It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:09 am

Free Newsletter

Do you count calories?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Do you count calories?

Postby Mary281 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:24 pm

In fact, I do not count calories, what I count is carbs which I eat a day. And for me it did work. It is not very easy, because you have to spend a time on counting! :) You have to research what include each product that you eat!

I don't say that you should not count calories! It depends on diet which you chose to take. As mine was/ still is a low carb diet, so I do have to count carbs and not calories, in fact, I never have counted calories, but still get quite good weight loss results!
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Signature removed. Please refer to forum rules.

Postby gayoc » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:14 am

Yes I am counting calories to make my calorie intake safer. Measuring calories could prevent over intake of calories in my body. And, this could prevent some unnecessary thing to happen in my health.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising links are not allowed in signatures.

Postby Ophir » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Once upon a time i did, about 5 years ago! I became very obsessed with every little bit so i wouldnt do it again. Thankfully censored is working without the worry of calorie counting.

Postby saram89 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:02 pm

I dont count Calories but I do count points, im on weight watchers Iv found it eaiser to count points the calories
SW - 108.2kg
CW -102.8kg
Mini Goal be in double digits by the first weekend of november when we go away
GW - 68kg

Postby Joelme » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:59 pm

Ophir wrote:Once upon a time i did, about 5 years ago! I became very obsessed with every little bit so i wouldnt do it again. Thankfully censored is working without the worry of calorie counting.

I'm exactly the same, when I seriously count calories I get very obsessed with it and it's easy for me to fall into the trap of "I'll just have a mars bar and burn the calories off later" and then I find more excuses not to burn them off.

I lost 18kgs about 2 years ago and I found the best solution was to just simply eat healthy foods. Really, we know what is bad and what is good. Some high calorie foods are actually healthy and shouldn't be stressed over.

I struggle with eating low calorie treats because it gives me the taste that my body desires and I end up eating more than I should. When I originally lost the weight it was because I completely cut off all nasties and that's how I'm trying to approach things again.

It's really a personal choice, as others have mentioned.

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:42 pm

I enjoy the feeling of success when I add up the kilojoules for the day and find it's within the range I set as a target (5000-7000). And if it is a bit too low, such as tonight, I may choose to (or choose NOT to) have a nice free beer (600Kj) taken home from the fridge at work (a treat from my boss to us hard-working computer programmers). :-)

Postby Princess Juki » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:49 pm

I do because I know why when I don't lose weight in a week....

I didn't realize how much extra food I was eating before I accurately started adding up what I was eating. I was eating twice the amount of food I would need at lunch time and at dinner time I was eating 2-3 times the amount of meat that I actually need to eat for my activity levels. I was also eating way too much fat in my diet.

To fit in to my Wedding Dress:
Bust: Start (113cm) Current (108cm) Goal (90cm)
Waist: Start (93.5cm) Current (87cm) Goal (70cm)
Hips: Start (119.5cm) Current (111cm) Goal (99cm)
Princess Juki

Postby ohsoDanniella » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:54 pm

How many calories should I consume on a diet?
I've been trying to stay under 1,200 but finding it very difficult. is this enough?

By the end of today I would have gone well over my 1,200 and dont feel as though I have eaten badly.
Breakfast = bowl of muesli 284 calories
Lunch = cheese and vegemite roll 342 calories
drinks: 2 small skim milk latte's 201 calories
dinner = carnation light and creamy pasta with pumpkin and spinach 486 calories
dessert = skinny cow ice cream 108 calories (I usually dont have dessert however I work untill the early hours of the morning and I find if I allow myself a treat I dont binge eat when I get home)

total = 1421

^ is way over my daily limit!

*anyone who calorie counts out there I would love some advice! my goal is around 10kg by Jan 1st
starting weight: 72kg
First Goal: 63kg
second goal: 60kg
finishing goal: 58kg

Postby brendan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:23 pm

I don't count calories as such, but I have a fair idea of calorific value of various foods. Let's face it most of us know the healthy foods that we should be consuming, and have a rough idea of the quantities. If you are losing weight then it is working.

I don't know scientifically whether it is true, but the idea that we should consume the same nett calories as we would to maintain the weight we hope to achieve holds some appeal to me, but I can't be bothered weighing quantities and counting calories.

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic

Postby laughing_sheep » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:01 pm

Well a few years ago I became extremely obsessed with calorie counting and I lost 40 kilos. When I stopped calorie counting (after four years!) I couldn't stop eating. I was afraid to eat foods I didn't know the PRECISE calorie content of and I ended up gaining 49 kilos. I vowed to never again count calories.

However although I have lost weight without counting calories more recently I have decided to do it again. If I don't know the exact calories of something I just make a rough estimate. It seems to be working so far but the majority of my diet is healthy these days. I am still including some things I really love like chocolate in moderation so I'm finding it very helpful this time around.

Starting weight: 92
Current weight: 70
Goal weight: 66

Postby yoavfux » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:02 am

i used to count calories in the past, but after a while i learned which foods are fat and which are not and im trying to have a balanced diet.
if you dont know how to balance your diet counting calories nught be your solution but i think that learning which foods are fat and knowing what you are eating is more importent. if you dont know you should look for a book on foods and calories that can teach you that (i dont know of something specific but im sure that if you'll go to a book store you will find plenty of books with lots of information.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed.

Postby Tyger » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:09 pm

I count calories. Not all calories are equal, but a basic acceptance of calories in vs calories out is crucial! I used to ignore this scientific basis of weight, and just try to convince myself that eating certain things certain ways would make me lose weight. But hey, our bodies are a finely tuned organism, and it is all about how much energy is going in vs how much is being used up.

I've noticed a lot of you are counting calories but frustrated about CK not taking into account exercise. Can I recommend MyPlate (dot com). It is fantastic. I swear by this site. It takes into account your exercise each day, with a specific section to plug in your activities, plus it's an easy to use site and looks great too. You can see breakdowns of your nutrient intake aswell as a lot of other great functions. And if you ever can't find a food (which hasn't happened to me so far), you can use CK as a reference, then manually type in the calories into MyPlate.

OhsoDaniella, 1,200 calories is quite low if you are also doing exercise during the week. My goal is 1,436 calories daily, and MyPlate deducts my exercise so it's really easy to stay within this range on the days I do activities (slightly harder on the days I don't!).

Good luck everybody :)

Return to Weight loss Talk