It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:34 pm

Free Newsletter

Insulin resistance

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Insulin resistance

Postby roxanne » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:45 pm

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance two years ago, which sort of explained why despite exercise and good healthy diet I was not shifting the weight that I put on with my pregnancy. My husband used to see me going to the gymn and being so strict in my eating habits that he felt sorry for me. He once said to me: I've never seen someone put so much effort for so little results. I am still exercising 5 times a week and stick to a low GI diet most of the time (practicalities allowing), but I find it very very hard. The worse thing is not being able to lose this stomach.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any supplements or vitamins that may help? (They have to be natural).

I would appreciate any feedback.
If I can't dance, I don't want to be in your revolution.

Emma Goldman
roxanne

Postby KimE » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:48 pm

Hello Roxanne and welcome to the forum.

That must be so frustrating to put in so much effort and not lose the weight. I never realised the types of things that can make it so difficult until starting on this forum.

I am sorry I am not much help here as I don't know what assists with weight loss when you have a medical condition that can prevent or hinder it.

Hopefully others will have better input.

At least the exercise is excellent for your body and your heart will be loving it.

Good luck with everything. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Mandie » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:59 pm

Hi roxanne,

There are a few ways to help you lose weight, especially just to get you started. It all depends on what your BMI is now, and how much you need to lose.

There are a couple of medications that can help, and it sounds like it might be appropriate in your situation to try one of these, to help kick you off.

I'd recommend seeing your GP and asking for suggestions. My GP was great as she went over all the options with me and we came up with the best plan of attack. Hopefully your GP will be just as good!

They should go over all the options of diet types, food supplements (like Optifast), and weight loss medication. They should also refer you to a dietician just to make sure you are eating the best you can be!

Good luck, let us know how you go!
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:51 pm

hi roxanne

the girls have offered you some great advice and i agree with them to see a dr about what you can do to shift your weight. it must be hard having the insulin issue holding you back from being a happier and healthier woman :) you'll find lots of support here and feel free to join in discussions etc.
kate_turner2000

Postby roxanne » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I don't have much faith in doctors. The first one I spoke to about this said: "You're not that overweight, you are forty and don't worry about it." The second one sent me to have a thyroid test and after I didn't have a problem in that regard, that was the end of that. It wasn't until a female doctor overheard me at a party telling someone of my difficulties that she recommended I have a blood sugar test and told me about this insulin resistance. Most doctors don't know about insulin resistance and don't care unless you are really overweight.

Since I only need to lose about six kilos they consider they've got more important things to attend to.

I have been to a naturopath about my diet and I know that's not the problem. There has been some recent media coverage given to insulin resistance recently and they basically say "it's twice as hard to lose the weight". I've seen some information on US sites that recommend some products, but I thought there might be something closer to home.
If I can't dance, I don't want to be in your revolution.

Emma Goldman
roxanne

Return to Weight loss Talk