It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:52 pm

Free Newsletter

Temptations

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Temptations

Postby workinprogress » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:15 pm

I was out Thursday night shopping tonight and now that I am on my diet I realised how much temptation there was when out shopping :x

I can't get my head around all the food on display every corner you turn, every step you take there's just food in your face. I never paid any attention to it when I wasn't dieting, anyone else notice this? I was actually quite disgusted with all the crap they are trying to sell to people, afterall the act of eating only lasts a few minutes and afterwards we feel like crap for eating the junk we did, I can only liken food to drugs. Normally I would've bought myself a 'treat' most likely cake or ice cream I guess that's why I never noticed it before.

I am proud to announce however that I did not give into temptation this time. I just kept picturing myself at my ideal weight and kept strong.

'When you stop hurting your body, your body will stop hurting you.'

Kristina
workinprogress

Postby Garfield » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:02 am

Man, I know the feeling. I have that kind of temptation in the shops now that I'm dieting, but only midly. I don't really have a problem walking past the strategically placed snacks at the checkouts in shops, but often I have a fleeting thought about just grabbing a chocolate for the road.
That feeling really hit me when I quit smoking. Nearly every time I went shopping I would have to get past the counter where they keep all the smokes, and each time it would have been so easy to just say "and a packet of Winfield gold" just like usual.
I imagine a lot of you would have cravings for junk food almost as strong as my old cigarette cravings.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby KimE » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:26 am

Yeah it's in your face alright. I usually make sure I am not hungry when I go shopping so it doesn't get to me so much and I stick to my list of items to buy. The hardest place for me is the petrol station, I just kinda stare at it all knowing full well I won't be buying any but still it's hard.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:38 am

oh definately notice this. i notice it more as you get to the end of an aisle and they have the bikkies stacked up high and the chocolates! they had dove blocks of chocolate at the end of one aisle, cadbury at the end of another one and cases of coke at the ed of the third one! its sometimes heart wrenching to walk past and keep going! im craving my chocolate at the moment with 'that time' approaching
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:07 am

It is unbelievable isn't it! There is not a single place you can go these days without seeing chocolate, chips, icecream, etc, etc, in your face. Then they keep whinging on the news about the "obesity crisis"... any wonder :roll:

It's a good feeling though, when you can just look at it and walk past.... and walk out of the shop without it :D

After you haven't eaten it for a while, you won't even notice it's there. It will just be scenery. Annoying scenery none the less :wink:
SarahC

Postby workinprogress » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:16 am

OOO I forgot to mention something that I found disturbing while shopping last night.

Was walking past Krispy Kreme's shop and on the window there was a poster it stated 'Sweet start to the day' and pictured 2 orginal glaze doughnuts and a cup of coffee for $4.00 (available only before 10:30am of course :o )

:shock: I was shocked...how can they encourage people to eat this crap for breakfast????? No wonder we have weight issues....

'When you stop hurting your body, your body will stop hurting you.'

Kristina
workinprogress

Postby MagicGirl79 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:45 am

Something else I've noticed since I've started eating healthy and losing weight is the number of "large" people there are in our society.
I live in Sydney so there may be more here than smaller towns, but I notice it way more than before.
And I notice it heaps more when I'm sitting in a food court eating my nice healthy salad and a big person sits next to me eating a big pile of junk food. I know I sound high and mighty and I promise I'm not, I just notice it more now. Sometimes I just want to walk up to a person and say "I used to be your size and I've managed to turn it around, you can too", but I know I could never do this.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:45 am

hi kate
i agree. even though im still big and i know some big people may not be able to help it for medical reasons etc, but since starting to lose weight myself i notice a lot of bigger people out there whereas before i started this journey i noticed a lot of thinner people. strange but true.
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:18 pm

You're perspective certainly changes as you change size. I haven't noticed what you guys have but people in general seem bigger to me now. Not necessarily bigger in size, but bigger in height too! It's strange...people who I thought I was about the same size as now look a lot bigger.

Yeah there is way too much easy crap food out there and I sometimes wonder if people truly know how bad it is for them when consumed in the quantities it often is. I never really had any idea and I could never have told you how many cals I ate in a day but I think back and shudder. Glad I have made the changes I have.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Hayley » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:40 pm

well said Kim....and yes, you've made some fantastic changes to your lifestyle so well done! I can't wait until I reach the maintenance program on TF and then I can't wait until after that when I 'go it alone' and have to make sensible choices while keeping everything in moderation and exercising too....will be so exciting and I know I will do it 'cos I never ever ever want to be that big again!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuOdmgo/]
Hayley

Return to Weight loss Talk