It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:40 am

Free Newsletter

Motivational thought for the day....

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Motivational thought for the day....

Postby Daisybeck » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:39 pm

I just got back from my walk. My walk starts at the top of a steep hill. I walk down the hill and along a back road and the total distance there and back is about 4.3kms. The last part of my walk involves struggling back up the steep hill I start from. This hill is so steep you almost have to walk on all fours to climb it. One week ago when I started all of this I had to stop four or five times walking back up the hill because I'm carrying 40 excess kilos and am desperately unfit. It was painful and I couldn't breathe. Today I just went for it and tried not to think about it. I made sure I kept my breathing steady and spent the steep climb looking at the scenery around me and not focussing on what I was doing. I astounded myself and made it almost to the top. I would have made it all the way up but a lady came out of a house with her kid and startled me and I lost my mojo.

My point is that by keeping my mind on other things instead of focussing on the task at hand made getting up that hill so much easier. Tomorrow I'll see if I can make it all the way to the top in one go.

My other point is this. Consider the work out that you are doing to take your weight off, whether it be walking, aerobics, weights etc..... Then keep in mind how much excess weight you are carrying. Take a skinny and unfit person. Strap the amount of excess weight that you are carrying to their back and make them do the workout that you do. Do you think they could do it? I'm carrying 40 excess kilos and I'm trying to imagine a skinny person lugging 40 kilos of weights up that hill. No easy task for anyone.

To all of you out there who think you're a failure because you find it hard and painful to work out and excercise please STOP feeling that way. You're doing an amazing job. We're all weight lifting champions!

:wink: :)

Daisy.
Daisybeck

Re: Motivational thought for the day....

Postby sarahm » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:13 pm

thanks daisybeck-that is a beautifully written post, and certainly uplifted me! you make a great point, you are very thoughtful to share this. :D
sarahm

Postby Gutsy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:28 pm

Well said & well done!
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcWjzFc/]
[/url]
Gutsy

Postby Daisybeck » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:10 pm

I just wish I could have tested out my theory again tonight but we had an electrical storm right overhead and there's no way I was going out in that so I had to use the treadmill instead. Weather permitting I'll see how it goes tomorrow night.
Daisybeck

Postby Daisybeck » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:17 pm

Weeeeell..... I almost made it tonight. Only had to stop once on the way up. :D
Daisybeck

Postby Daisybeck » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:17 pm

Made it all the way to the top of the hill without stopping this afternoon! I still can't quite believe I managed it. It was hard going and my legs were aching but I feel fantastic now with all the endorphins.

It's strange how your endurance mojo fluctuates from day to day. Tomorrow I'll probably have to crawl to the top.....

I keep hearing the theme from Rocky in my head. I think I'll have a glass of water and go watch it.

:D :D :D :D :D :lol:
Daisybeck

Postby Fireball » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:50 am

Good on you Daisybeck!

You are so right when you point out how much weight we are carrying, my excess weight is equal to carrying my dog which is german sheperd size + 2 cocker spanials. :shock: I imagine that is what I am carrying. My dog is big - no way a person could carry her very far, let alone add on the cocker spaniels. But we are doing it - amazing.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Return to Weight loss Talk