It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:00 am

Free Newsletter

Is this just 'my shape'?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Is this just 'my shape'?

Postby bonnesanté » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi there!

I'm a 20 year old female, around 162cm and 58-ish kgs. I know i'm within the 'normal' BMI, however i'm constantly frustrated that i don't have a body that reflects my lifestyle! (And we start with the self-pity!) For the past year and a half or so since moving out of home, i have become really interested in diet and nutrition, and have been eating well and truly the best i ever have - i feel fantastic health-wise. I also exercise more than ever - running a few times a week and doing a couple of sessions of boxing with a friend. I went through a stage earlier in the year when i noticeably put on weight (was drinking soy-milk, and doing too much yo-yo dieting i think) but since then i feel like i haven't been able to get back to my regular size. It used to be so easy! Is this just the way i'm always going to be now? Or can weight loss take months and months? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
bonnesanté

Re: Is this just 'my shape'?

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:52 pm

Just a few possibilities
Your body does change as you get older and at 20yo it is possible that your body is still maturing through the tail end of puberty if you were a late bloomer.
Are you really seeing your body for what it is? Are you perceiving more flubber than is actually present?
If you are feeling healthy and in a healthy weight range, maybe this is more about your expectations about what your body should look like than expectations about health?
Have you done a body composition test to see what percentage of your body is fat as opposed to muscle to give you another data point to base decisions on?
Yes weight loss can take a long time, particularly when you have a relatively small amount to lose and you may have messed up your metabolism with yo-yo diets (that is, your metabolism may have called your bluff on the healthy eating and be waiting for you to change your mind again). You're also getting older (shock horror) which may well have shifted the goal posts.
What else has changed since it was "easy"? Changed jobs, house, routine, relationships.... so many factors which could have changed. I recall one person on here saying they realised that a small change in house or pets or something meant that a whole chunk of incidental exercise went missing.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Weight loss Talk