It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:19 pm

Free Newsletter

Duromine

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Duromine

Postby 3messymunckins » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:31 pm

Does anyone take this?
I have the prescription but havnt filled it yet.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wQvxzbv/]
3messymunckins

Re: Duromine

Postby Carley » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:24 pm

what is it for? Maybe I should google it? :roll:
Goal for 2016:
Current weight: 94 kilos
Starting weight: 102.5 kilos
Goal #1: 92 kilos
Carley

Postby Carley » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:26 pm

I don't think Duramine is a good answer to long-term weight loss. While it might be nice to think a pill can make our lives easier, it doesn't teach you to eat well, exercise sensibly or be patient and determined.

It's a form of speed, and you risk all the side-effects that come with it. I always think it's a bit dodgy when we look outside ourself to change something that needs to be fixed from within.
Goal for 2016:
Carley

Postby HappyGirl83 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:56 pm

I agree with Carley...I'm not into this whole drugs for weight loss either.

What about good old fashioned eating right, exercise and hard work??

Each to their own though, I think there is a Duromine thread on here somwhere, might be best to ask there.
My journey so far...

Sick and tired of wasting my 20's being fat!!
HappyGirl83

Postby miss_viva » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi there and welcome :)

I COMPLETELY agree with the previous posts, I don't believe that duromine is a long term and healthy solution to our weight issues. As Carley and Happygirl both said, taking a pill doesn't teach you about healthy eating choices or exercise, and doesn't solve the underlying issues as to why you put on weight in the first place. Also, what happens when you stop taking the pill? You need to have a foundation of a good diet and adequate exercise in place, otherwise you will just end up regaining the weight you have lost. If you can get that under control, there is no reason why you can't lose weight without using drugs. I'd hate to think of all the other effects that this drug would have on your body too. Each to their own though, and some people have achieved some results with this drug.

Eating well and exercising regularly may take longer, but trust me, it is well worth it :)

All the best!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8rKpB/]
[/url]

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs
miss_viva

Postby queen_bee » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi there
I just got my Duromine 2 days ago, and so far not much to report on the side effects side, but energy levels are definitely up....but havent had trouble sleeping yet which is great
Maybe a little bit of dizzyness when i move my head to fast but so far so good
I m on 30mg and it wasnt something I was going to the dr to get initially, i was going more to see why I had put on so much weight after starting my setraline since alot of people actually loose weight....it seems to me like I am so relaxed that i havent seemed to be concerned with what i ve been eating, now consequently 3 dress sizes later i m the heaviest i have ever been
I agree with previous posts, the pills themselves are not a long term solution but the ability they give you to actually get into good healthy habits and routines is....
so far I am feeling like if someone asked me what i wanted to eat i would have no idea.....which is good, as the thought of certain things doesnt trigger a
"no i dont feel like that response"..which means I am having healthier options instead and only feel like small serves
I have to say i was very hesitant about taking this while on my anti anxiety meds but its unfortunate I needed something to counteract it....
I have also been given a script for 1 months reductil after i fin this month of duromine
I would love to hear any other peoples stories too and see how its improved or not improved their lives :)

B
xxxxx
queen_bee

Postby Carley » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:13 pm

I've heard when people stop taking these pills they gain a lot of weight back.
Goal for 2016:
Carley

Postby Downsizeme » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:02 pm

I went through a phase of thinkng "if only I could get my hands on some Duromine" but I am glad my doctor said "no way" now - as I think it could be a false sense of security for me. When you stop taking it, and eventaully that's gotta happen, what do you do about all those hunger pains when they come rushing back?

I guess it would come down to 2 things, how badly you would want to keep that weight off, and if you had learned how to control the behaviours that had got you to that weight in the first place.

For me, I couldn't do it - as bad as it seems, I got to the ripe age of 39 without actually having a clue about a balanced meal. I'm still on a crutch, I use Jenny Craig, because I need to know what portions normall people eat - surpisingly, normal people do not eat 9000 calories a day!! Who knew!! :D And when I lose my weight (and I will) who knows if I will put it back on? (I won't) But that is not because of the eating plan, it's because I am at a crossroads where the only path for me to take is to a healthier life. I cannot and will not fail.

All joking aside, it's not for me to critique any diet plan, change of lifestyle - whatever, and if it's working for you, then good luck to you & best of luck keeping it off.
Changing my life, one ounce at a time.

I started this journey on Feb 2 2010 and though I would like to be a size 5 by June, I am prepared to accept that it might take a bit longer :D

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHHCsTy/]
[/url]
Downsizeme

Postby dietmehappy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share my experience incase anyone reading this is thinking about going on Duromine. This is my Third week on Duromine 30mg. It was percribed to me by my doc, as i had lost 13 kilos in 5 months through working out with a personal trainer and following a healthy eating plan. However for the past four weeks, although still training hard (infact, harder) my weight loss has been at a standstill - ahh the dreaded plateau! So she percribed my 2 months worth of Duromine to push me over the edge. I was 128.8 kilos to start with and I am a 21 year old female who has been battling weight (physically and phycologically) from the age of seven. I am finally doing this, and i hope duromine helps me along the way. Here is my experience so far:

First week I lost 2.9 kilos. Second week i lost 2 kilos. I am half way though my third week and im thinking it will be a similar result this week. This was whilst training with my PT as normal and also following my eating plan as normal. I was really happy and it motivated me to push that little bit harder and stronger at the gym. I was not hungry. I had to remind myself to eat. This was an excellent tool in making me realise how much of what i eat (and what we eat as a society) stems from actual hunger as apose to habit or setting. For example, I was not hungry all day and had to be strict with myself to eat small healthy meals every 3 hours (as i have been for 5 months - i really dont want to stuff up my metabolism now after all the hard work!) however then i went out to tappas and drinks with friends - and I found myself reaching for the dip of salsa even though i was not hungry at all! This gave me the key to realising how much of what i eat is not satisfying anything else but an old habit! an even more intersting thing is that i had a just had a few sea weed crackers, and about half of a salsa chicken breast (sauce on the side) and found that not only was i not hungry but no one i was out with even noticed that i had eaten less! This was excellent as I feel duromine works in the fact that it takes away the 'im so hungry i could eat anything AKA 'stuff the diet, order the parma + chips, start again tomorrow, you only live once' type of thinking, and therefore leaves me open to making better choices without that devil on my shoulder. So from this perspective, it is great.

...and now for the bad news. (if you cant stomach the gory details, dont read on because im going to be honest) Now that you know all the positives (and there are some as you can see, which is why, despite its side effects, duromine is so damn popular) but now you need to know the bad and the ugly. Ever been sea sick? or had any sort of motion sickness? - Well you know that point when you feel sooo ill and green, just before you are going to be sick? Well that is what I have felt like most of the time on this drug. Nausea in the morning, noon and night. It's worse than sea sickness because atleast when you are sick then you feel alot better - but this type of nausea is sitting on the very edge, making you feel so ill. I have vomitted twice, on my second and third days of taking duromine. I seriously considered throwing in the towel, went back to my doctor - who assured me that i knew the side-effects and that they should settle down after a few days. I battled on, and have been feeling crook eversince. It comes in waves. Another side effect is dry mouth, which is easily handled. The third and very unpleasant side effect i have noticed, during the send of the first week and every 4 or so days since, is that i have constipation. Really bad, painful stomach crap consitipation. The first time had this side effect, i took my grandmas never fail 'cure' prune juice and some kind of wierd laxative powder (which has ALWAYS worked in the past) but NOTHING HAPPENED. by the end of the next day, i was really worried. On the 5th day, the most unpleasant thing ever happened - I was working and i had the worst toilet attack ever - had to hang up the phone on a client and run like hell. About three hours later, i had to run out of a meeting (didnt even have time to make my excuses) to run to the loo. Awful. This has been a re-occuring cycle over the past 3 weeks.

So, there you have it - the good, the bad and the ugly. You may ask yourself 'why the hell is she still taking the stuff with all these horrible side effects' and my answer would be
oh the things we do to be thin!' seriously though, I have had enough of the nausea. This week is my last week (end of week three) i have moved off the plateau (i hope) and this has given me the motivation to keep pushing hard during training which will hopefully mean that my training and healthy eating will be enough to take me through the next 20 or so kilos till the next plateau. Not sure if I would try it again, but that is easy to say from this side of the fence (i.e off the plateau and on the down hill slide again) however next time that plateau hits, it may be a different story! Ill keep you posted!

Congrats to us all for achieving our goals! We rock!

