It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:49 pm

Free Newsletter

to the plateau people (present or formerly)

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

to the plateau people (present or formerly)

Postby sarafina777 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:28 am

Hi guys,

A few days ago, I was complaining about my static weight, and now it's gone up, which is even worse! Especially considering I've been exercising and eating all the right things. I know I should ignore the scales, and Louise (thanks again :D ) gave me some great advice: that I should focus on being healthy rather than losing weight. (Thanks for everyone else who lent me their support also :D )

But how do I keep motivated to be healthy when there is nothing to gauge my progress? At least with weight loss goals, you can have some markers to tell how far you've come. Do you guys have any ideas?

Please, help me keep my motivation up. There are heaps of other negative things affecting me right now, and I just want this one thing to be going right. :cry:

Also, any of you from plateau land, how long have you been (or were you) stuck on the plateau? Did you do anything in particular to get you off of it, or did it just happen to kick start again one day? Please help me get off the plateau, or lend me some tricks to gauge my progress into healthiness (rather than purely weight loss).

Thanks so much, looking forward to replies... :(

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:52 am

hi sarafina

i have not reached the plateau stage yet but im waiting for it! it will be any day now! there is some info on plateaus in the forum but im not sure where. i think kim or dolly knows where it is because they have posted the link to it before for someone else in the same boat as you.

all i can suggest is to put those scales away! and dont get them out until your weigh in day. weight can take a couple of days to settle i believe, and it can fluctuate or not drop off for many reasons. it could be from fluid and ttotm. keep your chin up, its going to happen if you continue to do all the right things, there might be something that you need to change in regards to your food or your diet?

Postby slimmindown » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:05 am

It may be that your weight has increased with increased muscle form your exercising. Maybe measuring yourself and going by how your clothes feel would be a better indicator for you.

I've had plataeus of 3 weeks. it is a little disheartening, but when that weight finally shifts, you forget about the past few weeks and its well and truley worth the percerverence(sp) and the effort for sure. :D

keep going.................................... 8)
[no excuses, I can do it!

Postby Mandie » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:48 am

yep, I'd recommend changing it up - do you have an exercise "routine"? time to get out of the rut and back into the groove, girl! Try something new and challenging, and see how that changes your body.

Also, measurements are a great idea, probably best to only do them once a month though..

In terms of a daily motivator - why not keep a food/exercise diary? You can look at that each day and work on goals for the most healthy days in a row, and stuff like that...

Good luck, you'll get through it!

Postby louise » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:25 pm

there are definatly things you can gauge about your health, if its not always numbers, for me, when i eat really well i bound out of bed in the morning, i feel energetic throughout the whole day, when i eat something i would prefer i didn't i feel lethagic. When you exercise regularly you'll notice yourself getting fitter, and some definition. I had started to have an issue with a plateau and didn't step on the scales for a month, I just ate really well lots of fruit and veg and went to the gym regularly, now I am doing really well and my weight is dropping again and more exciting for me perhaps is that my body fat has dropped considerably.
If you are eating well and exercising you'll feel energetic and happy and you'll want to eat better and exercise more. Right now, I find my cravings are actually good for me, I'll want a mango or a fresh salad and then I'll eat it and feel like going for a run because I'm full of energy!
Good Luck, don't give up and you'll get there! :D

Postby Ally » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:40 pm

I am unable to offer any suitable advice on plateaus sarafina, however I just wanted to lend you my support and say don't give up mate, keep at it and you will see results!!! We are all here for you and you will get through it matey!!

Postby Puffer » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:35 pm

Well Sarafina I'm happy to report there is an end to plateaus! Mine ended today! woooo!

I think perserverence is the key. You cannot give up, no matter how long the plateu takes.

Here is how it all panned out for me:

15/9-22/9 I knew at the end of this week it was all because of me. I decided I needed to get serious!
Average daily Energy from food: 6898
Average daily net energy (energy from food minus energy from exercising): 6467

22/9-28/9 Getting serious now, I did alot more exercise and ate alot better
Average daily Energy from food: 6005
Average daily net energy: 5253

28/9-5/10 Really bloody annoyed at yet again no results. Decided to buckle in further, and reduce kilojoule limit (more of a guideline really :lol: ) to 4500kj. This plan fell to pieces when I went out for dinner two nights in a row (both with my dad and a friend who I hardly ever see, so I couldnt say no) and I also had a day where I pigged out and ate over 7000kj without even leaving the house :evil: The other 4 days of the week though I stuck to it and it balanced out ok.
Average daily Energy from food: 6145
Average daily net energy: 5576

That was last week and today (weigh in day) I have finally dropped below the dreaded 72kg! I'm not sure if it was just perserverence which did it, or maybe the 3 days of high kj intake and 4 days of very low kj woke my metabolism up. Someone on this forum (Dolly I think?) mentioned that body builders often diet in 'zig-zag' ie a few days dieting and then one day of high kj intake to stop loosing muscle as well as fat while dieting, so maybe thats what happened for me?

Hang in there Sarafina, given time there is no way your body can't respond to a kilojoule deficit (eating less energy than your body uses). In the meantime, remember that if you give up you definitely won't loose any weight, but if you keep going you definitely will - no matter how long it takes. Also look very seriously at what your eating and exercise regime is, and consider if it needs changing somehow.

Postby Ally » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:37 am

That is great news Christina!! I am glad you made it off your plateau, I know how much it frustrated you!! Well done mate, keep up the great work and you will keep losing.

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:00 am

Hi christina

great work. im glad you got below the dreaded 72. have u changed ur ticker? keep going with your weightloss and you will do great!!! not long til you reach your goal! hugs

Postby SarahC » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:03 am

Well done Christina... you must be thrilled!!

Sometimes it can take a while to see results. I know for me, it takes about a month of watching my food and sweating it out in the gym before anything starts to happen at all. It is a very frustrating time, but you have to work through it :(

Making a change in your diet (ie, eating different foods, not less food!) or excercise (different excercises, or increased duration) can give your body a little wake up call too :wink:

Hope you are getting some great tips from this thread sarafina. I'm sure things will start happening for you soon!

Postby KimE » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:29 am

Nice going Christina you must be very happy with that.

Sarafina I haven't been able to track down the plateau info but will keep looking. Although there has been some good advice here already. From what I remember you need to change something either in diet or exercise although I feel exercise is the better one to start with. Best of luck.
Last edited by KimE on Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby Garfield » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:09 pm

Hi everyone.
Well done Christina! I'm very happy for you :D
I found something posted about plateaus earlier and there is some really useful information in there:

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 am

I've been stuck on or around 75kg for a couple of months now. I think it's psychological for me, but I'm still working on it!! For me the health benefits of the exercise and better diet make it worthwhile even when the weight is not dropping!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Return to Weight loss Talk