It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Free Newsletter

Can I eat as much fruit, salad veg as I want

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Can I eat as much fruit, salad veg as I want

Postby jonesy200916 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:39 pm

Hello I'm trying to shed a couple extra kilos and I was wondering if I can eat as much salad/fruit/veg as i want eat as i can quite easily sit down to a large plate of carrot, lettuce, capsicum, tomato, etc. with a little bit of canned tuna or something or for morning tea I sometimes have a fruit salad - 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 orange, some strawberries, rockmellon and some fresh pineapple with yoghurt and rolled oats on top.

Are my portions too big, I'm exercising each day

Re: Can I eat as much fruit, salad veg as I want

Postby HappyGirl83 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:03 pm

For me I found logging in all the food I ate into a tracker really helped. It took all the guess work out for me! I was so shocked at how high in cals some of the foods and meals I thought were healthy were lol. Fruit is great, maybe go for 2 - 3 serves a day? Veg is unreal, I would say go hard with it! Just watch any dressing or sauces you may use with them. Just don't forget some protein and carbs! Being healthy I am finding is all about balance and variety. You can also load in your exercise into a tracker so you can keep track of the calories burnt and eat back some.

Even if you don't want to track everything you eat, it can be handy knowing how many calories your body needs to lose weight. Especially if you are new to healthy eating. While it is important not to go over the recommended number, it is just as important not to eat under it.

Hope that helped a little.
My journey so far...

Sick and tired of wasting my 20's being fat!!

Postby onthedecrease » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:48 pm

Portion size is key, just because its healthy or good for you doesnt mean you can eat them in unlimited quantites. I would suggest putting in all the portions your eating into calorie king and just see how much your actually eating. hope this helps

Postby Debbiefatfreelife » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Alright well one problem that many weight loss sufferers face is the fruit confusion. Fruit actualy contains large amounts of fructose which is a carb that can only be broken down by the liver. Now your liver already contains crabs in it stored for energy and when it becomes full and you eat fruit it can not be broken down and is automatically stored as fat.

Vegetables on the other hand contain virtually nothing in them besides the highest quality vitamins and minerals essential for weight loss so they are great to add into your daily meals all the time!

I would stick to maybe 1 to 2 serves of fruit a day but other then that five small meals a day made up of vegetables, raw nuts, lean meats, skim dairy and some low gi carbs is perfect for weight loss that is healthy and fast.
Last edited by Shalimar on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links removed.

Postby Daisybeck » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:50 pm

Vegetables for the most part are harmless but fruit needs to be portioned. That's been something that's caught me out. Life Debbiefatfreelife stated above, fruit can contribute to weight gain if eaten in excess.

Postby jessica86 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:25 pm

i personally think you need to factor in your fruit portions as you would with every other aspect of your diet and how this affects your calories. i dont think there is any 'set' amount of fruit you should or shouldnt have. i personally have about 4 or 5 servings of fruit a day for a few reasons- i love fruit, it satisfies my sweet tooth at every meal so i dont crave chocolate, i dont eat meat, egg or dairy and i use fruit & veg & salads to bulk up my meals, and fruit is full of vitamins. thats just for my circumstances, so i think using a calorie counter to make sure your portions arent too much in relation to the rest of your diet is vital.

Return to Weight loss Talk