It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:07 pm

Free Newsletter

Are all teas equal????

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Are all teas equal????

Postby nothing2lose » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Hi all
A question...I don't like traditional tea (ie. that has tea leaves in it) so it is something I never drink. Over the past couple of years I have tried and liked some herbal fruit teas. The ones I like dont have any tea leaves in them (I think!) - lemon and ginger; rosehip; cranberry & raspberry. As far as I can tell they have no caffeine in them but I am pretty sure they dont have antioxidants in them either (if anyone knows differently, please let me know!)
I have not ever really tried green tea. I have noticed a couple of threads discussing the virtues of green tea. I am interested to know if it is that much better than the teas I drink at the moment??? Also, I am having big problems with fluid retention and poor circulation in my legs (getting spider veins :( ). Will green tea assist with this?

Thanks!

n2l
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011
nothing2lose

Re: Are all teas equal????

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:54 pm

There are no polyphenols (the antioxidant in white, green and black teas) in herbal tea so far as I know. This is because herbal teas aren't really 'tea' (made from the plant Camellia sinensis) but are called 'tisanes' (an infusion of roots, herbs, spices, leaves or other parts of plants that aren't Camellia sinensis).

Green tea has a huge amount of antioxidants, but it is quite high in caffeine. A cup of green tea can have up to half the caffeine of a cup of coffee so if you don't react well to caffeine it might not be a good choice. You can decaffeinate tea by steeping the tea-bag in hot water for 30 seconds, discarding the water, then making the cup of tea as normal. Caffeine is very water soluble so it's the first thing in tea to dissolve into the water.

If you want the antioxidants but don't like the taste of black or green tea, both of which can be quite bitter, you might want to try white tea. It is made from the leaves of the same plant, but picked much earlier so it has a more delicate taste. If you like herbal tea then you might like 'White and spicy' tea by the brand 'Qi'. They have it at my local IGA so it might be readily available at supermarkets.

I don't know if tea would help with your fluid retention or circulation. It might be best to talk to your GP about that.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby nothing2lose » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks EWQ!
I had not heard of white tea. I will look for it when I go shopping today.
I am assuming the "spicy" one you are talking about takes the bitterness away.

I will let you know how I go.

Many thanks for your help :)

n2l
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011
nothing2lose

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:55 pm

The 'spicy' is just the spices that are included with the tea. To me it tastes similar to chai tea. Qi also makes 'white and fruity' which may taste even more like herbal tea. To me white tea doesn't taste at all bitter, but I'm used to drinking all types of tea so it might be that I don't notice it any more.

White and spicy tea ingredients: Fairtrade white tea 80%, cassia cinnamon, cloves, ginger, natural orange flavour.
White and fruity tea ingredients: Fairtrade white tea 87%, licorice 5%, blueberry leaf, raspberry flavour, strawberry flavour, blueberry.

All of their ingredients are organic.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby alizezz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:01 pm

So anybody can ask the question all teas equal?
alizezz

Return to Weight loss Talk