It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:34 am

Free Newsletter

Am I the only one not losing weight?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Am I the only one not losing weight?

Postby Shay » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi hi!

So its been a few weeks and to date i haven't lost any weight :( I've been eating right and exercising, and neither my weight or measurements have decreased. I thought this might happen a little later when I plateau, not in the beginning! Its getting really annoying, and I'm not sure what to do (besides curl up in the corner and start crying "its not fair!"). I've haven't given up, but its bumming me out. Anyone out there similar or anyone out there with some tips or sympathy?
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Re: Am I the only one not losing weight?

Postby HappyGirl83 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:12 pm

I guess there could be a lot of reasons why you aren't losing weight...not enough calories, too many calories etc!

Are you counting calories or just winging it? Are you measuring and weighing the things you are eating? Drinking at least 2L of water?

So yeah it could be anything!

Have you tried doing anything different to make it shift? Like different exercises, cutting out processed foods, eating at different times etc?
My journey so far...

Sick and tired of wasting my 20's being fat!!
HappyGirl83

Postby Daisybeck » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Shay wrote:Hi hi!

So its been a few weeks and to date i haven't lost any weight :( I've been eating right and exercising, and neither my weight or measurements have decreased. I thought this might happen a little later when I plateau, not in the beginning! Its getting really annoying, and I'm not sure what to do (besides curl up in the corner and start crying "its not fair!"). I've haven't given up, but its bumming me out. Anyone out there similar or anyone out there with some tips or sympathy?

Hey sweetheart,

Like HappyGirl83 posted above. Maybe post what you're doing here and we can all offer some advice?

Daisy.
Daisybeck

Postby Miss Jo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi Shay!
I had the same problem when i started! I was 900gms heavier than you! and had so much trouble losing anything! (i still have trouble) how tall are you? if you are within your healthy range like me - it may be harder to lose! well i found that was the case for me! how much are you eating? I realised, thanks to the members on this forum, i was not eating anywhere near enough... which was why i wasn't losing anything! have you tried calorie king?
1st GW: 64kg
Final GW: 60kg

Postby fi_112 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:47 am

Hi,
I have always struggled to lose weight. I could see improvements in the mirror and my measurements would go down but the scales would drop VERY slowly. I think it was because I was always in the healthy range, and I did A LOT of exercise to turn fat into muscle. For example, in the last two weeks I've lost a measly 400grams! I'm very near the end of my weight loss journey and I have gone from about a size 14 to a small 10, despite only losing about 8 kg. Sooo my advice to you is don't worry so much about the scales, especially if you are lifting weights and eating protein. Just concentrate on eating well, exercising, and maybe measure yourself against a piece of clothing. I use my jeans!
Just relax though, because stress hormones make you hold onto weight!
Good luck xx
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby Shay » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:14 pm

HappyGirl83 wrote:I guess there could be a lot of reasons why you aren't losing weight...not enough calories, too many calories etc!

Are you counting calories or just winging it? Are you measuring and weighing the things you are eating? Drinking at least 2L of water?

So yeah it could be anything!

Have you tried doing anything different to make it shift? Like different exercises, cutting out processed foods, eating at different times etc?

Daisybeck wrote:
Hey sweetheart,

Like HappyGirl83 posted above. Maybe post what you're doing here and we can all offer some advice?

Daisy.

Hi HappyGirl83 and Daisybeck!

I was counting calories for the first couple of weeks but then realised I could do it without entering it into calorie king etc because i'd always forget to include something because of time. I know I eat about 1300 - 1600 calories a day.

An average day looks like this:

Breakfast: Oats OR 2 pieces burgen bread with vegemite, maybe a coffee every now and then if i really need it (skim milk, 1 sugar)

Mid-morning: Apple

Lunch: Usually a filling salad, like a tuna or falafel salad

Mid-afternoon: usually another piece of fruit, or a cup of tea, or one of those 97% fat free cup-a-soups

Dinner: A stir fry, or something else with a bit of carbs and vegies (not a meat/chicken fan)

Snack: might have a few spoons of ice cream if its not the skinny cow range, or a skinny cow ice cream (not every day, maybe 3 times a week) or some multigrain crackers with low fat dip.

I used to do classes at fernwood, but the spin classes made my legs huge! Currently doing my own stuff on the cardio machines and some weights. I play basketball at work every tuesdays too.

Miss Jo wrote:Hi Shay!
I had the same problem when i started! I was 900gms heavier than you! and had so much trouble losing anything! (i still have trouble) how tall are you? if you are within your healthy range like me - it may be harder to lose! well i found that was the case for me! how much are you eating? I realised, thanks to the members on this forum, i was not eating anywhere near enough... which was why i wasn't losing anything! have you tried calorie king?

Hi Jo!

