It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:08 pm

Free Newsletter

Good show on tonight

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Good show on tonight

Postby chubbybubby » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:09 pm

There is a show on channel 9 tonight (In melb at least, Im not sure about other states, sorry) The great Weight Debate at 8.30, about different diets, weightloss plans etc, looks like it could be interesting :)
chubbybubby

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:25 pm

hi chubby bubby

yeah i have seen a lot about it in this weeks magazines- new idea and woman's day. usually i am in bed by 8.30 haha so i will try my hardest to stay up and watch it. it does look interesting.
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:40 pm

Thanks for the reminder! I'll definitely be watching (or at least listening while I'm doing other things). Hopefully it's a good show :)

There's also something in the Herald Sun. I think it's a quiz that you fill out while you're watching the show, not sure though...
SarahC

Postby Ally » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:19 am

bummer wanted to watch that, but tuned in here a few hours too late.....let me know what it was like guys please!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Dolly » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:54 am

Gosh I missed it, what was the debate, did they show which diet was the best?
Dolly

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:45 am

missed it- it was past my bedtime lol
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:23 am

I stayed up past my bedtime too... I didn't watch it, but I listened to most of it (can't sit still long enough to watch TV :lol: )

My memory is a bit patchy (like I said, I stayed up past my bedtime :( ) but here's what I gleaned from it:
- They had the contestants grouped into "lifestyle groups". Think there were over 50's, 16-25's, homemakers, white collar workers and blue collar workers.
- They went through the quiz questions throughout the show and each group recorded their answers. At the end they found out which group had the highest scores. I think the blue collar workers came last and the white collar workers won.
- They also profiled the different diets that the people were going to be using. There was the Atkins diet, CSIRO diet, Liver cleansing diet, low GI diet... and another but I've forgotten :oops:
- All the contestants had a particular colour wrist band on, not related to which lifestyle group they were in, and that determined which diet they were going to be trialling for the next 10 weeks. So each diet is tried out by a variety of lifestyle groups.
- 29th Nov I think they will have another show to see how everyone went, and to see which diet best suits each lifestyle group.

I think this is the website, in case I missed anything :lol:
Great Weight Debate
SarahC

Postby Ally » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:26 am

Thanks for that Sarah will check out that site! :wink:
[/url]
Ally

Postby Dolly » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:32 am

Thanks Sarah
Dolly

Postby Ally » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:38 am

I just found this on the web site that Sarah mentioned and thought it might be helpful.....

Portion distortion
By Donna Aston
If the first challenge is fine-tuning the palate to the pleasures of clean, healthy food, the second challenge is regulating how much good food you consume. Too much of a good thing can still be detrimental to health. Everything you eat will still be used, or more often, stored by the body.

You may have corrected the food balance so that your diet is a well-measured variety of protein, colourful plant foods and "good" fats, but even if you eat good foods excessively your weight will increase. There is such a thing as too many salads, shakes or fruits. Watch the volume.

Weight gain is primarily an energy imbalance where the calories consumed exceed the calories expended. Filling up on low-carb, low-sugar, low-kilojoule, low-fat goodies is going to show up on your waistline if your exercise level doesn't balance the energy scales.

Food portions are crucial in balancing those scales and correcting the dreaded plateau that so often strikes where the weight refuses to budge. If you want to get to 24 percent body fat but remain stuck at 30 percent it is because you are eating and exercising in the way someone of 30 percent body fat would. Change and your body will change with you.

Trim the portions, rectify the protein/carb balance or tweak your training regimen so that you burn more calories and the plateau will invariably shift and the fat will budge while you're still eating plenty of good foods.

Tips to keep portions under control:

Eat only at the table — don't do a Seinfeld and eat straight from the pantry or fridge.
Don't pick from your children's meals or feel compelled to clear the plate for them. If they are sensible enough to know when they're full then maybe your own clean plate means you have had enough too. There is also no need to force them, or yourself, to finish eating everything on the plate.
Downsize the dinner plate and only eat what you serve yourself. Don't be tempted to have second or 10th helpings. It's important that all meals have a beginning … and most importantly, an ending!
Take time to eat and enjoy your meals by chewing properly, savouring all the flavours of that healthy food.
Don't eat for stress relief because you will never be satiated. Eating does not cure stress and can often make it worse. Emotional eating tends to mean overeating.
Relax before you eat by walking or exercising. It prepares your body to be refuelled.
Never abstain from eating so much that you become ravenous. Starvation brings on panic and you will eat anything in sight. Temper your appetite by snacking on natural yoghurt, cheese or nuts.
Always ensure the nutritional balance is met in your meals so there is enough protein, vegetables (at least five servings a day) and unprocessed fats which also keep hunger at bay.
[/url]
Ally

Postby chubbybubby » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:47 am

SarahC, the other diet was the Great Australian Diet :P Surprised I remembered that! hehe
I thought the show was a little dissappointing actually :( Would have been good to see the results of the diets last night, rather than in Nov... oh well lol I had never even heard of the Great Aus Diet or the Liver Cleansing one.... well, I learnt a thing or two at least 8) xx
chubbybubby

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:05 am

thanks for the updates!!! ill tune in later in the year to see who was most successful :) cheers!!!
kate_turner2000

Postby Hayley » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:37 am

I tried the Liver Cleansing Diet about 4 years ago when we were living in Kununurra. I was on it for 5 weeks and lost 7kg whilst following it. I found it very difficult though. It's an 8 week diet program: no dairy at all, no sugar, no red meat, can only eat chicken or vegetables for the first 2 and the last 2 weeks and the 4 weeks inbetween are vegetarian only. Could have soy and linseed bread and sugar free lollies, could have soy milk (yuck!), but I actually got used to having vanilla soy milk in my porridge for breaky. It was very strict and that's why I couldn't stick to it....I also fell pregant and decided it wasn't a very good nutritional plan for a pregnant woman to follow.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuOdmgo/]
Hayley

Postby chubbybubby » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:31 pm

mmmmmm hayley, I looove soy milk! :P
chubbybubby

Return to Weight loss Talk