Okay. Feeling pretty shite at the moment after failing to complete the high intensity workout on my Biggest Loser DVD. Sometimes I feel like I have gotten NOWHERE!
So I thought I'd inspire myself, and hopefully others, with how far I've come already.
BEFORE (I was approx. 136kg at my heaviest, I think, but have always been overweight)
- Mum was buying me clothes in an adult size 12 when I was in year 6-7 at primary school.
- I was laughed at and bullied at primary school.
- I got singled out by a teacher who told me I didn't have to do the the compulsory running races in the Sports Carnival, because it might be a health risk. I did them anyway, and came last.
- Felt worthless, went with any guy who asked (and that wasn't many!) because felt like I couldn't pass up any chance.
- Got told "nice tits, shame about the rest".
- Had to get off a ride at Adventure World in WA because the safety gear wouldn't fit over me. Had to walk past all my friends, and all the strangers/kids giggling.
- Barely fit in an aeroplane seat, had to put up with person next to me glaring.
- Shopping in "fat lady" stores when I was in high school.
- Going shopping in "normal teenager" stores with my friends, and only being able to buy earrings/accessories. And pretending I didn't care.
- Being unable to swap/share clothes with my friends, like everyone else.
- Largest scrubs at the hospital didn't fit. Had to wear DISPOSABLE PAPER SCRUBS. Paper! Everyone stared.
- Finally lost enough weight to fit into largest scrubs at the hospital. Hospital was out of largest size. Drove, crying, to next nearest hospital, snuck in, shoved scrubs in my back, drove back. Got yelled at by the surgeon for being half an hour late. Being unable to explain.
(there's probably hundreds more, but that's depressing enough!)
DURING (I don't want to say "after", I'm still too big. It's a work in progress!)
- Dated a few different guys, was able to say "no" when relevant.
- Met a guy who was into me because of me.
- Had so much confidence, I travelled to Ireland and lived there for most of a year.
- Bought a two piece bathing suit (tankini!).
- Shopped in "normal people" stores (still a 16-18 depending on the store, but it's NORMAL PEOPLE clothes!)
- Had SO many people comment on how different I look.
- Bought pretty, fitted clothes as opposed to tents.
- Went clubbing, dancing, etc etc.
- Completed the City to Surf in Perth TWICE (walking).
- Was able to joke about my weight, finally.
So, how am I doing?
I've come a long way. I have a long way to go. But damnit, I'm going to get there! Been working at this since mid-2004. I know I can make the old me proud!