It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:04 am

Free Newsletter

Help! Dairy Question...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Help! Dairy Question...

Postby mythril_hawk » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:48 am

Hi again all, long time no see, I hope everyone's journeys are coming along well!

I just have a quick question regarding fat content of dairy products when you freeze them...

This may sound odd but I like to freeze the light creamed cottage cheese you can get from Coles, it turns it into a nice treat sort of like iced-cream, just not quite as good tasting!

I also like to freeze the Nestle diet yoghurts and eat them like ice cream as well... It makes them last longer because they take longer to eat :)

Anyway my question is, does freezing dairy products that arent really meant to be frozen increase their fat content??

It might seem crazy but I have read a couple of articles that suggest that the fat content can triple and even multiply by 10 in some dairy products when they are frozen! That just seems impossible to me but apparently the fat globues' surface area expands or something...

So basically, if the label on the lite creamed cottage cheese says "3g of fat per serving" do I have to assume that to be 9g of fat per serving if I freeze it???

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers. :)
mythril_hawk

Re: Help! Dairy Question...

Postby Czarina » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:49 am

Ummm, no!
Czarina

Re: Help! Dairy Question...

Postby John » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:03 am

Can you increase the fat content by freezing something? No. When you put a container of anything into the freezer, then thaw it out, what you have is roughly what you had. It may all be pulverised by water expanding but if there were xyz carbon atoms (which are a source of energy) before, there will be the same number afterwards.
Heaviest weight: 94kg
Goal weight 66kg
John

Return to Weight loss Talk