I'm 1.62m, my BMI is around 25-26, so just over. I'm using calorie king, but not religiously. Hmmm maybe I use it like i use oxygen?

fi_112 wrote:Hi,
I have always struggled to lose weight. I could see improvements in the mirror and my measurements would go down but the scales would drop VERY slowly. I think it was because I was always in the healthy range, and I did A LOT of exercise to turn fat into muscle. For example, in the last two weeks I've lost a measly 400grams! I'm very near the end of my weight loss journey and I have gone from about a size 14 to a small 10, despite only losing about 8 kg. Sooo my advice to you is don't worry so much about the scales, especially if you are lifting weights and eating protein. Just concentrate on eating well, exercising, and maybe measure yourself against a piece of clothing. I use my jeans!
Just relax though, because stress hormones make you hold onto weight!
Good luck xx

Hi fi_112!

I've measured too, not much of a drop :( I'm not too fussed about scales, as long as my measurements still go down. I carry most of my weight in my mid-section and hips, and really would be happy if they went down in cm even if i didnt drop a single kilo!

Shay

Postby Daisybeck » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 am

Hi again Shay,

It sounds like you may be plateauing? My advice would be to stick with what you're doing and soon enough the weight will start shifting again. I remember about ten years ago I was losing weight and I went for about four or five weeks where the weight just stopped coming off. Luckily I stuck with it and it started coming off again eventually. One thing that I have found that helps (you may be doing something like this already) is varying your calorie intake a bit each day. One day eat 200 - 400 calories more, the next day eat 200 - 400 calories less, then add 200 - 400 more etc.... For me it seems to reboot my metabolism and helps the weight start coming off again a little quicker. I see my metabolism as almost a seperate entity and I like to trick it by being unpredictable with my daily calorie intake.

Either way, just stick with your current plan and the weight WILL start coming off again. But I know how you feel - all that hard work and you just want to see results as soon as possible and when they don't show it's frustrating and disheartening.

What ever you do you'll do a great job and I know you'll start seeing results again soon,

:) :wink:

Daisy
Daisybeck

Postby Oliviasf » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:05 am

Hi Shay,

I am so with you on this!! I have also been stuck it seems at one point. So, hun you are not alone :wink:
Someone suggested calorie cycling too, like what Daisybeck suggested, one day up your intake the next day be extra cautious.
I have done that for about three days and I've now dropped 400 g in that time - Amazing for me. Have a look at my posts for my progress.
Our metabolism is an amazing thing as it reajusts itself all the time, so - from what I can understand - if you keep it guessing you can use it to your advantage.

My plan has been to do something like this and so far it's worked:
Sunday: 4800 Kj
Monday: 5000 kj (or 5100)
Tuesday: 3600 kj
Wednesday: 4500 kj
Thursday: 5200 kj
Friday 3800 kj
Saturday 4800

This isn't exactly as my plan is, but it will give you an idea, so my aim for this week for example is to average 4400 kj, now this is quite possibly too low for me and I should be eating an average of 5000 kj with all the exercise I do. So for you it may be say 5300 kj, so one day go between 15 - 20 % below that. The next day go above. But it requires careful calculation of what you have each day!

Oh, I really hope it all goes well for you Shay. I think sometimes our system need a little shaking up esp when we plateau!!!
For me I think my body was used to me eating and excercising the same amount, so I've varied things alot.

Other things I'm personally doing, which may help you is to build more muscle tissue as this raises your metabolism and is healthier, and secondly drinking green tea in the mornings. I also try and eat more calories during the day than in the evening as I burn more around lunch time when I go to the gym.

Let us know how you go!
Oli
Goal is to lose another 2 kgs

Starting : 69.5 kg
Goal 65 kg - reached 5/11/09
Goal 64 kg - reached 15/01/10
Goal 62 kg - reached 30/04/10
Goal 61 kg - reached 01/06/2010
Goal 58 kg

Oliviasf

Postby Shay » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Daisybeck wrote:Hi again Shay,

It sounds like you may be plateauing? My advice would be to stick with what you're doing and soon enough the weight will start shifting again. I remember about ten years ago I was losing weight and I went for about four or five weeks where the weight just stopped coming off. Luckily I stuck with it and it started coming off again eventually. One thing that I have found that helps (you may be doing something like this already) is varying your calorie intake a bit each day. One day eat 200 - 400 calories more, the next day eat 200 - 400 calories less, then add 200 - 400 more etc.... For me it seems to reboot my metabolism and helps the weight start coming off again a little quicker. I see my metabolism as almost a seperate entity and I like to trick it by being unpredictable with my daily calorie intake.

Either way, just stick with your current plan and the weight WILL start coming off again. But I know how you feel - all that hard work and you just want to see results as soon as possible and when they don't show it's frustrating and disheartening.

