It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:44 am

Free Newsletter

Diet Cordial?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Diet Cordial?

Postby chubbybubby » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:44 pm

Hey ppl! :D
I was just wondering, first off, how many of you religiously drink your 2 ltrs of water per day? I do, everyday, but probably half of that is made up of low joule cordial. After checking it out for a bit, there's conflicting info about whether diet cordial CAN be counted as your water intake, (eg Weight Watchers say you can count it, Sureslim says you cant) I was just wondering, do you count it as water? Or do you think its an "extra"? xxx
chubbybubby

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:21 pm

i have no diea chubbybubby, i just stick to water- maybe ally will know because i see in her food diary she has diet cordial sometimes :)
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:36 pm

I stick with water too mainly because if I get cordial I can't stand the diet versions and the others just add cals I don't want plus I could never figure out, like you, if I was supposed to count it. I find I love my water now and during the week drink 2-3 ltrs per day but weekends I often do about 1 1/2 ltrs only.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:26 pm

I generally avoid anything with the word "diet" in it. Don't trust the chemical sweeteners myself.

If I don't want the extra kj's I just don't have the cordial. That said, I DON'T drink enough. It's so busy at work I look up and half the day's gone by without so much as a sip. I've tried so many times to change it....
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Ally » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:42 pm

I too have been told a variety of different things. The basic rule I stick to is that water is water and I count it as such. I don't count the low joule (diet) cordial as water. (it doesn't mean to say that you can't) but one good thing to bear in mind is that anything other than water that you drink, you kidneys have to work harder. Knowing this is the reason I only count water as water (make sense??) I do try and restrict any thing diet as well and generally try and make water my main drink over any thing else (hence the 2L per day) I always make the cordial weaker than what is says to as well. hope this doesn't confuse you more!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:20 pm

I have NEVER been able to come at cordial the way they say to make it errgghh, talk about a sugar hit.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby SarahC » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:04 pm

I have a natural energy drink that I usually have every day. It comes as a powder that you mix with water. It's low joule, only about 22 calories, or about 100 kJ, and 5g carbs. I normally mix it in a 600mL water bottle, and I count that amongst my water intake for the day. I can't see how water with an additive is different from just plain water :? In the end the water is still going to get used in your body the same way, regardless of what was mixed with it at the time you drank it.... well, that's the way I see it anyway, I might be wrong.

I'd say the same thing for herbal teas as well!
SarahC

Postby slimmindown » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:16 pm

The reason water with additives is a little different , is that once you change the composition of water it becomes more alkaline or acidic.

what this means is that it will either be more permeable in the bowel and cross into the body , or it will encourage other elements in the body to cross into the bowel and be excreted with it.

For example if you drink lemonade instead of water when you are sick and already dehydrated, it will draw more fluid out of your body and be excreted and you can become more dehydrated.

thats why sports drinks have a certain makeup to discourage this and aid in rehydration.

if any one has had a colonoscopy and drank the prep drink to clear out your bowel, this is the principle it works on drawing fluid into the bowel.

I'm not a hundred percent sure about diet cordial as it doesnt have sugar I add it to soda water to change the flavour, when I'm sick of water.

not sure if this helps at all :)
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby chubbybubby » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:17 pm

Thnks for all the great answers everyone :P I guess its just one of those things, and the opinions are divided.... lol well, I think Ill keep counting it as water, and if my weightloss slows down, Ill know why xx
chubbybubby

Postby carlton » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:39 am

I tend to count it towards my water count.

Sureslim don't allow diet cordial, as it has artificial sweetners in it, which is not allowed on their program.
carlton

Postby MagicGirl79 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:15 pm

I would think that if you were adding diet cordial to every drink of water that you have during the day then I would count it. Even though they say it's sugar free, it has to surely have some effect in large amounts? Though I could be wrong.

I try to always drink a minimum of 2 litres of water a day and it's just plain water plus 2 cups of herbal tea which WW allows me to include in my water tally.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

diet drinks

Postby fiona » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:11 pm

Ive 4 bottles of low joule cordial in the cupboard, i make the kids drink it!! The husband wont touch it, as it has not enough sugar in it for him :lol: :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNxsd9O/]
[/url]
fiona

Postby jodie259 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:24 pm

Personally, I would count it as water. Because I know I couldn't/wouldn't drink a litre of plain water a day. But flavoured with diet cordial makes it a lot more bearable.

It gives you the benefits of "filling you up" and it would hydrate - even if it's not as effective as pure water.

As you said chubbybubby... while you're losing weight stick with what is working with you. If you start to plateau then drop the cordial and see if it makes a difference.

Congratulations on your great loss so far!
Mum of 2
Shaun born 27/05/06 & Shelli born 26/11/07
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHe6RPO/]
[/url]
jodie259

Postby chubbybubby » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:27 pm

Aw thanks Jodie! :oops: :lol:
chubbybubby

Return to Weight loss Talk