It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:22 am

Free Newsletter

Healthy attitude

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Healthy attitude

Postby Dxenion » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:31 pm

Had a good long chat with a counsellor today. Seems that being overweight has affected way more areas of my life than I ever imagined.

Aside from bedroom issues (anyone else always go to bed fully clothed), it seems that I've developed a fear of places where I may find the foods that I have trouble with (potatoes, cheese, bread) and as a result, have over a number of years turned into a recluse, some say an eccentric one, in an effort to control my environment, and what I can eat. Has anyone else arranged to work on Christmas Day just to avoid lunch?

The counsellor also mentioned that the stress I've been putting myself through has also worked against what I'm trying to achieve. In a major way and in such a short time, this site has gone along way in helping me lower my stress. You have no idea how much it helps to know that you're not the only person trying to discard weight.

The counsellor told me that, due to my body structure and genetics, I will never be Barbie (fine with that) and that I shouldn't strive to be in what all the BMI charts tell me is a healthy weight range - that would be too low for me. I should just aim for a healthy body shape somewhere NEAR the BMI chart. What a relief!

She mentioned that in the next session, we'll set a small weight goal as a starter and once I get there, go to a weight management program for a couple of months to show me that weight (at any number) can be managed. Once I get used to the management program, we'd then set the next weight goal.

There are plenty more sessions planned and I'll post the counsellor's comments and advice here.
Dxenion

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:56 pm

wow thats very interesting reading, thanks for sharing that with us! i know i find this site is really encouraging and i hope we can all help in some way to your weightloss :)
kate_turner2000

Postby chubbybubby » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:43 pm

You have done so fantastically well so far! and remember that we are all here for you in those difficult times, Im sure you will achieve all of your goals, and make some supportive new friends here too ( I know I have!) . I understand how helpful a counsellor can be, I have Bipolar Disorder, so I was seeing one for a long time until my medication was sorted, my issues discussed, and "normality" returned to my life, and I am now stable, mentally, and am on the way to being there physically too :P Just remember, a problem shared is a problem halved. xxxx
chubbybubby

Postby KimE » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:56 pm

Thanks for sharing that it sounds like you and your counsellor are getting things sorted out. Love the idea of setting small goals and making them realistic.

Well done on your loss so far. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Session 2

Postby Dxenion » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:00 pm

The counsellor and I had another chat today. The points emphasised were:

To remember that Barbie is an unrealistic figure. The only ones who profit long term from promoting the model look or perfect body are the marketing agencies.

Aim for a healthy body shape that I'm comfortable with.

Food is not the enemy!

The mirror is not the enemy!

My body is not the enemy - it's just a little confused at the moment.

Strategies for breaking other bad habits (ie if you do something 19 times, it becomes a habit) will not work for discarding weight. Why? Because it only works on removing an undesirable behaviour - eating is desirable for living!

Learn that it is ok to have a treat once a week ie a chocolate, or toast with vegemite AND butter. If I'm worried about the loaf of bread and I getting into a war and the bread losing, keep it at someone else's house or at work and take only a couple of pieces home with me to enjoy.

When I do have a treat, eat it really slowly and enjoy the whole experience - the sight, the smell and the taste. I'll appreciate it more and wont crave it so much when I know I will be able to have it again in 7 days time.

I've identified that cheese is a weak point. Now I only get a real quality piece of parmesan because it is a very strong flavoured cheese. Sprinkle a light dusting over a dish when I'm craving it. That way I get the taste but not the overload of calories.

I've already changed from full cream milk (required on the Sure Slim diet) to Pura Boost and now to Lite. I am having trouble going to Skim. I was advised to make a mix of 3/4 Lite and 1/4 skim for a week, slowly altering the blend towards Skim until I'm drinking full Skim.

Model my lifestyle on cultures where the staple and bulk of the meal is rice. Generally speaking, these people are very rarely overweight yet they eat an enormous amount of rice. Why? Because they're out in the field working or walking long distances to the local market and carrying the purchases back by hand. Their lifestyle is a (generally) much more active one that the average westener.

Facing facts - I'm not planning on making a career out of exercise, however exercise exists in many more forms than the gym or the pool etc. Viewing household chores in a different light ie Cleaning the gutters incorporates climbing up and down ladders (step machine), carry a light load (weight belt), scrubbing the gutters (repetitive light load resistance training arm workout) + all your core strength muscles are constantly working to ensure you dont fall off the ladder!

It's amazing how much of a workout I can get from shovelling mulch out of a trailer and wheelbarrowing it around to all the garden beds. It's also a shock to discover just how much hard work it is to wash three german shepherds by hand. I used to get a mobile dog wash to come over, now I've discovered a 2 hour exercise workout!

Housework can be viewed in the same manner - vacuuming almost becomes a dance class. Kinda makes the whole process more enjoyable. Wear a daypack when doing chores, add a bottle of water. The way to get the weight off my back will be to drink the water. If I don't drink it all, it still works like a weight belt.

Get a pedometer. Wear it for an entire 24 hour period. Keep a record of myr first days total. Go online to somewhere like Whereis.com and find out how far I would've walked from my house that day. Aim to improve on it every day, even if it's only by 20 steps. It can become kinda fun trying to work out what to change in my daily habit to get those extra steps. Do a weekly/ monthly total and work out online where I walked to.

Change my computer chair for an exercise ball. It naturally discourages slouching and my core strength muscles will be in a constant motion to keep me balanced. Muscles working means calories burning!

Identify on my diet log when I've eaten an item I think is bad. Also write down what led up to that point. Over time, the diary may highlight a trend ie stress from a work phone call, stress from a family member, bored, emotional, PMT etc that once identified, can be worked on. I can't fix what I don't know is broken.

Through it all, remember that I'm making tiny lifestyle changes, day by day that will overall add up to a lighter, healthier and happier me.
Dxenion

Postby KimE » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:07 pm

Dxenion that sounds great. Making the necessary changes in a gradual manner won't shock your system so much and gives you time to 're-train' yourself so the new habits become your normal lifestyle. Sounds like you have a good counsellor who is really helping you.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:01 am

wow some really good points there :) i hope everything is working well for you. you can do it mate!
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:03 am

excellent!! Keep going Dxenion you will get there!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Return to Weight loss Talk