It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:34 pm

Free Newsletter

Do you take suppliments?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you take suppliments?

Postby chubbybubby » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:51 am

Hey ppl
Just wondering if anyone takes any vitamins/suppliments etc, and what the benfit is, if any? I take fish oil (I get eczema, and it helps skin and hair) mega B complex, (mood mainly) Centrum Multivitamin, and evening primrose oil (helps with the moods associated with bipolar) Sometimes vitamin C.... but I am embarrassed to say only cos I like the taste of them! :oops: lol

Postby Hayley » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:56 am

I know what you mean about vitamin C tablets - I love the taste of them too, but I don't take any anymore.

I take a slow-release multivitamin once a day and I take 2 flaxseed oil tablets once a day (they contain the good fish oils and are supposed to help with your skin elasticity, so I'm hoping they will help my tummy when I lose my weight :wink: )

Postby slimmindown » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:12 pm

I take centrum multivitamin . I like the idea of increasing skin elasticity hayley, How have you found the results so far :?:
[no excuses, I can do it!

Postby KimE » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:04 pm

I have kelp tablets but forget to take them. :roll:

Have also been thinking of a multivitamin. Even though I eat a good variety of foods it's probably a good insurance, so to speak, just to make sure I'm getting all the body needs.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby Puffer » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:44 pm

I take two calcium tablets daily and a womens multivitamin.

I can only assume the calcium tablets are doing their job, but I know the multivitamin is, I feel much more alert and happy when I am taking them, and I really notice it the next day if I forget!

Postby louise » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:25 pm

i don't like to take vitamins, if i think i'm lacking anything i try to change my diet to get it, or else incorporate things with high nutritional value in what i'm already eating, like using flaxseed oil as a salad dressing, or mixing kelp in with a fresh juice.
i know what you mean about the vitamin c pills though, i know if anything i probably get about 10 times the reccomended daily intake of vitamin c, but when i'm visiting my sister she has them and i often will have one there just because they are tasty :D

Postby Garfield » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:46 pm

You have a good approach Louise. Vitamins from natural food are much more easily absorbed by the body than vitamins from pills.
Despite knowing that, I take a multivitamin and fish oil. My diet ranges from quite good to really appalling from week to week. I'm sure even when my diet is good there are things that I'm lacking. It's so hard to know how much of each type of food you should eat to keep your body in good condition and I can't be bothered calculating my intake of each type of vitamin.
Don't get me wrong, I don't take vitamins and then just eat completely unhealthy... I try to eat as many different kinds/colors of foods as I can to get most of my vitamins from food, but however hard I try there are surely some I'm missing.
I take the fish oil because I heard that taking extra fish oil, combined with exercises, can help you have stronger orgasms :shock:. No idea of the truth in that or whether it's just the exercises that work, but I thought I'd give it a try. Plus there is no harm in getting better skin/hair/bones/whatever else fish oil is supposed to help with.

Postby kristina » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:28 pm

gee what dont i take. At the moment i have a multivitamin, fish oil, chromium and inner health plus capsules.

Postby workinprogress » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:53 pm

My favourite subject :D Currently studying at a natural therapies college doing nutrition so they love teaching you the virtues of the vitamins....

Personally I think you can get too carried away as there is so much reading material out there that says you should be taking this and that etc, before you know it you're popping 50 pills a day and becoming neurotic if you forget to take one (well that was me anyway...)

I was spending about $100 + a month on supplements, spirulina, acidophilus tablets, eperiementing with different multis, almost overdosing on Vit A (can't drink more than 2 glasses of carrot juice a week or my skin will turn a tinge of orange thanks to antiacne meds I was on) and taking too much Vit E that my iron levels's all a balancing act.

Now after all the madness I have simplified it all. I still firmly believe that we need to take a multivitamin because of the lack of vitamins found in fruit and vegies (processing, shelf life and cooking along with the pesticides diminsh the vitamins in natural food) and we don't have enough omega 3 in our diets so I take one Blackmore's time release multi, 2 fish oil capsules (used to take flaxseed but that's a different type of omega 3) iron supplement with a vitamin C drink to help absorption. I find this combination works well for me and doesn't dent my wallet.

Currently searching for some good protein shakes to supplement my intake as I really don't eat a lot of meat, is anyone else using a good protein shake they can recommend?

'When you stop hurting your body, your body will stop hurting you.'

Postby Chrissy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:15 am

I am a bit pro supplements as I reckon there is no way we can get all we need everyday just from our diet.

I take a slow release woman’s daily multivitamin, calcium for my bones (I have CD so am susceptible to osteoporosis), chromium picolate for my sweet tooth, Vit B's for stress, fish oil for the omegas, zinc excellent for the brain, Vit C antioxidant and a couple more. Kelp is very good for weight loss.

I feel offish of a day if I forget to take the supplements. My Mom has Alzheimer’s and my Dad has looked very seriously into vitamin and mineral supplements to help my Mom and she is doing a lot better now she takes them. We need certain minerals to function correctly.

Like you said just be careful, overdosing is dangerous, everything in moderation hey.

Postby pixychic86 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:34 pm

i take 2 blackmores women's D-stress multivitamins each morning.

i honestly find i get more out of my dayand feel better when i take them. alot of people say they are useless, and they can be if your normal diet isnt adequate enough. i just find they give me that extra boost.

Postby SarahC » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:54 am

I too am a nutritional pill junky :oops: It is definitely very easy to get carried away, particularly with all the loads of information that is out there. I was up to 20+ tablets per day, but managed to pare it down a bit now!

I have found a pretty good protein shake. It is LadyBird Figure Tone. I like it as it is 82% protein and can be used as a meal replacement (breakfast yum :lol: ) as it has all the vitamins/minerals. Also it's not milk-based, but it does contain whey protein, which as I found out is derived from milk solids... I'm basically vegan so I take notice of these things :roll: Oh and it's way cheaper if you order it from Complete Health

Another good one is Nature's Way soy protein. That is available in all the supermarkets. I get the natural flavour one as it's higher in protein. As it's a bit bland, I load it with sweetner, or blend it in with some fruit and soy milk.

The same LadyBird brand has a good multivitamin. It's in a capsule, with the loose powder inside. My mind says this would be easier for the body to break down than a tablet. (Does anyone know how many vitamin tablets end up in sewage farms?? Amazing :shock: )

I also take Chromium Picolinate for sugar cravings, vitamin B5 for stress (hoping this will also help reduce cortisol levels, which I am sure are responsible for those annoying leftover fat deposits... wonder if anyone knows about this?), and ThermoSlim Plus for my metabolism (or lack thereof!).

When I remember, I take liquid L-Carnitine before I go for my workouts, as it helps the body to use up fat stores for energy. I can actually notice this one working, as I am far warmer during the workout than without it. I remembered to take some this morning and, even though it was a freeeezing morning, I was hardly cold at all :)

During TTOM I also take a herbal diuretic for fluid retention, evening primrose oil, and Vitex, which work pretty well.

I am a very good girl and religiouly eat my 5 veg and 2 fruit every day. But on occasions when I don't I take an Agel EXO. It's a little packet of gel that contains a big dose of antioxidants... apparently equivalent to 3-5 serves of fruit/veg :shock: Anway, I just think they're yummy.

Most likely I don't need any of this as my diet is pretty good and every blood test I've had has been spot on. The things we do :roll:

Return to Weight loss Talk