It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:54 pm

Free Newsletter

What's Everyone Doing?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

What's Everyone Doing?

Postby Libstar79 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi all...

I'm sure this question has been asked to death but what is everyone doing to lose weight? Are you doing programs, or just losing by yourselves? I'd love to hear from anyone!!!
:wink: Cheers Lib
Libstar79

Re: What's Everyone Doing?

Postby Shalimar » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:18 pm

I am on maintenance now (but still losing, I dont have it quite figured out yet) but I did my own thing, writing my food down in a book and then also tracking it on Calorie King once I discovered the site.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Libstar79 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:40 pm

Wow Shalimar, you've down a brilliant job! Being able to do it on your own is great. I couldnt stick with tracking etc on my own, I give in too quickly. Thanks for your response!!
Libstar79

Postby Shalimar » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Thank you and no worries :) .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Daisybeck » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:17 pm

I'm doing my own thing. Trying to keep to no more than 1200 calories per day and walking 4.4kms a minimum of five days per week. I've tried shakes (celebrity slim) but I found them depressing because I like to prepare and eat real food and I didn't see the logic in them. I figured for the same amount of calories in the shake I could have a healthy sandwich and I didn't see how a shake could teach me about weight maintenance or portion control. I also take a multivitamin each day just to make sure I'm covered.
Daisybeck

Postby Della » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:23 pm

Hey there!
I too have tried various programs, just to list a few:
- Jenny Craig
- Lite N Easy
- Shakes
- Proactal pills
- Slimming patches
- Weight watchers
- Atkins Diet
- Herbal teas
- Meal replacement
etc etc etc...

But with these, no matter how much weight u lose, u r bound to gain it back once u return to a normal lifestyle.
What I'm doing now is what I believe is the BEST way to lose weight in a healthy way.
- I keep a food diary fitday.com
- On most days I allow myself 1200-1500 calories depending on how much I exercised that day
- I try to limit sweets and junky foods. Replaced High GI foods with Low GI.
- I drink 2 green teas a day and at least 2L of water.
- I am currently doing a great workout video at home: Jillian's 30 day shred
- I also like to work out to ZUMBA- another great workout DVD (for ppl who love to dance)
- I also love to work in the garden so I do some weeding each day, and that's really exhausting.
- I was also prescribed Reductil from my doc for a kick start. On my first day today, no noteable side effects. I have heard it is good and effective. We will see how it goes.

I hope that was helpful. Let me know what u guys think.
XxX
Della
Della

Postby court » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:50 am

how much weight u lose, u r bound to gain it back once u return to a normal lifestyle.

That is a bit of a generalistaion Della! I am on Jenny Craig and the weeks I do on my own I still lose weight and I have no intention of gaining it back. Different things work for different people!

As I said Lib I am on Jenny Craig and I LOVE it - it has been 8 months and I have lost steadily - just trying to get the last few off now and it is a pain but Rome wasnt built in a day! I have also eaten limited calories in the past, cut out all white carbs and tried the soup diet... JC is the best program for me :) I havent been this light ever and i am loving it!

Good luck xo
court

Postby Della » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:02 pm

Hey Court,
Yeah I may have made a bit of a generalisation, it came out the wrong way.
I had success on Jenny Craig too, but what I find for myself personally, is that those kind of programs which are fully planned out for me do not help me in the long run.
Why? because you don't have to think about what you are eating, it is all carefully designed for you.
So once you stop JC, you have to control your calories at home, and that can prove to be tough since on JC you just relied on the program to do the hard work for you.
Yeah I know that there is a maintenance part of the program where they teach you to do it yourself, but it may take a lot of time and money to get to that stage.
Also I find frozen microwaveable meals really bland and overall unhealthy. I just keep thinking about alll those preservatives that must be in them.
That is why I prefer to do the JC method at home, with my own fresh ingredients and my own family as the support system.
I find that it helps that you train yourself into eating counciously, knowing roughly all the energy values of different foods and making smart choices.
I found that JC didn't help me build these 3 skills coz I was just doing what was on the plan.
Sure I lost 6kg in 4 weeks, but I gained back 10kg in the months after JC.
That is just my personal experience, but I hope it works for you.
xox
Della
Della

Postby court » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:15 pm

Hey Della thanks for your response! :)
Some people may find Jenny beneficial and the planned nature of it - I know I have it has definitely taught me things that I surprisngly didnt learn from the nutritionists and dieticians I had growing up!! 6 small meals etc etc. Buliking up meals with veges etc... Im sorry that it didnt work for you long term - I have been on the program 8 montsh and have found the structured "routine" of it very helpful in working out my metabloism and getting it to the point where it is working to its optimum... I disagree that you dont ahve to think abotu what you are eating I dont think about anything more!!
Maybe beciase I have been on the program for a longer period I find the idea of plannign my own meals exciting and liberating - I am addicted to salad and veges though so maybe that is just me :)
The meals arent bland AT ALL!! heeh I love them and look forward to lots of them!! I agree with you on preservatives so that is why i really enjoy my planned day - i am not really for ANYTHING artificial especially sweeteners etc..
i hope i dont gain back the weight - i cant guarantee i wont - but i sure as hell am going to be monitoring!!
take care and best of luck
court

Postby Czarina » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:44 pm

Daisybeck wrote:I'm doing my own thing. Trying to keep to no more than 1200 calories per day and walking 4.4kms a minimum of five days per week. I've tried shakes (celebrity slim) but I found them depressing because I like to prepare and eat real food and I didn't see the logic in them. I figured for the same amount of calories in the shake I could have a healthy sandwich and I didn't see how a shake could teach me about weight maintenance or portion control. I also take a multivitamin each day just to make sure I'm covered.

You have nearly 40kg to lose and you're only eating 1200 calories a day? You need to eat a lot more, otherwise you'll have nowhere to go once you get closer to goal. Check out http://www.calorieking.com.au, join up, put in your details and it will tell you how much you should be eating to lose weight at an healthy rate.
Czarina

Postby Daisybeck » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:19 pm

I actually got that 1200 calorie figure from the 2008 Calorie King Book.
Daisybeck

Postby HappyGirl83 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:20 pm

I agree with Czarina, Daisybeck!!

CalorieKing is unreal. Depending on your age, how active you are etc it will set your calories. I started on around 1900 and am now at 1750ish. This was for me being 26 year old 116kg female moderately active. And they also suggest you eat back your exercise calories, so the calories you burnt exercising. By not eating enough calories you can really stuff around your metabolism and you will get muscle breakdown because your body is needing extra energy (which you don't want because muscle burns fat!). CalorieKing has a "CK Uni" where you can learn so much about healthy eating and how our bodies work. Knowledge is power!

I have not gone without ANYTHING since I have started, just good old plain balanced eating. I still have carbs & chocolate, I still have weekend drinks and I still have meals out with friends. It's all about moderation and when you are eating enough calories PLUS your exercise calories you can achieve this so easily. Totally 100% forever sustainable!

Don't be scared of eating enough calories. Your body needs a certain amount just to get you around from day to day and it needs the extra energy for exercise. I have lost almost 10kg since the end of August so it does work very well.

Sorry to go on and on but it is really so very important for present and future weight loss that you eat enough calories!
My journey so far...

Sick and tired of wasting my 20's being fat!!
HappyGirl83

Postby Daisybeck » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:23 pm

I'm not scared of eating anything extra. Like I just posted above. I got the 1200 calorie figure from the Calorie King 2008 book. I'm not hungry in the least and I feel fine.
Daisybeck

Postby Daisybeck » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:32 pm

It's page three of Calorie King 2008.

Suggested Food Calories for Weight Loss, Women:

Non-active - 1000 - 1200
Active - 1200 - 1500
Very Active - 1400 - 1800

I'm sitting at a desk all day five days a week in my job and am always hooked up to a headset. I walk after work. So I'm classed somewhere between Non-active and Active. Hence the mid range suggested calorie intake of 1200. There's no point in eating more than I need if I'm non active 90% of the day, eating three meals a day and snacks and aren't hungry. If I was very active and in an active job then my calorie intake would need to be higher.
Daisybeck

Return to Weight loss Talk