It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:00 pm

Free Newsletter

Inspiration...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Inspiration...

Postby Mandie » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:42 pm

Okay. Feeling pretty shite at the moment after failing to complete the high intensity workout on my Biggest Loser DVD. Sometimes I feel like I have gotten NOWHERE!

So I thought I'd inspire myself, and hopefully others, with how far I've come already.

BEFORE (I was approx. 136kg at my heaviest, I think, but have always been overweight)
- Mum was buying me clothes in an adult size 12 when I was in year 6-7 at primary school.
- I was laughed at and bullied at primary school.
- I got singled out by a teacher who told me I didn't have to do the the compulsory running races in the Sports Carnival, because it might be a health risk. I did them anyway, and came last.
- Felt worthless, went with any guy who asked (and that wasn't many!) because felt like I couldn't pass up any chance.
- Got told "nice tits, shame about the rest".
- Had to get off a ride at Adventure World in WA because the safety gear wouldn't fit over me. Had to walk past all my friends, and all the strangers/kids giggling.
- Barely fit in an aeroplane seat, had to put up with person next to me glaring.
- Shopping in "fat lady" stores when I was in high school.
- Going shopping in "normal teenager" stores with my friends, and only being able to buy earrings/accessories. And pretending I didn't care.
- Being unable to swap/share clothes with my friends, like everyone else.
- Largest scrubs at the hospital didn't fit. Had to wear DISPOSABLE PAPER SCRUBS. Paper! Everyone stared.
- Finally lost enough weight to fit into largest scrubs at the hospital. Hospital was out of largest size. Drove, crying, to next nearest hospital, snuck in, shoved scrubs in my back, drove back. Got yelled at by the surgeon for being half an hour late. Being unable to explain.

(there's probably hundreds more, but that's depressing enough!)

DURING (I don't want to say "after", I'm still too big. It's a work in progress!)
- Dated a few different guys, was able to say "no" when relevant.
- Met a guy who was into me because of me.
- Had so much confidence, I travelled to Ireland and lived there for most of a year.
- Bought a two piece bathing suit (tankini!).
- Shopped in "normal people" stores (still a 16-18 depending on the store, but it's NORMAL PEOPLE clothes!)
- Had SO many people comment on how different I look.
- Bought pretty, fitted clothes as opposed to tents.
- Went clubbing, dancing, etc etc.
- Completed the City to Surf in Perth TWICE (walking).
- Was able to joke about my weight, finally.

So, how am I doing?

I've come a long way. I have a long way to go. But damnit, I'm going to get there! Been working at this since mid-2004. I know I can make the old me proud!
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:40 pm

Hi Mandie

yes you should be very proud of yourself! i am even proud of you and i bet the others on here are as well. thats wonderful progress. just think how far you have come and i bet you have every intention to NOT go back to being that way. it sounds like you have much more self esteem now and i cant wait to read what you write when you have reached your goal!!!

keep up the great work and dont be so down on yourself.

kate_turner2000

Postby slimmindown » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:44 pm

I agree with Kate, its hard not to get bogged down in the bad days. But you have down a terrific job so far. think back to how you were feeling when you first started loosing weight and how great it felt. Thats inspiration 10 folds i reckon.

Keep up the great weight loss Mandie ,i know ou can do it, cause you already have done so well

[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby Fairie » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:40 pm

Hi Mandie, you are an inspiration to all of us and amazing as well. 8)

I know how frustrating it is not being able to do something when you really want to but if The Biggest Loser DVD is anything like the workouts they do on the show then you have nothing to be ashamed of. I would never in a million years attempt it so good on you for trying. :D

Keep up the good work Mandie and know that you have inspired me to try a small 15 min walk and see if my injured ankle can handle that. :(
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Ally » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:03 pm

Reading that Mandie bought tears to my eyes (I can relate to a lot of your first section). Mate you have done so well and I think that it helps to write things down to actually SEE the achievements we have made in our weight loss journey. You have come so far and it is just a testament away to the next lot of can do's for you!! Double figures is in sight....just keep going, you are going to be able to add so much more to your next set!!

Often we don't see the amount of weight we have lost, or someone will pop up with a cruel comment and bring us crashing down, when we know we are doing so well. I think to myself now, that these people don't know what I have achieved or know how far I've come.....but I do and that's makes a big difference.

I agree with Fairie about the DVD!!!

Keep up the great work Mandie..YOU CAN DO IT!! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Fluffy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi Mandie,

What you have written has made me cry too - I can relate to all of it! When I was 12 we all got weighed in class for some project or something and I weighed 70kgs. I was the biggest in the class by far and I can remember everyone laughing at me. I am inspired to hear that you now have the confidence to say "no" to guys...I dream of someone asking me out! Keep going...double digits are not far away at all and then you will feel even more "normal". Well done Mandie!
Fluffy

Postby chubbybubby » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:35 pm

Hey hun
My god, your story is like a mirror of my own childhood/teenage years, basically every moment until now... yep the paper scrubs I had to go there too... along with paper UNDIES after the delivery of my son because none of the regular hospital ones would fit by big butt. :oops: I just want to give you huge hug :lol: You are doing incredibly well. Good on you for coming as far as you have, good on you for coming to this forum for support, good on you for continuing. The way I look at all the crap from the past is that I know I would not be the accepting, kind, mindful, tolerant person that I am today If it had not happened. It is horrible what went on in the past, sometimes even now thinking of certain events still brings a tear to my eye. You live, you learn. I now teach my son tolerance and love, regardless of race, colour, weight, appearance.... so I know that my past has become a positive... Dont be so hard on yourself. Congrats on coming so far. :lol: cant wait to get to know you better xxx
chubbybubby

Postby KimE » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:57 am

Thanks for sharing that Mandie you have achieved so much and should be proud of it. Writing these things down is empowering and a fantastic place to go back to if you are feeling low or like you want to give up. Well done *hugs*. :D

Don't let one workout get you down, I remember the first time I did the Tae Bo DVD I have and at the time I had been walking 6-7 days a week for about a month and felt pretty fit. I was completely knackered by the end, I didn't actually do it all, some of it was a bit half hearted as it was too difficult but I kept kind of moving anyway. I had a headache for the remainder of the day and was terrified of trying it again...but I did anyway and slowly I got better at it. I'm not sure of your training program but unless you have been building your body up regularly to that level of intensity then it wil be very hard to complete a high intensity workout. Maybe drop it back and do the level below that until it gets 'easy' (if there is such a thing) and then move up again.

Good luck, don't give up you are doing fabulous!
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:15 am

the good thing about dvds and videos is that you can pop them back in and keep trying til you build up yourself up to complete the whole thing :)
kate_turner2000

Postby jodie259 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:55 pm

You ARE an inspiration mandie !!

I think it's important to recognise your achievements as you have done. And you have done so well. Congratulations.

Keep persisitig with the DVD, and soon you will get through it without raising a heart beat! Exercise videos are great ways to measure your fitness. I joined gym recently and was struggling to walk on the treadmill... but I'm up to slow jogging now. And each time i do it I seem to push myself a little harder.

Keep up the good work. And keep adding to your achievement list. The dress sizes will keep coming down.
Mum of 2
Shaun born 27/05/06 & Shelli born 26/11/07
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHe6RPO/]
[/url]
jodie259

Postby jodie259 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:57 pm

and I forgot to mention something...

you should change your signature to:

I know I can... I know I can....
Mum of 2
Shaun born 27/05/06 & Shelli born 26/11/07
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHe6RPO/]
[/url]
jodie259

Postby Mandie » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:41 pm

Thanks Jodie, that's a great idea.. am changing it now! :D

You're right.. I do KNOW I can!
Mandie

Postby Mandie » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:24 pm

It's funny how reading old threads can inspire you all over again, isn't it? I had forgotten about this one... reading it makes me even more determined to get moving and lose weight.

I was talking to my boyfriend the other day and I said something about being shy, and he just laughed and said he couldn't believe I was ever shy. I tried to convince him I am, but then I thought about it and realised I'm really not shy anymore. I've gained so much confidence over the past few years, I am a completely different person. I have no problem chatting to new people and making friends, or trying new things. I even started doing karaoke in Vietnam, and the other day played Singstar (karaoke game on playstation) with my boyfriend and had heaps of fun hamming it up and dancing like a retard while attempting to hit glory notes (I can't sing to save my life).. and it was awesome! Thinking about it now, I realise this is something I would NEVER have done, in front of ANYONE...

I've come a long way... and I have so much further to go! I hope I don't get more confident, I'll end up having tickets on myself! :lol: 8)
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:31 pm

nice effort mandie

it doesnt just take weightloss to make you come out of your shell a bit more. certain experiences in life do as well- like your recent trip or having a loving partner in your life. but it certainly makes life worth living!!

what i have learnt is that life is way too short. no regrets, stay positive and you can achieve anything :P
kate_turner2000

Postby Dee » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:27 pm

Mandie you are a huge inspiration to me. Talking to you I have realised that agoal which seemed sooo far away is really within my grasp. I though that I had another 20 or so kgs to go before I could fit into 'normal' clothes.. Now I know that it's only 10 kgs away it seems that much more attainable.

I couldn't be bothered working out - youinspired me to get off my bum and move it.

So here's another thing you can add to your list of during achievments..
* Inspiring other people to make positive changes in their lives.
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk