It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:58 pm

Free Newsletter

What should I be eating advice please

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

What should I be eating advice please

Postby Rochelle » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:40 pm

Hi I got go shopping tomorrow, How can I go shopping and buy healthy cheap food. How much do you guys spend on your groceries of lowfat food. I been told they are expensive to buy. Is it?
Rochelle

Postby Dolly » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:43 pm

Hi Rochelle
Yes some low fat foods are more expensive than higher fat foods. You can still have the higher fat foods if you don't want to eat much. But if you like to have decent portions on your plate it's advisable to stock up on low fat foods.

There are thousands of diets out there - soup diets, high fat atkins, low fat, high fibre, low carb but the ones that people manage to stick to the longest and have the best success with are the diets that give you balanced nutrition so that you don't crave foods.
Here is a classic days diet that covers all the nutrition needed.
Taken from the EasySlim Diet

BREAKFAST
30g of low fat high fibre cereal
1 slice of wholewheat bread
1 teaspoon butter or margarine
1 boiled or poached egg
300ml skim milk
1 piece of fruit preferably rich in vitamin C
Cup of tea or coffee

LUNCH
90g Fish (fresh or tinned)
Vegetables of your choice
2 slices wholemeal bread (no spread)
200g low fat yoghurt
Apple

DINNER
120g Chicken breast or lean meat
vegetables of your choice
120g Potato, rice or pasta.
300ml skim milk
Pear

Dolly

Postby Fairie » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:22 am

Hi Rochelle,

It is so expencive to eat healthy but I try to keep it as simple as possiable.
Lots of fresh fruit and veg, with chicken, fish and the occassional red meat
Dolly's sample of a daily menu is a good one.

Good Luck with your shopping
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Serena » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:55 am

Eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive. The CSIRO diet that I'm on is very expensive unfortunately. But generally speaking, informal dieting, or should I say healthy eating, can actually be a lot cheaper than you might think. If we aren't on a diet we might have takeaway several times a week. We might buy chocolate and chips and ice cream and ready made snack foods and sweet biscuits. All of these foods are really expensive in comparison to healthier options. You can spend $30 on fresh fruit and veg to last the week, $20 of meat will probably last you a fortnight (unless you happen to be on the CSIRO diet in which case it might last 2 days!) and then you have your staples in the cupboard which need to be replaced as they're used - pasta, rice, flour, cereal, tinned foods etc. But these things are going to need to be bought whether you're on a diet or not. I personally think that dieting is generally cheaper than not, unless you are on a formal program.
Serena

Return to Weight loss Talk