It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:15 pm

Free Newsletter

Are Shakes really bad?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Are Shakes really bad?

Postby lalalaaa » Sat May 08, 2010 11:53 pm

Hi all, I am fairly new to this weightloss forum, so I apologise if I am covering too much old ground.

I recently started a weightloss program, given to me by my doctor and paid for by my healthfund (who also is one of its sponsors from what I can work out).

It is shake based, starting with two a day for six weeks, then one a day for six weeks and using a meal template system for the other meals, and then the final six weeks using the meal template system. I have just finished week 7 and have lost around 7.5kg.

I have noticed many people here recommend Calorie King, so i joined that site and have noticed in their forums a lot of negativity towards shakes ad am now wondering have I done the worse thing to my body.
Does anyone here have positive experience with Shakes and any ideas on what should I be expecting when I finish them?

Dazed and confused :? ,
E
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNncKpV/]
[/url]
lalalaaa

Re: Are Shakes really bad?

Postby Jisgone » Mon May 10, 2010 10:36 am

The problem with shakes is that you are'nt teaching yourself portion control or any of the skills you need to keep the weight off. You can't be on shakes forever and 95% of people who come off the shakes gain the weight back very quickly!
You could lost 7.5kgs in 7 weeks just by eating healthy food and exercising so alot of people find the shakes a waste of time.
Jisgone

Postby onthedecrease » Mon May 10, 2010 12:00 pm

Short answer- no I don't think shakes are bad at all. THe plan you were on sounds really sensible and thought out well. I did Celebrity Slim and lost around 30kg which I think is phenomenal. People are different and I think its ridiculous that some people feel that you should do it there way or the highway! What works for you just works for you, no iffs no buts...What you did was a kick start plan where Im betting you felt in control of your eating, portion control ect ect which is great for you. They do work, on principle I no longer agree with them and that's purely because I don't like the idea of cutting out carbs like they do, it's just not necessary. But i no i learned about portian controll and everything else whilst on them, I do think its not up for people that havent tried a product not to judge you or your choices- in the end I see the shakes as no different to Light and easy- when everythings provided you cant be learning as much as if you slog it out on your own right......

In the end what you did worked for you, from my understanding your program has finished and your now doing it all yourself, all the best- drop me a line if you want. :) OTD
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby Carley » Mon May 10, 2010 10:10 pm

lalalaaa wrote:Hi all, I am fairly new to this weightloss forum, so I apologise if I am covering too much old ground.

I recently started a weightloss program, given to me by my doctor and paid for by my healthfund (who also is one of its sponsors from what I can work out).

It is shake based, starting with two a day for six weeks, then one a day for six weeks and using a meal template system for the other meals, and then the final six weeks using the meal template system. I have just finished week 7 and have lost around 7.5kg.

I have noticed many people here recommend Calorie King, so i joined that site and have noticed in their forums a lot of negativity towards shakes ad am now wondering have I done the worse thing to my body.
Does anyone here have positive experience with Shakes and any ideas on what should I be expecting when I finish them?

Dazed and confused :? ,
E

I'm also going to say no, I think they can give a lot of motivation for people to lose weight. How many people count calories then gain all the weight back? I think in this case there is really no wrong or right way, only the way that works for you. If this works for you and you know it isn't long term, then do what is right for you. Do not worry what others think.

I personally get frustrated when people say people who use shake diets gain the weight back when they stop is a load of BS. That could be said for anyone on a diet. I have done ultra slim, I went from 106 kilos to 85 kilos then stopped and I'm still losing weight. I haven't gained weight since stopping them but lost.
Goal for 2016:
Current weight: 94 kilos
Starting weight: 102.5 kilos
Goal #1: 92 kilos
Carley

Postby kristal » Tue May 11, 2010 2:42 pm

I am another one that isn't opposed to shakes. I did Celebrity Slim for the first part of my diet and lost 5kgs and it actually did teach me about good carbs vs bad carbs etc, as I used to be a carb freak! So I did finish the diet actually having learnt something and I quite enjoyed the diet also! I still keep some shakes in the cupboard for when I can't be bothered making breakfast and am in a rush.

I certainly wouldn't stay on the shakes forever though, I think they are a great way to kick start your weight loss and get you in a rhythem of dieting and then I think it is good to start doing your own thing using healthy eating and exercise.

I have found that Calorie King are very closed minded. I appreciate the fact that healhty eating and exercise should be endorsed, but there is nothing wrong with trying something new within reason and as long as you do things the right way and know when to stop.

I think you really need to do what is best for you and your body and not listen to anybody else. Take on advice certainly, but don't take on the advice that you don't want.
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs
kristal

Postby curvygirl » Tue May 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Shakes are really handy for busy people and even though they dont teach you how to eat well they have there place in our lives. I lost 10 kilos in 7 weeks on weight watchers so every plan will give you results if you follow it. The shake based diets give you a good start but if you need to change your eating habits they arent really all that helpful.
Good luck with your journey.
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011
curvygirl

Postby lalalaaa » Tue May 11, 2010 7:48 pm

thanks for your replies.
I have to agree with you that the shakes have helped me feel in control of my eating for the first time in a long time. I only had to work out my dinner(1st stage).
I have kind of stopped the shakes this week and trying to follow the meal guidance plans, I was at week 7 out of a 18 week program. I'll look at my progress in another week and see how I went.
I find it amusing that I am having to teach myself how to prepare meals again.

When my doctor was telling me about this plan, he explained it as a kickstart to weightloss and diet management and not a magic pill to my current weight situation. he did offer another solution but I was reluctant when he offered taking medication.

So I thought it was a fairly balanced plan, which is why, I was left surprised over how negative the CK forum was towards them.

I am just not ready to stop my weightloss journey just yet, I just don't want to make it more difficult
[/url]
lalalaaa

Postby Czarina » Wed May 12, 2010 5:25 pm

I don't know why you are surprised about the negative reaction you got on the CK. The CK forum is a forum specific to CK, about following the CK principles and eating food - not drinking shakes! If you want to find some shake lovers I would suggest trying a Tony Ferguson forum.
Czarina

Postby onthedecrease » Wed May 12, 2010 7:59 pm

Czarina- I think you missing the point entirely! She is no longer using the shakes and went to CK for guidance on how to plan foods not to get an opinion on shakes, she was merely questioning why there was such a negative attitude, and apparently theres a negative attitude on here about them which I find dissapointing :( Yes you can lose weight just the same as by calorie control as the shakes but you can sure as heck put it all back on just as fast- its the person thats important not the method!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby Jisgone » Wed May 12, 2010 9:13 pm

I think you have missed the point onthedecrease....
Her post clearly said 'people on CK have a negative attitude, have I done the wrong thing'.
Czarina offered her opinion on why CK has a negative attitude towards shakes.
How is that missing the point?
Jisgone

Postby lalalaaa » Thu May 13, 2010 2:25 pm

Hello all,

Czarina one of the reasons I joined CK was after seeing how many posters (including yours) recommended CKs approach.
I know the shakes were never going to take me to where I want my weight to be, which is one of the reasons I joined some of these forums top get information.
I have info from my doctor as well as the diet plan stuff but wanted more info. The dieting thing is new to me and i do want to take control of my decisions.

The problem I found was that the info I was finding was contradictive(and negative) to what I was doing.
Even now looking at CK, they have me on less calories (1240 cal) than if I was having the one shake and two meals (1500 cal, two shakes/one meal was 1000 cal). This is why I am so confused. I am now following the CK plan and will see how I go.

BTW, I didnt even know that Tony Ferguson being a shake based diet until Czarina mention it here (which is the smiley for idiot?). The brand of shake I was taking doesnt appear to have a forum.
I live in an area which is fairly isolated from media (dont actually have a tv), and the usual health/diet programs are in the nearest towncentres about 45mins away.

I am sorry that I caused such a ruckus.
[/url]
lalalaaa

Postby Carley » Mon May 17, 2010 9:41 pm

lala I've just started ultra slim again and I'm tracking my food diary over in the food diary section if you are interested. I think I wanted to prove a point, you can have a balanced diet on a shake diet :)
Goal for 2016:
Current weight: 94 kilos
Starting weight: 102.5 kilos
Goal #1: 92 kilos
Carley

Postby FatFukShrinking » Tue May 18, 2010 1:03 am

Believe it or not, i am all for shakes. The shake plan i have used actually forced me to eat lots of vegetables, drink lots of water, get a routine, be aware of eating fruits in moderation, eat protein, be aware of eating too much of certain vegetables, eat 5-6 times a day.

No one can tell you what will work for you. People will promote whatever diet plan that has worked for them. I tried weight watchers and didn't have any success on it. Where as i lost around 30 kilos on a shake diet. Other people haven't been able to get through the first couple of days of a shake diet, yet they loved weight watchers. No matter what diet you do, you will always put the weight back on if you don't make permanent healthy changes.

We are all different. Different lifestyles, different ages, different states of mind.

One thing i can say is you really have to be ready to embrace it. Losing weight is confronting, it forces you to deal with something that you might have been putting off. It can get emotional! There have been times in my life where i tried to lose weight but simply wasn't at that place in my head where i could deal with it.

Take care of your mind and your body.

SW: 121.3kg - 20/04/2010
First Goal: 109 kilos (Losing 10% of my body weight)
Second Goal: 99 kilos (Getting out of triple digits)
Third goal: 85 kilos (Getting back to a weight where i felt more like ME)
Ultimate long term goal: 60 kilos (Losing half of my start weight)
FatFukShrinking

Return to Weight loss Talk