It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:09 pm

Free Newsletter

Addicted to carbs- help!!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Addicted to carbs- help!!

Postby Hannah_Lee » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:05 am

I've been on a health kick for 7 weeks, i found it really hard to kick the carbs,
the more carbs i ate, the less weight i lost, the more bloated i became and constipated alot.
so now im back to my old habits..i eat carbs cos im so hungry and know they'll fill me.
Quitting smoking would be easier then quitting carbs.

Ive lost 5kg and 51cm..i dont want to go back..i want to go forward, but i've lost the voice in my brain
that tells me not to eat carbs, i changed my whole lifestyle and its going out the window.

anybody have any tips or opinions, im dying i need help, carbs are taking over my life!

Thanks in advance

Re: Addicted to carbs- help!!

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:04 pm

Get them out of the house if you possibly can. I truly believe simple carbs are addictive. Get as much fresh vege in the house as you can plus some good very low GI carbs and avoid the sugars and simple carbs like they carry the plague until the cravings stop. It'll be easier one you've had a couple of days without them.

Try and see if there's triggers. Follow back an instance where you caved in... what happened just before that, and just before that and so on in minute detail so you can see each little decision you made that brought you closer and closer to that chocolate or bowl of chips. The further back in that chain you can intervene, the easier it is. It might mean taking a different rad home from work so you don't drive past Hungry Jacks, or making a plan for when you feel bored or stressed (or to avoid feeling bored or stressed.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby Czarina » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:23 pm

Carbs are not the devil! Your body needs them! It's all about balance...upping your protein and sticking to wholegrain breads, etc, should help keep you satisfied.

Postby sarahm » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:59 pm

i reckon i have addictive problems with carbs too-maybe they are the devil for some of us??? i try to restrict my intake quite severly-esp. crisps and breads...mmmm. :lol:

Postby Debbiefatfreelife » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:05 pm

Carbs are a very tricky addition to the diet but the most important thing to do here is to not cut them out. The only reason you are craving carbs is because your body is so used to being injected with the insulin to help control blood sugar levels after eating carbs.

What you should be doing is swapping to low GI varieites of carbs at all meals and slowly taking away carbs here and there. ALSO! This is a must that many people do not do!

If you suffer from carb addiction it is important to cheat once a week, but do not splurge. This will alleviate the pressure on your brain and give it what it needs and slowly allows it to cope with out it. A slice of cake, milkshake or whatever your fancy as long as it is portion controlled once a week is perfect.

This will also ramp up your metabolism for even more effective fat burning! I hope that helps out and best of luck weight loss!
Last edited by Shalimar on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links removed.

Return to Weight loss Talk