It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:59 am

Free Newsletter

Goal achievable?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Goal achievable?

Postby Emilie » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:19 am

I weight about 58kg and am looking to loose about 8kg or perhaps more if im not happy with my body at this stage. My problem is that I carry all my weight in my thighs, bum, and a little in the hips. MY stomach, and arms and calves could be more toned and a bit thinner, but I'm content with the way they are. The size of my thighs and bum is out of proportion to the rest of my body and makes me look lopsided, and I don't know how to fix this problem. I know you can;t just lose weight from certain areas, but if I lose weight from my top half it will leave that part of my body looking skeletal. Do I have to get really skinny before my body will be in proportion? I've weighed 53 kg before and my shape wasn't much different. I was very thin when i was child untill i got a bit chubby around the age of 9, then slowly got thinner as i became a teenager. These last few kilos are hard to budge tho and seem to just be in my bottom half. Will I ever have nice legs?
Emilie

Re: Goal achievable?

Postby Oliviasf » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:13 am

Hi Emilie, when I read your note I wondered if you have ever checked out your BMI? I completely understand how getting off the kgs will mean a lot, but check that you don't get onto the dangerous side of your healthy BMI. I also have shapely thighs, and you know, I spent so much time worrying about it and in the end the man of my life has given me a completely new perspective! I've also realised that my bum or thighs perhaps aren't as big as my mind eyes see them. I was also teased at around 12 years old and I wasn't overweight, but actually the boys probably said it because they liked me!! As you do at that age :wink:
For some of us we'll never be beautiful, skinny or outgoing enough, but we might be too hard on ourselves. I'm sure you're really are lovely and gorgeous the way you are. I know you might not feel this helps you much, but I hope it does.
No, we can't change our shape, but we can do little things like exercise those areas as I was told by a gym instructor that building a little muscle in an area will make your body use fat stores from those areas first. I personally like to have defined legs and that in itself will give you a great shape. Doing this though will help you put on muscle weight and loose fat weight, which may not show on the scales as a loss.
All the best with your weight loss!
Oli
Goal is to lose another 2 kgs

Starting : 69.5 kg
Goal 65 kg - reached 5/11/09
Goal 64 kg - reached 15/01/10
Goal 62 kg - reached 30/04/10
Goal 61 kg - reached 01/06/2010
Goal 58 kg

Oliviasf

Postby JB* » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:10 am

Oliviasf wrote:Hi Emilie, when I read your note I wondered if you have ever checked out your BMI? I completely understand how getting off the kgs will mean a lot, but check that you don't get onto the dangerous side of your healthy BMI. I also have shapely thighs, and you know, I spent so much time worrying about it and in the end the man of my life has given me a completely new perspective! I've also realised that my bum or thighs perhaps aren't as big as my mind eyes see them. I was also teased at around 12 years old and I wasn't overweight, but actually the boys probably said it because they liked me!! As you do at that age :wink:
For some of us we'll never be beautiful, skinny or outgoing enough, but we might be too hard on ourselves. I'm sure you're really are lovely and gorgeous the way you are. I know you might not feel this helps you much, but I hope it does.
No, we can't change our shape, but we can do little things like exercise those areas as I was told by a gym instructor that building a little muscle in an area will make your body use fat stores from those areas first. I personally like to have defined legs and that in itself will give you a great shape. Doing this though will help you put on muscle weight and loose fat weight, which may not show on the scales as a loss.
All the best with your weight loss!

Great response Olivia :D

I also believe you shouldn't focus on weight loss per se rather than focusing on toning your legs. Having strong muscles will make your legs look tight and firm and remember even though muscles weigh more than fat they take up less room than fat. Focus on muscle and not fat loss.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZbiUct/]
[/url]
JB*

Postby John » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:53 pm

From what I have read, you can't remove fat from an area by exercising in that area. There are only two ways of removing fat from an area that I know of: liposuction and injections of a chemical that cause fat to degrade, however in both cases the fat can come back.

As to what your body will look like when you lose 5 or 10kg, I don't know, presumably it's genetics. I'm not a fan of BMI in the case of individuals, as it doesn't take into account individual issues. For populations, however it's great.

One thing that I discovered, is looking down your body is different from looking in a full-length mirror. You see bumps and bulges much more because you're looking sideways onto them.

Why not just lose 1kg at a time and see how you feel about your body as you lose?
Heaviest weight: 94kg
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby Samantha Jean » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi, I completely understand where you are coming from. My thighs tend to poke out to the sides no matter what. When I was at my heaviest I felt really out of proportion as well. I think if you saw me from below my boobs up or above my knees down I would have looked quite thin, but my whole middle region - belly (from pregnancy), butt & thighs were way out.

I know that when i lose weight I do lose it from those areas more so than my far upper or far lower areas and I don't think it is possible to be boney thin at the top & bottom & still have weight in the mid section... I think you will naturally have to lose any 'fat' before that happens. My belly is usually ok too but no matter how thin I get I know my thighs will always poke out to the sides, I guess that's just my body type & I have to embrace it. I do like the curvy type shape better than the straight up and down look though, so I guess that our hips add to that.

I agree with Oli regarding your bmi... how tall are you? You don't want your bmi (kg/m2) to get below 18.5, but if you are short you would expect to be lower in kgs than the other girls.

I wish I could help, maybe thigh exercises as well as weight loss would tone them up & perhaps move the bulk to the right spots... I never really tried that when I was thinner to see. Also apparently massage can help shift it to the right spots & break up some of the... whatever it is... lol. Anyway hope my ramblings have helped.
Samantha Jean

Postby Emilie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:18 pm

Thanks for taking me seriously guys, anyone I've ever talked to about it just tells me I'm not fat and to stop being stupid! And obviosuly no doctor or dietition would give me advice on weightloss cos I'm in a healthy weight range already. Yeah I think my BMI is about 21 or something, but I'm really not looking to lose that much weight really I just want to shift my existing weight to other places in my body haha but thats not going to happen. But the advice you've given is great I'll just work really hard to tone up and also if I bulk up my top half I won't look so out of proportion anyway.
Emilie

Postby Czarina » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:57 pm

It sounds like you are a pear-shape. You can't do anything about your body type, so I think you are just going to have to learn to live with it!
Czarina

Return to Weight loss Talk