It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:31 am

Free Newsletter

birth control and weight gain?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

birth control and weight gain?

Postby matchbox » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:03 am

hey girls, hoping you can help. i'm going on birth control soon and want to know about weight gain. i've read some horror stories!

what birth control were you on, and how much did you gain? was it because you were hungrier or because your metabolism changed?

honest answers are GREATLY appreciated!

btw, i'm looking at most likely getting depo, if anyone has any experience, please let me know! and if you don't want to talk about it on here PLEASE PM me!!
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Re: birth control and weight gain?

Postby starr22 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:39 am

Hey matchbox :D

I work in a Chemist and I can honestly say it really does vary, some people have said the have gained weight with certain ones while others have said they have had no weight gain at all with the same one. I guess it depends on the idividual person.

From a personal view, I have been on birth control for the past 11 yrs (9yrs on pill and 2 yrs implanon) and I don't think it has made me gain weight. I gained most of my weight when I was about 23 (I am now 27) just from becoming lazy with what I was eating and no exercising. However I was talking to my Dr last week about my struggles to lose weight and she suggested I have a break from my implanon and see if it helps me lose weight. She said that they can increase your appetite, therefore making you put on weight and also making it hard to lose weight.

Anyway, I just got my implanon out on Friday, so i'll let u know if I get any amazing weight loss results in the coming weeks :wink:

This is just my experience and opinion though, I'm sure lots of others have had different experiences :D It's probably worth having a good chat with your Doctor ans/or local Pharmicist though.

Sorry If I was not much help!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wqP0t7v/]
[/url]
starr22

Postby Jisgone » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:34 am

My doctor told me that no pill makes you put on weight, it can just make your hormonal for a few weeks after beginning and in turn you eat more. If you are able to stop yourself you will do fine :)
I have implanon and I love it, best thing I ever did! I dont get periods at all when im on it so there is none of that hormonal eating a couple of days a month!
Jisgone

Postby Shay » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:05 pm

It didnt make me gain weight, but i think it made weight loss harder. Before I went on it, i was able to eat right and exercise and drop weight, after 2 years of being on it the weight wont budge but goes on pretty easily. It could also be that i'm aging, but i think it was the pill :(
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Postby Sussy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Hey,
I work in a pharmacy too, and yes it does vary from person to person.

I was also on Depo-provera for 8-9 years before i had my tubes tied and i found it fantastic. I had no weight gain (aside from my own doing, but i could lose it again when i was sensible) and i also didn't suffer any moodiness or hormonal problems. After a while my period eventually stopped, which was perfect for me. I loved it. Then when my husband and i decided to try for our baby i went off it for a year i think it was and when my periods returned to normal we tried and i got pregnant and had a perfectly healthy baby boy 9 months later.

I guess ultimately it's up to the individual and if you go on it and think it's not right for you, you'll know and can then try a different method.

Hope this was useful. Goodluck. :D
Sussy

Postby JB* » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:35 pm

It hasn't made me gain weight (I'm on Yasmin). When I first went on the pill I was concerned about this too. My doctor told me there shouldn't be any weight gain, if there is its because more food is eaten. I have to say mine is because of that (emotional eater here)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZbiUct/]
[/url]
JB*

Postby Czarina » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm on Levlen ED at the moment, mainly for my endometreosis. It hasn't made me gain any weight. I haven't been losing very easily, but I think it's due to my being in the healthy weight range now, and close to goal.

