It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:05 am

Free Newsletter

WeightWatchers question

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

WeightWatchers question

Postby Garfield » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:16 pm

Hey, this is a question about weight watchers... I think there are a few people on here doing that...
I've been seeing weight watchers products in woolies when I'm shopping, and I recently started getting their microwave dinner things. I'm always confused by the points count on the packet. The one I had tonight was 4.5 points. Tasted nice, I just wished there was more of it lol.
What do the points stand for? Is it just a way of counting kilojoules? Also how many points should you have per day?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby tanya » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:24 pm

hi. i dont know much about the points but i will see what my memory can tell you :D
the amount of points you get depends on how much you weigh. i cant remember how to work it out tho.
and the points equal like calories i think.
my sis lent me her points book which i still have and i think i was on about 26 points. then you just calculate what you have eaten.
im sure someone will be able to help you alot better than i have.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgVAbhK/]
[/url]

'Changing to a healthier lifestyle'
Mini goal: To get to 85kg!
tanya

Postby chubbybubby » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:37 pm

hey there :lol:
I am doing weight watchers, and had done Points for years, (although I am now doing their new No Count plan, hard to explain lol) anyway, you do a little questionare to work out how many points in a day you get, according to your height, weight, how much you need to use, activity levels, gender, etc. (if you want to know the exact info, I can post it for you) I am 5 "11, was 125 kgs, female.... I was on 25 points per day. Basically, every food has a "points value" you can buy guides with food listings in them to help out, or you can work out the points value of things by using the labels. (Some examples- I slice bread = 1 point, 1 piece cheese = 1 point, 1 apple = 1 point, 1 sausage = 4 points, 1 cheeseburger = 5 points.) Every food has a point value. On WW, you can eat any food you like, (although obviously healthy is better) as long as it equals up to your daily points total. So yeah, basically points = calories/kilojoules, but I always found it much simpler to stick to 25 points, and got confused when counting 1500 cals. Its easy really. Let me know if u wnat any more info :lol: xxx
chubbybubby

Postby jodie259 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:23 pm

Hi Garfield !

Because of your current weight, you would be on 21 points (to lose weight).
Virtually all vegetables are point free. Fruit is normally 1/2 or 1 point.

Chubbybubby has explained it quite well... and like her, I am doing the "no count" programme so I don't have to track all the things I eat. With that plan you are given a list of foods and you can have your three meals a day using those foods; and 21 points a week for extras/treats. Both plans are really easy to do, and they are a lifestyle eating plan - not a short term diet.

Weight watchers is the most successful weight loss programme in the world.

There is free registration at the moment. And if you were to join now, you can get a free cookbook too. There is no obligation or contracts. If you wanted to, you could join up and get the 1st weeks book (with loads of information in it) and you could just see if you like the idea of it. It's only $17.95 a week... no more to pay.

I lost 2.2kg in my first week. A friend of mine lost 2.7kg in her first week.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Mum of 2
Shaun born 27/05/06 & Shelli born 26/11/07
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHe6RPO/]
[/url]
jodie259

Postby Garfield » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:07 pm

Thanks for the info. It doesn't sound exactly right for me, but that info has given me some ideas...
If my dinner tonight was only 4.5 points, my lunch (sandwich) was probably about 5, my breakfast was probably around 5 as well... the walnuts I munched on would have been around 2 points (guessing wildly lol) and a glass of skim milk maybe 1 or 2 points...
That would put me at 18 or so points for the day... so I am slightly under 21, but other days I'd eat slightly more...
I was a bit worried whether I was eating too much or too little, but that gives me a good indication that I should be ok :D
Congratulations on the big loss Jodie.
Happy slimming everyone :D
[/url]
Garfield

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:28 am

jodie259 wrote:Weight watchers is the most successful weight loss programme in the world.

i dont agree but each to their own :) whatever works for one doesnt always work for another :)
kate_turner2000

Postby LadyBug » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:38 am

jodie259 wrote:Weight watchers is the most successful weight loss programme in the world.

I totally agree.... But you have to be ready to do it in order for it to work!!!
xoxo ~Ali

[/url]
LadyBug

Postby jodie259 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:47 am

This isn't my opinion... it was statistics.
I went to a big business seminar once about changing peoples attitudes. He talked about weight loss and had all these figures. WW was the most successful weight loss company - yet of all the participants - a small % get to goal weight - and a smaller % stay there.

And if you see the latest WW advert on tv... WW is THREE times more successful than people who "do it alone". They are not allowed to make those claims on TV unless there is research or proof.

Also WW started over 40 years ago and gets bigger every year. It couldn't get bigger if it wasn't successful.

I didn't say that WW works for everyone... I said it was the most successful world-wide programme. I am sure I can find research results if you don't believe me.

In you opinion - what do you think is the most successful WORLD WIDE programme?? Not short term weight loss - but long term where people have retained their weight loss??
Mum of 2
[/url]
jodie259

Postby jodie259 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:52 am

LadyBug wrote:
I totally agree.... But you have to be ready to do it in order for it to work!!!

thats right.
WW gives you the information and tools.
But in the end it's up to the individual.
There are no shakes. no tablets, no surgery...
It's real food and real exercise. WW gives you the encouragement and support to achieve your goals.
Mum of 2
[/url]
jodie259

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:18 am

im not going to get into an arguement about it. im just saying each to their own. Im not going to give my opinion on which program is the most successful. im not here to knock other programs, im here to support and get inspiration from other people.
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:02 pm

I think I get it... you mean that the comany is successful from a financial perspective, and that they have achieved huge global expansion, not so much that the participants themselves have been successful.
:?
SarahC

Postby KimE » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:12 pm

Good analysis Sarah. I think the whole weight loss industry in general is like that. It's a big way to make cash off people when the goal is either difficult to attain or maintain. I'm not saying that's why many programs are started as I feel they are truly trying to help people be healthier but they still get the cash no matter what happens to you.

The point with any of this no matter how you do it is your own mental attitude towards your own plan and how well you can stick with it, make it part of your life.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:35 pm

Alrighty then......I agree with you Kate, each to their own. I tried WW three times and each time left sad and disappointed. The whole point of this forum is not to judge other people on the program they are on, but to support each other. I gave up on the "weight loss industry" a year ago and have since realised that for ME healthy eating and exercise is the only way to go. I have never been happier not to be on a diet!! Sarah I think you are 100% correct on that analysis.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby jodie259 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:07 pm

I'm not tring to start a debate or arguement or bag anyones choice of weight loss. I feel like I am being judged because I do Weight Watchers. I'm just stating some facts that I am aware off.

most people agree that eating healthy food and exercise is the key to LONG TERM weight loss. This is what WW teaches people. There are no foods or supplements that you have to buy. You are paying for the weigh in, information and the support

Sure WW is very successfiul fionancially. If their programme didn't work for most people, it wouldn't survive. And I'm sure that Jenny Craig and Tony Ferguson are pretty wealthy individuals... at the expense of hundreds, thousand or millions of people trying to lose weight too. I made the comments about statistics to show that even though WW is the most successful (and popular) system - it is still up to the individual to acheive their goals. If the person is not committed to their health, then they will never lose the weight... regardless of what system they are on.

Best weight loss program: Weight Watchers is the top choice in many reviews, and it has been subjected to the most clinical studies. This program encourages a sensible diet consisting of healthy, ordinary foods, exercise and a positive attitude. Weight Watchers is also flexible, which makes it easier for most people to follow, and its cost is reasonable for a commercial program

source: http://www.consumersearch.com/www/healt ... index.html
Independant research - also advise best online weightloss programme and best prepackaged food programme and best support group.

I only had to do a google search on Succesfull weightloss programmes to find this information.

As I've said before: I think that any weight reduction (to achieve a healthy weight) is great... and people should do whatever suits them. They should take into account the cost, the support, and the long term effects/benefits. WW does not work for everyone - as I said before. Some people need different things.

If anyone has taken offense to my comments then I am sorry. I am not bagging anyone - and I accept if someone "doesn't agree" with me. I wouldn't expect everyone to agree! Like all of you, I am on this forum to get support and encouragement.
Mum of 2
[/url]
jodie259

Postby chubbybubby » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:06 pm

I am a fellow Weight watcher, Jodie, no one is judging you. They are just giving their opinions,as are you, which is the point and the beauty of a forum. Just chill :lol: xx
chubbybubby

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk