It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:35 pm

Free Newsletter

"Big Girls'" Shops - a gripe

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

"Big Girls'" Shops - a gripe

Postby nothing2lose » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:35 pm

First of all, let me say I hate the term "Big Girl" (I also hate "BBW", "cougar" and "yummy mummy", but that's for another forum :lol: )
But in my time I have been drawn to the lure of online big girls' clothing shops more than I care to admit - especially bra and lingerie places. What gets me there is the fact that I am very well endowed (22F) and I have taken a liking to nice underthingies. Probably a hangover from my younger days which were spent wearing granny jocks and bras that looked more something a member of the CWA would wear! Historically, I have real trouble buying anything off the rack (no pun intended) at Target, KMart or similar. It is better than it used to be and I can usually get something at Myer. But still, I spend more than my fair share of time scouring online stores for something that is both functional and sexy - not necessarily in that order :wink:
Anyway.....What REALLY annoys me is when these places/brands spruik as catering for those of us "blessed" with extra curves but then the largest size they go to is 16DD. What the....?? 16DD!!!!!!??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know I am fat. AND top heavy BUT am I the only one who thinks that 16DD is not what you would consider a "Big Girl"???
Which brings me to another point. I read an article in the Age about a dutch model Doetzee someone or other (no, it wasnt cow) who was "too curvy" for the catwalk. When interviewed she was saying how she loved her boobs and hips and was proud of being healthy. Well, I looked at this girl and curvy she aint. She HAD NO HIPS!!! And boobs?? :lol: Let's just say she COULD buy a bra at Target - no worries at all. It reminded me of the old saying - Dont p*ss on my leg and tell me it's raining. This girl, while maybe healthy had NO CURVES. And, to me, to suggest otherwise is actually misleading and potentially damaging to young (and old) girls with body image issues. Google her and see for yourself. Let me know what you think.
To top it off, while perusing my local Salvos store the other day in the "Larger sizes" section, I learnt that apparently the Salvation Army, bless them, believe size 14 is "larger". SHeesh!! I must be Ginormous :lol:

Am I the only one who feels this way? Or am I overreacting???

n2l
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011
nothing2lose

Re: "Big Girls'" Shops - a gripe

Postby bigboomba » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:04 pm

I totally agree with you.
My personal gripe with female clothing is all Supre. Their sizing is from large (12) down to an xxs (4). They have clothes in there that, no joke, fit my 3y/o.

As for larger ladies clothing, I struggle to find bras aswell. Actually this is half my motivation to lose weight. I own 5 bras, all of them pretty lacey things, but none of them fit properly. All purchased off the internet because I couldn't find anything in an F cup in the stores. Even at my normal size (when I am my slimmest) it's still a 12/14 DD and that is pretty hard to find.

FTR, I also hate terms like BBW, it is fine to say that we should be happy with our bodies, it's an entirely different thing to say it's ok to be morbidly obese and stay that way. It's unhealthy and their lives are at risk.
SW:109.7kg
CW:104.9kg
1st mini goal: Double digits by September 4th!

UGW:55kg
WLTD:4.8kg

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wt50NLQ/
bigboomba

Postby FatFukShrinking » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:25 pm

I soo agree! What about when Jen Hawkins revealed her flaws? WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? Wow thanks Jen, i feel so much better knowing you have a single dimple in your thigh lol.

I hate the terms BBW, Yummy Mummy, SSBBW (Super size big beautiful woman). I hate when people try and comfort me by telling me that plenty of men love "Big girls" lol. I think liking someone because they are a BBW, is just as shallow as liking someone specifically for being a size 8. I don't want to be anyone's fetish... i just want to be liked for me. I always run away from men who tell me they like BBW's ... !!

Back to the clothing thing. Yeah i hate when "Big Girls" stores think 16DD is as high as plus size clothing goes. Having said that, ordering online is hit and miss. I have ordered panties and bras online that turned out to be some crazy tiny asian size.

I'm just trying to stop myself splurging out of my clothing. I can't wait to buy something nice. I honestly don't have any bras that fit properly. :shock:

SW: 121.3kg - 20/04/2010
First Goal: 109 kilos (Losing 10% of my body weight)
Second Goal: 99 kilos (Getting out of triple digits)
Third goal: 85 kilos (Getting back to a weight where i felt more like ME)
Ultimate long term goal: 60 kilos (Losing half of my start weight)
FatFukShrinking

Postby PortlyPrincess » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:38 am

Your definately not overreacting! Clothes shops are ridiculous places. It gets my goat to an extreme degree when shops display signs proudly boasting that they stock "plus sizes" and point towards their size 14-16 range. I could actually make an extensive laundry list of things that madden me about "big girls" clothes shopping, but I shall limit it to the following:

1) Why do shops such as My Size and City Chic stock so much in S and XS sizes. There are already more than enough stores catering to that market.
2) The choice of colours, or lack of in plus sized clothing. There must have been secret underground research conducted which determined that big women like to wear beige.
3) Shapeless sacks. It is as though makers of plus sized clothing are yet to realise that not all fat people are the same shape.
4) Why are there so few shops for larger sizes. If half the population is overweight, half of all clothes shops should be competing for my business.
5) Shop assistants. :x

Rant concluded.

:D
PortlyPrincess

Postby FatFukShrinking » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:15 am

Lol...

Shapeless sacks! I second that. Half the time the only thing i can find to buy resembles a queen size sheet with head and arm holes cut in it. A shirt with shape can make the world of difference! If i happen to find a nice piece of clothing, i usually go and buy it in all the colours or i buy a couple of the same thing, because i know it will be a long time before i find something i like again.

I thought all city chick clothing was plus size... i can only buy their stuff online so i was shocked to learn that they stock smaller sizers.

SW: 121.3kg - 20/04/2010
First Goal: 109 kilos (Losing 10% of my body weight)
Second Goal: 99 kilos (Getting out of triple digits)
Third goal: 85 kilos (Getting back to a weight where i felt more like ME)
Ultimate long term goal: 60 kilos (Losing half of my start weight)
FatFukShrinking

Postby bigboomba » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:19 am

In regards to city chic stocking S and XS sizes, they are actually around a size 16 and 14.

Their sizing is from size 14 upwards, but they tag them from XS - XL etc.

:)
SW:109.7kg
CW:104.9kg
1st mini goal: Double digits by September 4th!

UGW:55kg
WLTD:4.8kg

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wt50NLQ/
bigboomba

Return to Weight loss Talk