I want to change pills, I am finding that my acne is a lot worse...I would appreciate any insight into the different pills out there, especially those that are supposed to help severe acne. Also any experiences of Implanon would be interesting.
Czarina

Postby sarahm » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:43 pm

hi- i used implanon several years ago and found it the best of all hormonal cotraceptives. no side effects-no periods-no weight gain ; was celibate then for 3 years :shock: and in a new relationship now. am on the pill [ triphasil ] now , been losing weight steadily over the last 6 months. it is all about mind over matter- if your body is telling you to overeat-you must resist!!
sarahm

Postby fi_112 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:46 pm

Hey,
Yasmin & other expensive pills shouldn't make you gain weight. Even when you have your period you shouldn't get any bloating or anything. It may make your weight distribute differently (more around hips) but if you're dedicated enough it shouldn't make that much difference. I was worried about this too so I did soo much research into it!
Cheers xx
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby JB* » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:34 pm

Czarina wrote:I'm on Levlen ED at the moment, mainly for my endometreosis. It hasn't made me gain any weight. I haven't been losing very easily, but I think it's due to my being in the healthy weight range now, and close to goal.

I want to change pills, I am finding that my acne is a lot worse...I would appreciate any insight into the different pills out there, especially those that are supposed to help severe acne. Also any experiences of Implanon would be interesting.

Yasmin is great for acne.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZbiUct/]
[/url]
JB*

Postby Shay » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:09 pm

fi_112 wrote:Hey,
Yasmin & other expensive pills shouldn't make you gain weight. Even when you have your period you shouldn't get any bloating or anything. It may make your weight distribute differently (more around hips) but if you're dedicated enough it shouldn't make that much difference. I was worried about this too so I did soo much research into it!
Cheers xx

Oh my gosh, i didnt know this! Its probably why all my weight decided to shift there after I got on it! :o
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Postby riotgirl » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Actually, I found that I put on quite a bit of weight on the Implanon.
About... 8kg actually, which is why I had it removed. After the removal, I lost a few kilos.
I'm now on Yasmin - my doctor said that most people don't put on weight with Yasmin.

I think it depends on the person, but seriously think about getting the Implanon.
Because if you want to get it removed, you'll have another scar on your arm too. :(
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wmILpmD/]
[/url]
riotgirl

Postby matchbox » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:06 pm

hey lovely ladies, thanks so much for all your help!! i decided the day before my appointment i didn't want depo lol, read too many scary thigns about it, in the end i have ended up on monofeme (the pill) waiting til TTOTM to take it. has anyone else taken this one? i went to the doc at uni and she was completely useless (and also VERY rude, she was a complete b*tch, and also pretty much insinuated i was a whore. nice work doc :shock: )
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby Carley » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:44 pm

starr22 wrote:Hey matchbox :D
From a personal view, I have been on birth control for the past 11 yrs (9yrs on pill and 2 yrs implanon) and I don't think it has made me gain weight. I gained most of my weight when I was about 23 (I am now 27) just from becoming lazy with what I was eating and no exercising. However I was talking to my Dr last week about my struggles to lose weight and she suggested I have a break from my implanon and see if it helps me lose weight. She said that they can increase your appetite, therefore making you put on weight and also making it hard to lose weight.

Anyway, I just got my implanon out on Friday, so i'll let u know if I get any amazing weight loss results in the coming weeks :wink:

This is just my experience and opinion though, I'm sure lots of others have had different experiences :D It's probably worth having a good chat with your Doctor ans/or local Pharmicist though.

Sorry If I was not much help!

I have been on the implant and i just had mine removed. I had mine removed because my husband had the snip and July and no longer needed it. I never had problem with weight gain, I lost most of my weight on it, but the doctor said maybe it's the reason I'm not losing weight now. Only time will tell right? I shall keep you updated as well!
Goal for 2016:
Current weight: 94 kilos
Starting weight: 102.5 kilos
Goal #1: 92 kilos
Carley

Postby bodyforum » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:27 am

• After prescription of oral contraceptives, you have to be more vigilant in maintaining a correct diet and work outs for your body
• When you experience a slight change in your weight or even in your appetite and habits, you can simply switch to another type of birth control of course with the advice of physicians.
• You can ask your physician about the weight gain after having tried different types of oral contraceptive but still having the same problem.
• Determine if you have any underlying health problem that contributes to this untoward effect
Last edited by Jisgone on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam
bodyforum

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk