It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:37 am

Free Newsletter

COFFEE

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

COFFEE

Postby Sassyt » Wed May 26, 2010 5:35 pm

I just have a bad bad craving late at night, I am so good during the day eating wise at work come home time I sometimes mess up real real bad. Anyway I have recently realised that if I have half a cup of strong coffee with a little bit of artificial sweetner, which by the way contains 16kj(or so it says on the packet) and a dash of 2% low fat milk my cravings almost dissapear now I just wonder if coffee can be bad for weight loss??? I dont know much about nutrition I always try to make healthy choices but I am so not clued up with staff like coffee for instance. Your comments would be much much appreciated.

If coffee is not bad than I might just have found the solution to all my problems lol :lol:

Thank you guys :)
Happy weight - 78kg
Ultimate goal weight- 70kg
Sassyt

Re: COFFEE

Postby bigboomba » Wed May 26, 2010 5:41 pm

SW:109.7kg
CW:104.9kg
1st mini goal: Double digits by September 4th!

UGW:55kg
WLTD:4.8kg

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wt50NLQ/
bigboomba

Postby Greenie » Wed May 26, 2010 7:19 pm

If I didn't have coffee I am sure I would eat more. I completely hear you about the eating at night I am exactly the same...can be really good all day but conpletely lose it at night :evil:
Your coffee idea actually sounds really good! I am going to try it - thanks for the suggestion :D

First Mini Goal: 75kg
Greenie

Postby nothing2lose » Sat May 29, 2010 11:10 am

Hi Sassyt

I LOVE coffee. I only have one a day but it is a good 'un! (REAL, NOT BLUUCHHHKKK INSTANT) It is my treat!

I have heard that caffeine actually helps speed your metabolism. But everything in moderation (as the old saying goes). And it probably wouldnt be a good idea to start drinking vienna coffees (espresso with whipped cream piled on top :lol: )

I sometimes have the Jarrah Chocolatte range. They are approx 60 cals each and the White Choc one is gorgeous.

N2L
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011
nothing2lose

Postby HappyGirl83 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:40 am

A coffee is awesome to have before a work out! Caffine will help give you an energy kick, Jillian Michaels (Bigger Loser trainer) recommends it!

Sassy, are you have the coffee at night? I just worry it might keep you up if you are, I know caffine too close to bedtime keeps me awake.
My journey so far...

Sick and tired of wasting my 20's being fat!!
HappyGirl83

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon May 31, 2010 11:58 am

There are two schools of thought about coffee. One is that it's good for weight loss. The caffeine speeds up metabolism and it acts as an appetite suppressant. The other opinion is that it increases stress hormones which cause the body to hold onto weight and can cause hypoglycaemia, which increases appetite. Studies support both of these theories, finding that coffee is good for weight loss in the short term, but long term increased coffee consumption can make you gain weight.

Here are some links to read up more on coffee and weight loss.
iVillage: Does a coffee habit slow weight loss?
The New York Times: Sorting out coffee's contradictions
MedicineNet: Does caffeine help with weight loss?
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Sassyt » Mon May 31, 2010 5:24 pm

Hey guys

I am guessing everything in moderation should be fine. I will not/must not rely on coffee everytime cravings attack. Ishould also try some techniques like drinking water ect... I really really struggle with late night cravings. HG I hardly ever have trouble sleeping not even coffee can shake me lol :P

T
Happy weight - 78kg
Sassyt

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:36 am

Could you have some green tea instead? One of the reports I linked to said that green tea was shown to be more effective in long term weight loss and maintenace.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Sassyt » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Aren't you supposed to have green tea without sugar to see the weight loss results? I know I cant stand tea/coffee without any sweetner thats my problem... Can't I have rooiboss as well? That I can have with a lil bit of milk only no sweetner! :)
Happy weight - 78kg
Sassyt

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:57 pm

Could you try it with a zero calorie sweetener? I use stevia. It's a natural sweetener you can get at health food shops. A bit of an acquired taste but now I'd never go back to sugar or artificial sweeteners.

You can get green tea made of the powdered leaves, called matcha. You get more of the weight-loss chemical in them that way. I drink them with milk (soy or rice milk in my case) and sweetener, that way they seem more like traditional coffee or tea.

I've heard good things about rooiboss, but I've never tried it.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Sassyt » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:39 pm

OH thanks this topic is raising lots and lots of questions in my mind re sweetners, herbal tea and what not... Oh well that's for another day thanks so much guys this helped me heaps!!! :D
Happy weight - 78kg
Sassyt

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:42 pm

One thing I forgot to mention: matcha has half the caffeine of a cup of coffee. Which is good if you're replacing your morning cup of coffee with something with less caffeine, not so good if you're drinking one before going to bed or trying to cut down on your caffeine.

Green tea has a chemical in it that counteracts the bad effects of caffeine. So you end up alert, but not edgy. Many people recommend it as a morning drink because of this.

Most tea contains caffeine (rooibos excepted) but you can decaffeinate it yourself quite easily. Just steep the teabag in boiling water for about 30 seconds and discard the water, then use the same teabag to make your cup of tea. Caffeine is water-soluble so it's the first thing to dissolve in hot water. You can't do this with matcha, obviously, because it's powdered and if you discarded the first brew you'd be throwing out all the tea too!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby nothing2lose » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:19 pm

hahaha....wouldnt suit me! I use coffee as a caffeine delivery system :lol:
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011
nothing2lose

Postby zalma » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:54 am

I love coffee! :D I don't think it can negatively affect your weight unless you put too much sweetener and creamer in it. ;)
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed
zalma

Postby alizezz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:02 pm

i like coffee very much!
alizezz

Return to Weight loss Talk