It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:06 am

Free Newsletter

Eating at night

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Eating at night

Postby workinprogress » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:36 pm

I find that my biggest intake of food happens at night before I go to bed. I crave chocolate and junk food then the most as well, do a lot of people have this problem?

I find that I can be really good during the day, sticking to healthy meals spread out evenly so that I'm not hungry but when I get home I tend to binge :cry:

Anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Much appreciated.

'When you stop hurting your body, your body will stop hurting you.'

Kristina
workinprogress

Postby Dolly » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:42 pm

Well if your mainly feeling like eating and snacking in the evening,
then I'd say you probably don't feel hungry when you first wake up.
How about having your breakfast at noon, your lunch at dinner
time and you dinner at the time you would normally like to snack at.

hugs Dolly
Dolly

Postby Ally » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:30 pm

That is a good idea Dolly.

Sit down and have a good think about why you are eating at night? Is it out of boredom etc? If it is take a look at what you are doing at this time....for eg watching tv. Try and reprogram yourself to thinking that if you have had dinner, then you are not hungry, you are eating out of habit. I was always a big night time eater and I find that by having my jarrah extreme choc drink at night it is not high in calories, but satisfies my choccie craving. I also may save other low calorie healthy food for night time. For example some diet yoghurt and fruit or one or the other. That way you are still able to have a small snack at night time but nothing that is too high in calories. Try having an apple as this takes some getting through with the munching and crunching!!! Hope this helps you!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:54 pm

I am (well, not so much recently) a BIG night time eater. Not just at night before bed, but also during the night if I woke up at all. And, I was still hungry in the morning regardless!

I have gotten rid of all the foods that I usually binge on, so those are not available to me. Fortunately, I'm able to do this as I live alone...

So now whenever I feel like eating after dinner, I most often have some raw veggies... carrot, celery, beans, something like that. Maybe try that, just eating some small healthy snacks rather than the junk food?

I've also changed my diet to a high protien/low carb diet, and I'm finding that makes me far less hungry and my cravings for food have reduced dramatically. So, I am less inclined now to pig out at night...

Dolly's idea is good too. But I'd still have something small when you first wake up, just to kick start your metabolism for the day :)
SarahC

Postby Garfield » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:45 pm

What usually works for me is just not buying any foods that are likely to tempt me at night. Well, it sort of works... there have been nights where I've had a huge bowl of muesli at 1am :roll:
Try to distract yourself for a few minutes... food cravings often pass faster than you think.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby workinprogress » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:04 pm

Thanks for your tips. I will start snacking on low calorie foods like fruit and veg (although those junk food cravings are a pain). I love Jarrah so I might just stock up on that as well :D

I think I do suffer with boredom eating at night as well, I've taken up writing in a diary to give me something to do when I get those dreaded cravings so hopefully that will work.

I've just got to keep up the motivation to finally lose the weight. Hoping most of it will be off by Christmas so that can be the ultimate present for myself :D

'When you stop hurting your body, your body will stop hurting you.'

Kristina
workinprogress

Postby TamaraP » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:07 pm

To stop me snacking at night, I ate something really good for dinner and normally quite late say around 7pm.

If I do get hungry at night I just grab an apple or drink water or a glass of milk.

Milk tends to fill the tummy and make you full.

If you keep to a regular cycle of eating same time every day you should find that late night snacking may stop...

Then again, the occaisional snack doesn't hurt does it :wink:
Tamara

TamaraP

Postby KimE » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:20 pm

There's plenty of great suggestions there.

If I want something after dinner I go for fruit and/or low fat yoghurt. I sometimes have diet or low fat desserts, there are a number of brands out there doing this.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Mandie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:31 pm

I have started brushing my teeth at 8.30pm... it's my cue that my mouth is "closed" for the night!
Mandie

Postby KimE » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:35 am

Excellent idea Mandie!

I don't usually eat after about 8pm anyway as I try to get to bed by 10pm and like to have a couple of hours food free before hitting the sack.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Fairie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:55 am

I can be really good during the day and can be so full after Tea but within 30 mins I'm looking for more to eat :?

If I'm not carefull I'm eating right up to when I go to bed with crackers & cheese, fruit, icecream, low joul lollies, mountain bread chips.
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby piglet72 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:45 pm

I'm a huge culprit for night time eating (before bed). I have created a bad habit of sitting up late and eating continuously while watching TV and it's purely from boredom NOT hunger!

So I have started allowing myself only 2 late nights per week and the rest I go to bed at a decent time (not only to get a good night's sleep but also to stop binge eating).

On my late nights after dinner, I allow myself a cup of tea with skim milk and a handful of almonds/sultanas/dried apricots. Then I slowly sip my way through a bottle of water. The water is so boring but it really fills me up and makes it unappealing to eat anything else because I'm too full!

Good luck 8)
Kate
Kate

[/url]
piglet72

Postby KimE » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:28 am

Good strategy Kate, you need to find what realistically works for you.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Hayley » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:46 pm

Good idea Kate....I drink loads of water at night too, which fills me up (although I'm finding I'm waking more at night for loo breaks! :lol: ). I also often have a small container of diet raspberry jelly at night while I'm watching TV after 8:30pm, it satisfies my sugar craving and fills my tummy too. Diet jelly is allowed as ofetn as I like whilst on TF diet, and I find it really helps me. Strawberries are aso really sweet and relatively inexpensive at the moment, so I have been cutting 3-4 strawberries in half and munching on those at night - delish...so sweet and satisfying!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuOdmgo/]
Hayley

Return to Weight loss Talk