It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:33 am

Free Newsletter

Why do you give up?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Why do you give up?

Postby FatFukShrinking » Mon May 31, 2010 3:46 pm

What makes you give up on weight loss? On every weight loss forum i have ever been to, i would guesstimate that about 80% of people disappear and give up over time. Why do so many people give up? It's like that in reality too, most of the people i have known who say they are going to lose weight... never follow it through or keep up with it.

I would say that it's only a low percentage of people who actually achieve and maintain their weight loss goals. I am one of those people who never get to goal, i keep dropping weight and regaining. It must have something to do with our emotional and mental state, because most people can work out how to eat and exercise properly.

Obesity effects people of all classes, rich, poor, smart, uneducated. Why? Are we all addicted to bad foods? Do the chemicals in foods screw up our brains and keep us craving it?

Why is it so hard to do something which is relatively simple. Eat right, and move.

What is the difference between people who don't struggle with weight, and people who do? Do our brains have different thought patterns? What about rich and famous people who have all the help in the world and still can't lose the weight?

I'm in a pondering mood lol. I'm not talking about people who have 5 kilos to lose. I'm talking about obese people here. Should we be medically treated as addicts? If i were to abuse drugs like i abuse food, i'm sure i would be called an addict and sent to rehab...

Do obese people need some type of rehab program too?

Anorexics have clinics and hospital stays. Aren't we on the other end of the scale but equally as dangerous? Should there be obesity clinics where you can go and stay for a couple of weeks/ months until you have a hold of your addiction?

If these places already exist, i haven't heard about them lol.

SW: 121.3kg - 20/04/2010
First Goal: 109 kilos (Losing 10% of my body weight)
Second Goal: 99 kilos (Getting out of triple digits)
Third goal: 85 kilos (Getting back to a weight where i felt more like ME)
Ultimate long term goal: 60 kilos (Losing half of my start weight)
FatFukShrinking

Re: Why do you give up?

Postby FatFukShrinking » Mon May 31, 2010 3:59 pm

I think that maybe as a society we aren't taking obesity as seriously as we should be? It's looked at as a vanity thing by most people. Like for EG: People are too afraid to tell me i am obese, so instead they tell me i'm not that big, or that size doesn't matter, or that plenty of men love women with curves. Is that really healthy for me? Isn't that like saying "your cancer isn't that bad" ?

Should we instead be saying to our loved ones that ... yes you are obese and it isn't healthy, but you can change it, and i will help you?

I'm thinking out loud here. My family really doesn't tell me i am obese, maybe it is that acceptance that lets me tell myself it is ok to stay obese? Maybe it would be better if people stopped trying to save each others feelings?

Heaps of people seem to promote being big and sexy. Maybe that is unhealthy too?

Hmmmmm

Sorry for my rant lol

FatFukShrinking

Postby sinker » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:57 am

I get what you're saying - about how people never say to you "Hey, you look like you've put on some weight there..." but if they even think you might have lost a kilo they'll be full of congratulations for you! I think if just one person had told me that I look like I've put on weight I would have started trying to do something sooner. Sure it is hurtful at first but if it helps you realise that people do care if you are healthy then surely it's not a bad thing!

I tend to leave my weight loss until I'm obese and then I get into the "overweight" range and think "wow! I'm really getting there" and then kind of drift off track...

That's why I've set this forum as my internet homepage so I have to look here at least once a day and posts like yours really make me want to succeed!!
sinker

Postby FatFukShrinking » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:06 am

Hey sinker! Welcome to the forums

I like having some where in the world to talk about all things weight related. Even if i make no sense sometimes lol. You can't always find people in your day to day life to talk about this stuff to, so that's why i like these forums. They are a great way to help keep you on track. Good idea setting it to your homepage! You can't avoid it then lol.

I look around at all the success stories and tell myself that i want to be one of those one day. :D

FatFukShrinking

Postby Czarina » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:00 pm

I think the main reason that I have given up in the past, was because I was uneducated about losing weight and thought I had to starve myself. I thought it would be too hard.

Now that I have the knowledge, I've kept it up for almost 2 1/2 years. Sure, there have been bad days, but I've been able to get back on track a lot more easily knowing I don't have to starve and deprive myself, or exercise for hours a day to lose weight.
Czarina

Postby FatFukShrinking » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:54 pm

Hey Czerina!

You are my weight loss idol lol. :D :D :D :D
You must feel soooo good now! It would be fun catching up with people who haven't seen you in a couple of years! I bet their jaws drop!

FatFukShrinking

Postby Czarina » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:09 pm

FatFukShrinking wrote:Hey Czerina!

You are my weight loss idol lol. :D :D :D :D
You must feel soooo good now! It would be fun catching up with people who haven't seen you in a couple of years! I bet their jaws drop!

:oops: :wink:

When my Fiancee's uncle from interstate, whom I'd met when I was close to my biggest, saw me at a family dinner a month or two ago, he introduced himself to me. LOL. His wife told him off, and told him how he should know who I was and that he'd already met me! :lol:

I've been to a few family events in recent months and have recieved a few comments. My Nana asked me if I was sick. :roll:
Czarina

Postby loveyourself » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:43 pm

i think its a range of reasons:
not knowing how much to eat
eating too little
wanting results too quickly
lack of modivation
lack of control (sooo been there!)
changing to a healthy diet is like breaking a habit, and habits are hard to break
buying low fat and not realising it usually means high sugar
obsession
not believing in yourself
setting yourself impossible goals
eating too much of the same thing because its healthy = boredom of the same foods
not getting the intense high from high fat & sugar foods
constantly comparing yourself with thin celebrities/models

i know this because i used to do this to myself and it only leads to failure.

i think the right way to go would be:
setting realistic goals
exercising in the morning (to get it over and done with so you can focus on your day instead) not always the case with everyone though
constantly finding healthy recipies with lots of veg, wholegrains and lean meats (or tofu for vegos)
making sure you get the nutrients you need everyday
not focusing/obessing over weightloss. find something else to do
rewarding your weight loss with non food rewards
enjoy your exercise
enjoy your food
enjoy your life!

sorry that took so long but thats what i feel and what i have observed from my life and others
Please Visit My Blog!!! http://meaningofeverythingesle.blogspot.com/

current weight: 58.5kg
goal weight: 55kg
loveyourself

Postby Shay » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:15 am

Personally, the one thing that makes me frustrated is putting in effort and not seeing results. I've never given up, mostly because past experiences have made me learn that when i do i gain even more weight!
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Postby Sara89 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:15 pm

I give up because I'm lazy and don't see results quickly also under education about what I should be eatting. Also I'm just to plain lazy to exercise. Iv been at it for 4 weeks now and have seen any results but I'm for once still trying it's now or never .
SW 110.9kgs
CW- 104.9Kg
First mini goal - 100kg
GW 70kgs
Goal size 12
If you dont know where your heading, you might just end up someplace else

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wEMaK6R/]
[/url]
Sara89

Postby lalalaaa » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:15 pm

When I dont see results and I'm trying to make changes, I guess that makes me a wimp for not sticking with it. Without the results its much harder to keep the motivation.
I'm trying to set achievable goals to stay on track.
A bit of positive feedback does wonders regardless of the endeavour.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNncKpV/]
[/url]
lalalaaa

Postby Czarina » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:41 am

Perseverence is the key! It can be hard to stay motivated when you aren't seeing results as soon as you would like, but once you get your head around the fact that it takes time, it gets easier. Think about where you'll be in a year, not a week...you will get there eventually! Trust me! :D
Czarina

Postby fi_112 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:09 pm

From what I have learnt at uni (doing psychology), it is about the weigh up between instant gratification and long term achievement. It's much easier to see the piece of cake and think 'ooh, that will make me feel good NOW' and cave into it, which is why it helps to have very clear goals and an image of how you want to be. I agree with the results thing too - usually you don't see the results you want immediately (like they do in biggest loser grrr) so you think 'what's the point'?
Also - for me - I think I used to lie to myself about the calorie content of food etc. Once I started researching nutrition and exercise stuff and got a pretty good knowledge base happening, it started working. Knowing that what you're doing it good for your INSIDE as well is pretty motivating.
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby manda-261 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:17 pm

I agree on your comment that people are quick to jump up and say Wow you look great, your sooo skinny now and instead of turning around and saying oh thanks you feeling saying so you obviously thought I was fat before how come you didnt say anything then?? Even your family will know how large you are and never try and help just keep telling you but your beautiful! If more people told me you need to do something about that rather than just keep feeding my positive thoughts I would do more about it...just so frustrating...and then you have the other end when you get to some place where you think you look happy and you have people behind your backs saying wow she looks sick i wonder if shes eating and stuff like that...arghh...well that was my rant...
manda-261

Postby fatchick25 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:22 pm

I give up because
Its so hard, you have to eat to live, you just cant stop eating
fatchick25

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk