It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:05 am

Free Newsletter

Mini goals or long term - which do you prefer?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Mini goals or long term - which do you prefer?

Postby Bec259 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:57 am

So I have set myself a mini goal of 20kg (not really that mini :shock: ) weight loss, which would take me to 95 kg. Apparently I have to get my weight down to 70kg to have a healthy BMI - I don't really know if I can get to that, I would like to get to 80kg though.
What's everyones opinion on setting goals - Do you set mini ones that are more obtainable or do you go the "whole hog" & keep the long term one in sight?
Bec259

Postby KimE » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:21 am

Hehe I have goals up the wazoo! I like both short and long term goals as I think they do different things. The short term help to keep me on track and help to motivate me. The long term is how I am tracking overall. I even have a daily goal which is more like a pledge I guess as it is simply to make good food choices and exercise. I have these all written down along with my reasons for losing weight, affirmations and achievements. When I get that ‘oh I’ve had enough, this is too hard’ feeling I go back to these and review so I can see what I have achieved and remember not to give up.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:24 am

i have just set a goal that i think is achievable and then when i reach that goal i can re evaulate whether i want to go further or if i can go further with my weightloss or not.
kate_turner2000

Postby Dolly » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:30 am

I'm aiming to get down to 80kg but I know I should go for 71kg if I'm to be really healthy (I'll see how I feel when I get there) :oops:
Dolly

Postby Ally » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:55 am

Hi Bec, I think it is great to have both. I have a massive amount of weight to lose, but my doc advised me to break it into smaller goals and I find that it has had a positive effect on me. Sometimes it is real easy to get lost in that "bigger picture", so smaller goals are more obtainable!! I have one big book that I can put all my thoughts and goals in. Happy goal setting!!

Kim that is great to have so many goals...a daily goal...I might just give that a go!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Bec259 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:58 am

A book to write all your goals & positive affirmations in is a great idea. I think I'll give that a go too! :D
Bec259

Postby carlton » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:33 am

As I have about 44 kilos to lose, I prefer the smaller goals in say 5 kilos blocks.

Thinking about how much I actually have to lose is too over whelming.
carlton

Postby slimmindown » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:48 pm

I like small and long term. I am currently 1.5kg off my first goal of 110kg. Then I have another goal of loosing 20 kg which is only to 108kg. My next goal will then be to get under 100kg. so with my mini goals and longer term goals it keeps me focused :D

one thing I personally try not to get to caught up in, is time frames. Like I have to loose this much by this time. It is good to keep some timeline in my head but i dont want to dissappoint myself to much if i dont achieve it. i tend personally to go day by day. Then before long its been 4 1/2 months and Ive lost nearly 17 kg. :D

Of course xmas around the corner is always in the back of my head :lol:
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby MagicGirl79 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:22 pm

I too have both long and short term goals. Whilst being in my healthy weight range 60-67 is my ultimate goal, I need to have mini goals to keep me focussed.

At the moment, I'm working on being a 70's girl before Dec when we go overseas.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby Bec259 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:07 pm

Wow, some of you have lost incredible amounts of weight!!! Congrats!!! I hope I will eventually fall into that category as well :D
Bec259

Postby louise » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:22 pm

i guess if your goal seems to 'crazy' or difficult it makes it easy to give up, so shorter goals are better and plus you can celebrate and be happy more often for achieving your goals! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
louise

Postby Puffer » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:45 pm

I have my 'big' goal of reaching 62kg, if I ever get there I might decide to go to 55 or so, I will see how I look and feel at that weight.

Right not I am struggling a bit and my 'goal' is simply to be lighter than I was last week. I also have an extra goal to get out of this rut and not let myself give up after 2kg!
Puffer

Postby louise » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:29 am

like you say puffer, one might say i would like to weigh this many kgs, but especially when it is a lot of weight to lose its hard to gauge just how you will look at that weight, so its more like i'd like to look something like this and that would be somewhere around this many kgs perhaps?
i guess its more about chasing an image as oppose to a number (really) but tracking numbers is a way to feel like you are getting closer to that image.
for me i am finding i am not losing heaps of 'weight', but i am losing quite a bit of 'fat', my weight is moving slowly, but my fat % is dropping pretty quick.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
louise

Postby Hayley » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:17 pm

Well for me, mini goals don't work so I have one major goal and that was to lose 25kg- Ideally I'd like to lose it before christmas (only 11kg to go).

Once I hit 68kg, I will then re-evaluate my goal to see if I want to go lower than the 68kg mark. I'm just not sure, I don't know if less than 68kg will be too skinny for me at 5 foot 10. I'll see when I get there I guess.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuOdmgo/]
Hayley

Return to Weight loss Talk