It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:28 pm

Free Newsletter

scales

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

scales

Postby ness » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:18 am

Wondering if anyone can answer my question?

Why is it when i weighted myself this morning i was .7 of a kilo heavier then yesterday?

I ate very well yesterday and did not do anything different. Just a little confused at why?

Should i also weigh my self daily? or is the scales a bad idea ?im not sure. I weight my self during the day as a habit

Any help would be great :?
ness

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:31 am

hi ness it could be that u havent had a bowel movement, i know that can make a difference. it could be water retention, i know that the water in your body adds weight until it comes out! plus it takes a few days for your weight to settle. some people cant help weighing each day lol but thats ok just make one day a week your official weigh day and go by that. also your clothes could make a difference and shoes so best to weigh in naked or wear the same thing all the time!!
kate_turner2000

Postby Dolly » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:40 am

Hi Ness, Kate is right it could be bowel content weight or water weight, perhaps you even weighed 1 hour earlier than you did the day before or it could even be your monthly cycle weight starting to build up.
My scales can go up 2 kilo or more in the evening with all the allowable foods and drink I consume.
The best way to check if you're really losing weight is to weigh-in once per week (and not take too seriously the daily weights)
Dolly

Postby chubbybubby » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:48 am

The other girls are spot on about BM's (lets just say I weighed myself one morning, went to the loo, weighed again out of intrest and lost .6!) Im not sure about anyone else, but my weight fluctuates daily, one day it will say 2 kgs lighter, the next day .7 heavier, then next day 1 kg lighter. I think its better just to weigh once a week cos its really easy to see your weight fluctuating and say "oh well, bugger it, Ive worked really hard and only lost .2" Try to keep it to once a week, then get and accurate weigh in, and hopefully a big surprise :D xx
chubbybubby

Postby Ally » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:57 am

Hi Ness it is correct that your weight fluctuates daily. It can even fluctuate within an hour time frame. this is why it is important to only weigh yourself once a week. I weigh in at the same time, in the same clothes each week. As women I think there is a little thing in our brain that run our days at times on our weight!! There is nothing worse than stepping on the scales each day and somehow that number can just rule our day. Also as Kate and Dolly have mentioned there are a number of factors that can make our weigh go up and down!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby ness » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:46 pm

Thanks so much for your replys i am going to put my scales away for a while and only bring them out once a week.
I guess because i do weigh my self each day that i can get very upset if i have put on weight.
i need to get out of the habit so that is my goal for this week not to weigh my self unitl next wednesday. Fingers crossed lets see how i go .

ness :lol:
ness

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:58 pm

good on ness! nice pledge and good luck for next weeks weigh in :)
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:21 pm

Hi Ness well looks like everyone has given plenty of advice and mine is the same weigh in once a week at the same time under the same conditions.

The other thing that is often mentioned here is to also measure parts of yourself and if you can body fat as well as sometimes the scales may not move and other measurements do. That way it you can see something is happening. When I joined the gym they weren't keen on my goal being a weight they were more interested in what dress size I wanted to achieve.

Good luck with next Wednesday! :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Garfield » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:04 pm

The first time I seriously lost weight (about 20kg) I didn't start out trying to lose weight really :shock: I started going to the gym to strengthen my back muscles (had a really dodgy back). Then I just thought I might start eating healthy. Because I wasn't specifically trying to lose weight I didn't get on the scales AT ALL. I eventually had to weigh myself for the annual ski trip with my school (months after joining the gym). When I hopped on the scales I took one look and told them their scales were broken lol. I was 8kg lighter than the year before!!! After that I didn't weigh again for about a month.
It was so motivating to see a really big loss. Towards the end of my weight loss I started weighing every week, but I didn't see any movement most weeks. That was really depressing for me.
Anyways, the point of all that is that maybe for some people once a week is still too often to weigh. If you are losing large amounts of weight each week, once a week can be good. But if you are only losing 0.3 or so per week (I am usually a slow poke when it comes to losing weight) it can be disapointing. It just depends on you... but I definitely wouldn't weigh every day, there are too many factors that could affect it.
Sorry for the long post... I know I'm rambling....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:46 pm

Hi garfield

:) my brother goes to the gym 5 times a week and has a personal trainer and he isnt allowed to weigh in each week he is only allowed to weigh in after 3 months. doesnt oprahs boot camp do something similar? im not sure.... but yeah you arent rambling at all you made a valid point :)

kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:39 am

I agree it is a valid point. I have read that monthly is better than weekly so why not even quarterly. Although....I probably couldn't wait that long! :roll:
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Weight loss Talk