I was really looking forward to getting to 72 kg, because I was 73kg a few months back, before I went up to 75kg again. When I get to the magic 72kg I will be lighter than I have been for about a year. When I get under 70kg, I will be the lightest I have been in nearly 3 years, and when I get under 65kg I will be the lightest I have been in over 5 years!

Just gotta keep going, here is hoping next week is a good one ;)
Puffer

Postby Ally » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:37 pm

I am in the same boat this week... I have the pre-period bloat, where my boobs (can I say boobs on the forum :shock: ) feel like cannonballs and my ankle swell and I just feel awful!!! Have posted pik of how I feel this week (and weigh in is tomorrow for me AAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!)

Ally's pre-period bloat looks and feels something like this

[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:51 am

:lol: thats funny :) i wonder if ill have a bigger loss this week as i had my period last week??? *ponders*
kate_turner2000

Return to Weight loss Talk