What ever you do you'll do a great job and I know you'll start seeing results again soon,

:) :wink:

Daisy

Hi Daisy,

I thought i'd plateau after a bit of weight loss, but i'm plateauing right from the beginning, how sucky! :lol:

I've decided to do the calorie shift, yesterday i had about 1500, today i'm going to try for about 1200-1300.
Oliviasf wrote:Hi Shay,

I am so with you on this!! I have also been stuck it seems at one point. So, hun you are not alone :wink:
Someone suggested calorie cycling too, like what Daisybeck suggested, one day up your intake the next day be extra cautious.
I have done that for about three days and I've now dropped 400 g in that time - Amazing for me. Have a look at my posts for my progress.
Our metabolism is an amazing thing as it reajusts itself all the time, so - from what I can understand - if you keep it guessing you can use it to your advantage.

My plan has been to do something like this and so far it's worked:
Sunday: 4800 Kj
Monday: 5000 kj (or 5100)
Tuesday: 3600 kj
Wednesday: 4500 kj
Thursday: 5200 kj
Friday 3800 kj
Saturday 4800

This isn't exactly as my plan is, but it will give you an idea, so my aim for this week for example is to average 4400 kj, now this is quite possibly too low for me and I should be eating an average of 5000 kj with all the exercise I do. So for you it may be say 5300 kj, so one day go between 15 - 20 % below that. The next day go above. But it requires careful calculation of what you have each day!

Oh, I really hope it all goes well for you Shay. I think sometimes our system need a little shaking up esp when we plateau!!!
For me I think my body was used to me eating and excercising the same amount, so I've varied things alot.

Other things I'm personally doing, which may help you is to build more muscle tissue as this raises your metabolism and is healthier, and secondly drinking green tea in the mornings. I also try and eat more calories during the day than in the evening as I burn more around lunch time when I go to the gym.

Let us know how you go!

Hi Olivia, how cool we're about the same weight and goal weight! I think i'm going to have to up the gym time too, gonna do a 90 min boxing class today, watch me die :D

Shay

Postby Auntie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:07 pm

Heaps of sympathy from me!!!! I've been there. Not having a scale at the moment makes it hard to tell but I've gone months (MONTHS!!!) without losing anything. V discouraging, but don't lose hope!
Elle
28 y/o - 169cm - 120kgish - GW:55kg
Auntie

Postby Oliviasf » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:31 am

Hi Shay, mmmm we're on the same path :) Yay. Well I have plateau'd from the start too! Sucks but my thinking is, keep at it at the gym because muscle needs a lot more calories just to maintain them than fat, so if all else fails this is the saving grace. And really don't stress about bulking up. I build muscle pretty fast but us ladies don't quite have the same hormones as the boys do. PS I finally can feel my abs again! Just have to melt the layer on top :wink:
Oli
Goal is to lose another 2 kgs

Starting : 69.5 kg
Goal 65 kg - reached 5/11/09
Goal 64 kg - reached 15/01/10
Goal 62 kg - reached 30/04/10
Goal 61 kg - reached 01/06/2010
Goal 58 kg

Oliviasf

Postby miss_viva » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi Shay,

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, so I'm not sure what advice I can give you. Maybe you could consider varying your exercise routine and trying new sports or exercises to work different muscle groups? You might be able to 'shock' your body into action! I know it's frustrating not losing anything, but on the plus side, you've maintained your weight over these last few weeks and not gained anything, so that's a positive!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8rKpB/]
[/url]

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs
miss_viva

Postby Fireball » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:45 am

Hi Shay, the main thing is to stick to it and eventually it wll pay dividends. I agree with miss_viva, your body does adapt, so mixing your exercise up a bit may be the shot. Good luck. :)

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Shay » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:32 am

miss_viva wrote:Hi Shay,

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, so I'm not sure what advice I can give you. Maybe you could consider varying your exercise routine and trying new sports or exercises to work different muscle groups? You might be able to 'shock' your body into action! I know it's frustrating not losing anything, but on the plus side, you've maintained your weight over these last few weeks and not gained anything, so that's a positive!

Hi miss viva and fireball!

I've decided to mix up the exercise, at least for my sanity because its getting quite boring. This is my plan (stuck to it so far!)

Monday: RPM
Tuesday: Basketball
Wednesday: Pilates
Thursday: Boxing
Friday: Cross-training
Saturday: Body Pump
Sunday: Yoga

If it doesnt work, might have to start adding an extra 30-60 mins a day of cardio or strength training :(

Shay

Postby miss_viva » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:36 am

That sounds like a lot of exercise! How long are you doing these activities for, Shay? Are you sure that you're consuming enough calories? Perhaps if you're being too restrictive, your body might be going into 'starvation' mode, which can make weight loss harder. The only other thing I could suggest is to maybe consider having a few 'slack' days, and then getting back on track again - this might shock your body back into the weightloss zone :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8rKpB/]
[/url]

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs
miss_viva

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk