It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:19 am

Free Newsletter

Scared!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Scared!

Postby harmiesmum » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:20 pm

I have made the decision to finally work towards a healthier future, a family member of mine has been diagnosed with diabetes and together as a family
we are all taking the plundge (so to speak)

But I must admit I am scared, I have been this weight for so long, am used to my unhealthy and prety non physical lifestyle that I am not certain I am going to make it, Like many people I have tried dieting before but would love to hear some tips from people in the same position as me.

How did you finally decide, this is it, this time i am focused? and what is the best way to lose fat at a good rate so to allow my skin to shrink back as much as possible?

Sorry, for the ramble, I am new to this site/forum.

All feedback welcome.

Thanks!
harmiesmum

Re: Scared!

Postby genie3249 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:53 am

Congratulation!!! :D You have taken the first step by making the decision to improve.
My portly self has been there for 25 yrs and I too have made the big decision.
Dont stress, dont add any extra pressure to yourself. You CAN do it, we CAN do it.
I cant give too many tips just yet but heres a couple of things I am implementing.
1. Exercise in the morning
2. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.. don't skip it
3. Stay OFF the scales except for your weigh in day.

Exercise is something I never did. Now I am aiming for 10.000 steps a day....but I'm not stressed by the numbers.. as a senior I'm entitled to a discount anyway and the experts give a time limit for the steps. Well they can take their clock and keep it.. I'm retired I do nothing to the clock anymore. I started at 2500 steps and I can tell if I'm getting faster.. forget the clock

Breakfast.. whats that , havent eaten it in years but now I see the importance of it I have started to.

Scales.. what scales. I never owned a pair, didn't care either. Now I fight to force myself to stay off them except for weigh in day... no getting discouraged

Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers
Genie
genie3249

Re: Scared!

Postby liv_twinmummy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:12 am

harmiesmum wrote:How did you finally decide, this is it, this time i am focused? and what is the best way to lose fat at a good rate so to allow my skin to shrink back as much as possible?

Good on you for taking the plunge! It isnt easy, if it were we'd all be healthy and slim and there'd be no forums like this :) For me, Im 30 and have 4 little girls. My last pregnancy was with twins (now 9mths) I had the gestational diabetes with them and the preg before that. That was enough to make the decision to do something about it! Although it went after the babies were born, I now have a HUGE risk of developing it later in my life. I know sometimes we cannot control whats inevitable however, I have made a decision and that is that I WILL NOT GET DIABETES!

My daughters now have a risk also because of me! So apart from the the usual side effects from being overweight and unhealthy, I dont want to raise 4 children and not be able to play with them, be a positive and healthy role model for them or see them grow up! We've only been given 1 body and we need to treasure it!! Also what helped me was learning to love me. I know its a bit querky but if we self loath then we seem to punish ourselves by 'eating badly'...Not sure if that helps?? Its easier said than done I know, and you can have everything to help you but you need to be in the right frame of mind, and thats been a hard one for me :?

Goodluck and stay with it all x
liv_twinmummy

Return to Weight loss Talk