It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:35 am

Free Newsletter

BMI... confused

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

BMI... confused

Postby TamaraP » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:53 pm

I am a baker by trade, so my weight varies from fat to more muscle than anything.

I was calculating my BMI today and to get to my "ultimate" weight I have to weight 60kg!!!!

There is no way I would be able to lose that much and continue working as a Baker.

My hubby is about 5-7cm taller than me and weighs 80kg... looking at him I would love to be that size...

Do you think considering I carry a lot more muscle I should not even bother with my BMI??
Tamara

TamaraP

Postby KimE » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:41 pm

If you are heavily muscled, like a bodybuilder, the BMI is not a good measurement. You will also find that the BMI is usually a range not an absolute. I am 5 foot 2 and according to the BMI the 'normal' range for that height is 46-61 kgs and that will most likely depend on which BMI you use to calculate. So don't get too hung up on it.

You may want to consider other types of measurements. Maybe measure body parts like arms, hips, waist etc or perhaps your body fat %. I have scales that tell me my body fat % but they can be a bit iffy at times. Mainly because I weigh in the morning and these scales don't really like that due to the body being dehydrated. So I usually do a separate body fat % reading once a week.

I kinda keep an eye on all of them, BMI, body fat%, scale weight, hips, waist as there are times when one barely moves and I see jumps in other areas. However, on here I only put down my weight.

But you know what, if you feel good at 80 and like what you see maybe all the rest is hogwash!
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Garfield » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:55 pm

I've found the BMI to be a good indicator for me, although I don't have a large percentage of muscle. What weight would you have to be to have a BMI of 25? Perhaps if you stuck to the high end as an indication and tried to get close to that? If that's still too low you should just forget the BMI.
You should measure yourself on how fit and healthy you feel, because that's the only thing that really counts.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby bride2be » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:05 pm

i try not to pay alot of attention to it.
my fitness and health are really not reflected at all in my bmi.
bride2be

Postby TamaraP » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:23 pm

Garfield wrote:I've found the BMI to be a good indicator for me, although I don't have a large percentage of muscle. What weight would you have to be to have a BMI of 25? Perhaps if you stuck to the high end as an indication and tried to get close to that? If that's still too low you should just forget the BMI.
You should measure yourself on how fit and healthy you feel, because that's the only thing that really counts.

I would have to weigh 55kg... my best friend is the same height and weighs that, she is too skinny for me... I still like a little fat IYKWIM
Tamara

TamaraP

Postby Garfield » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:47 pm

In that case you should do what makes you feel good about yourself.
[/url]
Garfield

Postby chubbybubby » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:56 pm

Personally, I would just lose weight until you get to a size YOU are happy with, not a weight, not what a chart says. I am 5'11. Supposedly my healthy weight range is 63-79kgs. :shock: I would look anorexic! I have big hands, broad shoulders, long legs, size 12 feet and I am 20 years old. At my smallest I can remember, (I was 15 I think) I weighed 74kgs, (I got sick and lost a lot of weight) even at 74 kgs, I was so thin I looked ill. I will never be smaller than a size 14-16, I know that, and I accept it :P You just have to get to a point where you are happy within yourself, and healthy xx
chubbybubby

Postby louise » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:12 pm

i find my body fat measurements to vary a bit depending on the equipment. My scales tell me I have 27% body fat, at the gym their scales tell me 26% and a friend's tell me I'm 33% body fat! (I'm choosing to disregard that measurement! :wink: )
[/url]
louise

Return to Weight loss Talk