It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:09 pm

Free Newsletter

'Why are thin people not fat?'

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

'Why are thin people not fat?'

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:20 am

Did anyone else see the TV program 'Why are thin people not fat?' on SBS last night? It was great. They took a group of naturally thin people and tried to fatten them up over a series of weeks by getting them to eat far more calories than they normally do.

Two of the group quite simply could not eat the extra calories. They would feel ill if they tried to eat beyond satiation. One guy gained weight but, even though they did no additional exercise, it was almost all muscle. His body instinctively put on muscle to raise his resting metabolic rate to get rid of the unwanted extra calories. The others in the group gained weight but some gained less than others. The researchers postulated that these people may have started unconsciously fidgeting more to burn the calories. Importantly the moment they stopped force feeding themselves all of them quickly went back to their pre-experiment weight.

These thin people only ate what they needed and didn't feel hungry beyond that. The presenter compared this to another study where obese people were monitored and fed exactly the calories they needed to maintain weight. They were still hungry all the time despite the fact that they were getting enough calories for survival.

I get so frustrated when people who have never had a weight problem in their life lecture me on how it's sooooo easy to lose weight. I wish all of those people could have seen this show. If your body is telling you to eat more and gain weight constantly obviously it's going to be a constant battle to stay slim. People who are naturally thin simply don't have this same fight on their hands. This doesn't mean that it's impossible, or a waste of time, to try to maintain a healthy weight. But it does mean that people who are predisposed to weight gain need additional support, encouragement and resources that naturally slim people simply don't require.
EvilWombatQueen

Re: 'Why are thin people not fat?'

Postby lynz1981 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:53 pm

I mustve missed that program, sounds like it was interesting :D
Starting Weight 112 KG 01.11.09
Weigh In 110.1 KG 06.12.09
Weight In 107.1 KG 13.12.09
lynz1981

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:05 am

Yeah, I hope they repeat it. I checked out the SBS site hoping that it would be available for online viewing there, but sadly it appears not to be.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby rubyfox » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:52 pm

I wish I had seen that because this sort of thing drives me crazy. I eat far less than many people I know and do more exercise and am still much bigger than them - it isn't fair and people who haven't experienced it just don't understand. I know there are people who think I'm lying to them when I tell them what I eat etc, when they look at me and I'm still overweight and it is very upsetting. I was talking to a doctor last year (I wasn't there about my weight specifically but as usual, the subject came up) and he looked at me in the most patronising way and said "there are no fat people in a famine" - like that's supposed to help?! So basically he was calling me a liar to my face. I was so devastated I just started crying - but it made so mad because I know that's what so many other people think. I wish the results of these studies could be more widely published!
Ruby
rubyfox

Postby jerome07 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:00 pm

i can say that i am also naturally thin. i eat anything i like and i do not get that fat, i think because i have fast metabolism even i just usually sitting. but still i should have exercise it is healthier.
Last edited by court on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: advertising link removed
jerome07

Postby laura17 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:07 pm

I saw the ads for it but completely forgot about it! I really wished I had seen it because it is so frustrating when you eat a healthy diet, exercise religiously and it takes ages to shift any weight at all!! I come from a European family (Nordic, German, English, Scottish) and everyone is large, particularly hips and thighs. I know that genetics plays a huge part in it but it is incredibly insulting and frustrating when you go to buy new clothes and nothing fits!! Or as my mum found out upon a recent visit to Bras'n'Things to get a proper fitting for the first time in 30 years; sorry but we don't have anything here that will fit you. What was even more rude was the young girl was just that, young, no more then 17 and stick thin! Some naturally skinny people have no idea just how difficult it is for other people to either lose some weight or feel good with what they have. What about the people with metabolic problems or lymphatic problems?? Alot of these people have an increased difficulty in losing weight and some simply can not. There needs to be a greater awareness about metabolic, lymphatic and any other issues that hamper weight loss and I think there needs to be some type of education programme in schools that actually makes young people aware of this. Maybe if something like this was in place, then maybe bullying will decrease.
[/url]
laura17

Postby OhSheGlows » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Has anyone read the Gabriel Method? If you haven't I suggest do you as it's an interesting read. It's not a diet book but explains the reasoning behind weight gain and weight loss. To me the social experiment carried out in the mentioned tv show sounds a lot like the explanations in the Gabriel Method.

Basic the body knows whether it wants to be fat or thin and whatever you do to gain weight or lose weight won't work unless the body wants that to happen.

I hope they replay this show I’d really like to watch it myself.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wYJj0Pz/]
OhSheGlows

Return to Weight loss Talk