Dietmehappy
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wynN5Dd/]
[/url]
dietmehappy

Postby mariak » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:51 pm

What ever you do dont take Duromine. I was on and off diet pills since 16 years of age. I'm now in my early 50's and I'm bigger than I've ever been in my life. Yes, the diet pills make you lose weight because you just dont feel like eating and if you dont eat your body goes into famine mode and stores fat cells...so that when you do start to eat 'normal' again you'll actually put on weight. Read the 'Diet Dilemma' by Rosemary Stanton...she opened my eyes to what I had been doing to my body for all those years. There are many books out there but this is the one that got me off pills. I wish I had picked up the book before my twenties because thats when I really went to town on pills. Healthy eating and a little exercise, staying focused on your goal is what its all about...it really is a lifestyle change. Its up to you what you do with your body but speaking from my own experience, it really is not a good idea to start the diet pill rollercoaster.
mariak

Postby tiddliewinkz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:20 pm

there is a massive thread about duromine in the true stories section... its come to a standstill lately but I read through the whole thing before making up my mind on whether or not to take it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wydYwIn/]
[/url]

1st goal... 65kg by the end of June 2010
2nd goal... 60kg by the end of August 2010
3rd goal... 55kg by the end of October 2010
Final goal... maintain it FOR EVER!!!
tiddliewinkz

Postby cloza » Fri May 14, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi everyone,
im new here today, this is my first post and i've just searched 'duromine' to see other peoples stories and how they are going with it as i am also using it to kick start my weight loss.
I am 16 years old (almost 17) and my doctor straight out just gave the duromine perscription to me, no questions asked ..
ive read about how doctors only put people on this type of drug if you are over weight. i know i have alot of weight to loose but what weight do you have to be to be classed as 'over weight' ? i am around 163cm and i weight about 80 kg. I have tried many many diets and excercises and still there is no improvement in my weight so i turned to duromine.
whilst i was at the doctors, the doctor took my blood pressure, weight and height then sent me on my way, i asked a few quesetions but they werent really answered with great detail so i dont fully understand what im supposed to be doing. :?
i know a couple of people who are using duromine and one of them had suggested it to me because he noticed that i'm very harsh on myself and down on myself about my weight.
i have done alot of research on it and found alot of scary/negative stories, but my main concern is that when you finish the tablet you gain alot of the weight back on, which i hope that isn't going to happen if i can change my eating patterns and excercise patterns. i just need to learn how to do that.
i started the tablet 3 days ago, on tuesday and i haven't really had any side effects other then an ongoing headache and i wake up really early in the morning (i love my sleep :) )
i've done alot of research on the internet for the past 3-4 weeks and all i have been reading is negative things about this, although it isnt going to change my mind about taking the tablet because im doing this for myself because my weight is a big problem in my life, i have been trying to deal with it since i was younger and now i'm finally old enough to go my own way and try new things with out having to ask mum lol. i'm tired of feeling so unhappy with myself and i blame everything bad that happens to me on my weight. i'd really like to feel better about myself and was hoping some people who have had success in this area of weight loss could give me some advice, i am unsure what to eat and what excercises i should do, if any.
i can't go to my family members about this because they aren't very supportive of me doing this, and most of the time, they are eating and buying unhealthy foods, so i dont know how i will be able to eat healthy if there is nothing healthy around the house for me to eat or snack on. and besides my family members are all skinny minies.
my old sister is a size 6 and my younger sister is a size 8 and my mum is a size 10, which kind of makes me feel out of place since im around a size 12-14, it just makes me feel as though they are judging me and my weight because i'm not like them
another thing making me feel as though im out of place is that all my friends are all tiny girls, and i probably weigh more then most of the boys my age too. my friends dont care that i'm a big person, but it sucks to be that one big person in the group, and its me that does care. it has been effecting me for a long time, physically and mentally.
i'm not hoping to be a tiny person, but just looking and being happy and healthy with myself is my biggest wish, which i hope to achieve in the near future. i really want to show my family that i'm not just a 'fat kid' .
Even though i am 16 so i'm quite young compared to alot of the members here, i don't believe this is a magic cure for me, and it may end up not being the right thing for me to use and i realise that when i finish the perscription i am still going to have to work hard to stay healthy. i'm not relying on this tablet just to take all my weight off for me, i know that it comes from alot of hard work and changes of lifestyle but i am willing to do anything if it means in the end i'm going to be happy about the result. this isn't just a quick fix, its a long term goal i am hoping to reach.
if anyone has some positive advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share it with me.
i know im still very young, but id really like to do something about my weight while im still young.
Goodluck to everyone also, some of the stories i've read on this website about other peoples weight loss is amazing and inspiring, keep up the fantastic effort!!
its good to know there are people in the world like the members and especially the creators of this website, who can support people with the same kind of problems as each other through the hard times to keep each other motivated and yearning for succes. it's great to know people are helping others to be happy.

kind regards
xo
cloza

Postby Downsizeme » Sat May 15, 2010 9:33 am

Hi cloza

It's just my opinion but I think it's irresponsible of the doctor to give you a prescription
with "no questions asked.."

I remember a couple of years ago I had convinced myself that I could not lose weight any other way so off I went to the doctor to ask for Duromine. He flat out refused and I remember begging him, saying "I have tried every way I know how but I just can't lose the weight" and I believed it, but it wasn't true. He said to me, weight loss is not a cloak and dagger affair, eat less calories than you are burning and you will lose weight.

I told everyone who would listen what a moron he was, and that I had tried everything, but MY body was obviously different than everyone elses. :wink: All the while, I continued to get bigger. I wondered at my body being the only one who could gain weight by "eating healthy" and by eating healthy I mean have my meat, veggies and salad every day.

Then I joined Jenny Craig, and got an idea of portion size, and the balance of meat to veg to sald to fruit and realised that for years, when I was "eating healthy" I was adding healthy food to my day, but not really reducing the calories enough to lose weight, as I was still having that nice big piece of steak, or a whole chicken fillet. It floored me just how wrong I had actually got it, and I was a embarassed that i didn't know better. I also realised that I had to get off my butt and do some stuff, even if it was only going for a short walk every day, because I realised I was the original couch potato. And when I started walking, imagine my surprise at learning that that walk before dinner actually decreased my appetite. Amazing.

So, I'm no weight loss guru but to date I have lost 17 kgs since Feb 2nd and I have had a few blips on the way but I have still maintained a steady loss..so imagine that, my body is the same as everyone elses's!! :lol: I just had to face up to the fact that I wasn't losing weight because I was still eating too much and not excercising at all. No amount of pills or potions are ever going to give you a quick fix, you need to put in the hard yards to get the results, that's a fact. It took years of abuse to put the weight on, so it's not realistic to imagine that it will come off in a few short weeks. Nor is it a healthy way to lose weight.

So, I am not trying to be negative as I admire you for coming inhere and posting such a heartfelt post (especially for your age) and I can feel your pain in regards to your skinny minnie family (I too have model like sisters etc..lol) but those issues aren't going to get fixed with Duromine, in my opinion.

I wish you all the best of luck anyway, you can do it!

Serena

I started this journey on Feb 2 2010 and though I would like to be a size 5 by June, I am prepared to accept that it might take a bit longer :D

[/url]
Downsizeme

Postby cloza » Sat May 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Hey serena,
thanks so much for that adivce. it has and is going to be useful info for me. :)
i do think that it was pretty weird the doctor just gave me the script straight out, without asking about previous attempts at weight loss and any information like that. even though i have tried a couple different diets, i just thought that i could at least try a few other things out to see what is best for me kinda thing.
i have read about other peoples stories on this and i am very aware of the side effects, etc. and as i said this isn't going to be just a quick fix for me, i really do want to work hard at this, eat healthy and do a decent amount of excercise to achieve my ideal body weight. i'm using it to give me a good kick start, because i'm one of those people who say 'okay, i'll start my diet on monday', but when monday comes around, i do it for usually the first day or so then i get influenced out of it. which is 100% my own fault and so is my weight problem.
i think its really great that you have lost that weight with a good diet and a good amount of excersie, well done. :) it's great to hear.
thanks so much for the adivce, i really appreciate it.
cloza

Postby Downsizeme » Sat May 15, 2010 5:41 pm

No worries mate, everyone is different, so the advice is subjective at best! :D I am sure this will be the time you stick to whatever plan you decide on - because you have acknowledged how much carrying this extra weight is hurting you. Best of luck!! xxx

[/url]
Downsizeme

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk