It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:37 am

Free Newsletter

excercising at home?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

excercising at home?

Postby leisha » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:41 pm

hi everyone,

i just purchased a fighting fit dvd, sort of a kickboxing excercise dvd, it goes for approx 40 mins, I was wondering would a dvd like this be a good way to lose weight at home, or would i still need to walk or ride ? I know both would be best, but would the dvd be enough for the day? Has anyoje else had good success using fitness dvds', ? I'm trying to lose a kilo a week,

Leisha :)

Postby KimE » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:57 pm

Hi Leisha

I think it depends on how regularly you are thinking of doing it. If you're looking at 4-5 times per week and it gets you huffing and puffing a bit then that's gotta be good for you. Something to think on is the bod does like to be kept guessing so it doesn't just get used to whatever you do which is why the other exercise may still be useful.

I use a Tae Bo Cardio DVD that goes for 40 mins but probably do it only once a week although I do often use the first 10 mins to warm up for weight training as it seems to work the whole body. I actually got it so if it rains and I don't get to walk or whatever that I would still be able to do a cardio workout for the day. Hence when it is good weather I don't use it as much. I have it stuck in my head that my waist is only getting smaller due to that DVD...could be rubbish but you know how the brain gets. I do know I get a reasonable work out from it!

That's just my two cents worth, ultimately, any exercise you do is good for you, provided you follow the instructions and build up the intensity slowly if you're new to it.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby louise » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:02 am

i think walking or riding to get yourself about is great to do. the DVD sounds good too, but i find riding to get places is great, because it serves a number of purposes, getting you where you want to go, getting you exercising, reducing carbon emmitions and getting you experiencing your surroundings.....

you can do it

Postby sarafina777 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:42 am

I think it's fine to exercise at home through a video. My friend lost 20 + kilos through using exercise videos, good healthy eating choices, and running a couple of times per week.

Another friend of mine lost about 13 kilos and the only exercise she did was aerobics oz style, five mornings a week.

so you can do it. Just make sure you also eat well, and really make an effort to sweat during your exercise, I think.

Good luck!

Postby MagicGirl79 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:42 pm

If it's a 40min DVD and you can feel yourself working whilst doing it, it would definitely be enough for that day. I would alternate the DVD with a day walking/jogging. Maybe try to add in a day of weights exercises also. I bought some hand weights from Rebel and use them as weight resistance as well as cardio.

Return to Weight loss Talk