It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:54 pm

Free Newsletter

Clothes

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Clothes

Postby Fluffy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:23 pm

Hi there,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to "make do" with clothes when you are on a weight loss mission? I really don't want to be spending big money on clothes until I have reached my target but it is a big hard as some of my regular things are a little loose (and I am trying to save for a new car). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...
Fluffy

Postby corolla_chick » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:38 pm

op shopping is a great way to get cheap clothes.

or maybe people on this forum could swap clothes? as you grow out of something, someone else might have lost enough weight to fit into it. :D
beck :D

corolla_chick

Postby Ally » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:46 pm

op shopping is a good solution!! Look great without spending a lot of dollars!! Swapping clothes is a great idea, but the postage may be a bit of a problem!! LOL Alternatively with your clothes that are getting to big.....if you are a clever with a sewing machine, you may be able to take some of your clothes in (skirts, pants and shirts for example) or you may know of someone who can and barter with them!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby chubbybubby » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:10 pm

Definately op shops are the way to go. Loooove the op shops :P Another thing, although this might not work for you, I have t shirts and trackies that I pretty much live in daily, which is ok for me as I am a SAHM of a small child, it wouldnt be suitable if you were working in an office or anything though..... but I find that they see me through, and they still fit after losing some weight, so i dont need to keep replacing them (until I am at my goal weight of course, then its shopping spree! :P ) I also have a basic wardrobe (picked up from op shops) that see's me through any situation out of the home... I have 1 pair black dress pants, 1 nice shirt, 1 pair jeans, 1 dressy but casual top, 1 black skirt, 1 jacket. I think that is about the basics you might need (tell me if i forgot anything).... but so far it has seen me through xx
chubbybubby

Postby louise » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:31 pm

i get out the sewing machine on some items, i've taken in a few pairs of pants.
i also sometimes take them in a bit too much so they are tight and then watch them come to fit me nicely :D .
other than that buy some items that are highly elastic or draw waists, the sort of one size fits all type items, that will get you by until you are your ideal!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
louise

Postby Garfield » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:10 pm

Invest in a belt :lol:
While losing weight I perfected my gangsta chick look with my pants falling down and my undies hanging out the back. Let me tell you it is not a good look for girls lol.
Yeah, it depends if you need to look good or not. I was at high school, so I slopped around in trackies all day mostly. My grandma had to take my school skirt in for me (I'm useless at sewing). Anything with a drawstring is your friend. Tshirts don't matter how big they get on you, I still wear some of the shirts that fitter me when I was 20kg heavier. Again, that depends on if you need to look good or not.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby corolla_chick » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:17 am

Ally wrote:Swapping clothes is a great idea, but the postage may be a bit of a problem!! LOL

i wasnt sure how far away everone lived :oops: hehe
i have some friends i swap clothes with. its great fun!

also places like kmart/target etc often have really cheap racks of clothes (5-10$) in a wide range of sizes.
beck :D

corolla_chick

Postby SarahC » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:08 am

Factory outlets are another place to get really cheap clothes. We have two DFOs (Direct Factory Outlets) here in Melbourne, and there's one in Sydney that I know of. Not sure about other states. Anyway, I have saved heaps there over the years :D

You normally find that the more common sizes, say 10 - 14, are less available, but there are sooooo many 16s (anyone who is a size 16, go to DFO!!). Oh and racks of size 6 as well.... yeah right :lol:

Belts are a good idea too.... I have one on my shopping list at the moment :P
SarahC

Postby KimE » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:48 am

This has been a hassle for me...as much as I love losing the weight the buying of clothes is a little painful.
Op shop for casual clothes and I go to target for work clothes, although I did find some nice turtle necks from the op shop I wear to work too. Get pants with belts loops (you'd be surprised how many don't have them!). Casual t-shirts and the like I still wear what I wore 20 kgs ago like Garfield but depends on where I am going. I find now I do prefer to wear fitted clothes where once I preferred the baggy stuff but I just don't want to spend the money just yet on new stuff. Drawstrings and/or elastic waist bands are definitely great. Oh and if you're handy with a sewing machine strategically placed darts can help bring in the waist of skirts and pants.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby carlton » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:35 am

I tend to buy the basic stuff when it is on sale i.e. I bought winter tops from 1628 for $13-$20 instead of $45-$50. Exactly the same stuff but just on sale. Saved myself heaps of money.

I also think buying from factory outlets a great idea as well.
carlton

Postby MagicGirl79 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:08 pm

Another cheap place for clothes is Crossroads - they stock a lot of larger sizes and most things range arounf $20-$25 per piece.

I've also recently started shopping through ezibuy too: http://www.ezibuy.com.au
They have a clearance section where you can pick up some cheap tops and pants for around $10-$20.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Return to Weight loss Talk