It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:26 am

Free Newsletter

Burn 650 calories by relaxing in a comfy chair...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Burn 650 calories by relaxing in a comfy chair...

Postby Mandie » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:05 pm

...for 30 minutes?

How?

Donate blood, of course!

Giving one pint of blood (a bag, what they take!) equates to burning 650 calories (not to mention the half a kilo instant weight loss!) AND you are helping people who need it!

It's time to give back.. my appointment is this evening.

When are you donating?

:)
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:13 pm

i think id pass out lol. i had blood tests done whilst pregnant, is it similar to that? i never watched them take the blood though. they did once and i got nauseous lol. i think that was from fasting though. if you tell me a bit more about giving blood then i might get the courage to go!!! kudos to you for doing it!!!
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:20 pm

http://www.donateblood.com.au

That website should tell you all you need to know.

You need to be above 47kg (not a problem for most of us I'd say!) and below about 160kg (I think that's because of the chairs..), in reasonable health, with no blood borne diseases (HIV positive need not apply..).

Any questions, call 13 14 95 and they can give you more information.

In general - drink LOADS of water on the day (at least 2L) and make sure you eat reasonably well before you go!

Passing out/feeling sick is relatively common. I usually feel like I'm going to pass out, and have actually fainted a couple of times. I don't know why I go back, masochistic I guess!

What you can do:
--DRINK WATER
--EAT
--RELAX
--DISTRACT YOURSELF (bring a friend to chat to/hold your hand, watch the TV, read a magazine, just don't look at the blood coming out!)

If you've fainted before, learn to recognise the early warning signs and TELL THE NURSE! Right away, don't be embarrassed, it's very common! For me, I start feeling hot and sweaty and I know I'm going to faint very soon!

Afterwards - you lay down in the chair for a while and sit and drink juice until you are feeling completely fine, then you eat your complimentary snacks and DRINK MORE WATER!

If you're worried about fainting etc, bring someone to drive you home.

In general - it's a fantastic thing to do. It can help SO many people out there in need, and blood stocks in Australia are really low at the moment so NOW is the time to give! There are benefits to you too - you feel fantastic, rack up the good karma points, burn calories (as your metabolism kicks into overdrive to replace your red blood cells) and get lots of compliments when people realise you just donated blood!

So check out the website above, and call 13 14 95 for an appointment!
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:23 pm

hi mandie
thanks for the explaination. will check out the site for sure. my brother gives blood and i know a few family members who have needed transfusions. :? would you know how long it takes because i have an 8 month old who i would need to take with me
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:29 pm

Usually around half an hour, but I'd allow at least an hour for your first visit.

If you make an appointment, you shouldn't have to wait, if you just walk in and it's a peak time you might be waiting a while.

It takes a little while to fill in the forms and you have an interview-type thing with the nurse first, that takes longer on the first time. The actual donating bit is totally variable, but usually 20-30 minutes.

And then, if you feel faint you might want to hang around for a little longer than the usual 15 minutes just to get yourself together and drink some water and juice and eat and stuff.

I'd suggest getting someone to babysit, unless you bring someone to look after your little one while you are in there, because she will probably get bored!

Lots of centres do after hours (I'm going at 5pm today) sessions so you should be able to get a convenient appointment time!

Let me know how you go!
Mandie

Postby SarahC » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:33 pm

Mandie, you are very brave! I am absolutely petrified of needles, especially in that part of the arm. I had tonnes of blood tests done whilst in the Navy... some were okay, but one in particular was an absolute nightmare! These guys had no idea what they were doing, I think they actually moved the needle around while it was inside my arm! I went back to my cabin and cried as I was so freaked out :cry: And I had a bruise for the next three weeks :shock:

I'd like to try giving blood as I am sure that the nurses that do it are very skillful... still thinking about it though :oops:
SarahC

Postby Ally » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:09 pm

OUCH Sarah!!! :shock: that is horrible. That would put me off!!! You poor thing.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:49 pm

How wierd Mandie I gave blood today! And hello I didn't know you burnt calories doing it. Now that is a bonus and I don't feel so bad about having that chocolate muffin that was supplied. :D

You see I used to donate regularly every 3 months. I do this during work hours as at our workplace we get 2 days off a year for community service. So I put my 4 trips a year to the blood bank as my community service. It usually takes us 2-3 hours because you go in a group and have to wait for everyone to be finished.

The last time I went over a year ago I was unable to give blood due to the haemoglobin count being too low. To cut a long story short it lead to finding out I had a 20cm cyst which was subsequently removed along with my left ovary and fallopian tube. So I haven't given blood till I had my final check up at the hospital in July and got the all clear. So today was the beginning of my regular donations again. They actually set up a mobile blood bank at work so I was only away for an hour. The good thing was they had a tray of muffins from one of the local cafes on offer along with cheese and biscuits and cups of tea with boiled lollies. I figured giving blood entitled me to a chocy muffin and I enjoyed every crumb.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Mandie » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:07 pm

I did it!! No fainting, didn't even feel like I was going to pass out! Hooray!

RE: The needle thing.
Yes, the nurses are exceptionally skilled, they do it all day! I have had a lot of trouble with getting blood tests in the past and I have hard veins to find, and have also had horrible bruises, and the experience of collapsed veins, and moving the needle around in the arm! It's horrible!

Having said that, they have always got the vein first time when I have donated blood... they rock!

If you are worried, tell them you have hard veins and they will get the most experienced person to do it.

I'm so glad I know I burnt those calories, because they had FREE PIZZA today.. I couldn't resist!
Mandie

Postby KimE » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Right that's it I'm donating where Mandie donates in Perth where the pizza roams free... :lol:
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby louise » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:06 pm

hi KimE, I had a similar thing happen to me, except it was my right ovary, I had a tennis ball sized cyst on my ovary which twisted and bled, and it was removed (along with my appendix, for convinience?)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
louise

Postby KimE » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:16 pm

Hello Louise, I don't think I've said an 'official' hello so welcome to the forum. :D

Yeah they are nasty. Mine was kinda big and attached to everything else so the doc decided against keyhole. Ended up haveing a laporotomy (sp?) much like a C section cut with a similar sort of recovery process. I was in some pain with it but I had no idea it was there, I figured something was going on but not a big ass cyst!! Hot damn my tummy was so hard with this thing inside, no wonder I had problems lying, sleeping, on my tummy. :roll:
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby chubbybubby » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:28 pm

I would love to give blood, I am already an organ donor, and would love to be able to help, but I have been knocked back because I am on medication for my bipolar, So at least in the near future, Im out :(
chubbybubby

Postby Ally » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:16 pm

I am going to give blood as soon as my weight reaches the excepted level. It gives me something to aim for!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Return to Weight loss Talk