It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:43 pm

Free Newsletter

Are you a perfectionist?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Are you a perfectionist?

Postby FatFukShrinking » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:18 am

How many people here are perfectionists? Do you think this might have something to do with your previous failed weight loss attempts? I am an all or nothing type of person. All in or all out. No middle ground... near enough certainly isn't good enough. If i stuff up i almost can't handle it. I want to write the whole thing off and give up. It's easier for me to be doing nothing, instead of trying to do something and screwing it up.

Am i the only one like that?

:? :?:

SW: 121.3kg - 20/04/2010
First Goal: 109 kilos (Losing 10% of my body weight)
Second Goal: 99 kilos (Getting out of triple digits)
Third goal: 85 kilos (Getting back to a weight where i felt more like ME)
Ultimate long term goal: 60 kilos (Losing half of my start weight)

Re: Are you a perfectionist?

Postby Paula76 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:40 pm

I used to be like that!! I personally think it is one of the MOST important things to conquer in your WL journey. One slip up with a piece of chocolate is not going to put all your weight back on - perspective is the key. The problem with all or nothing is that when you do stuff up (and we are human, it will happen!) you give up. That is why WW and JC never worked for me because I was so good the whole time I was on them and then once at goal I ate the wrong thing and didn't know how to regain control because I saw myself as a failure.

I have been at this for 18mths and yes I could easily be at goal if I had been 100% good ALL THE TIME - but I haven't been and because of this I am learning about maintenance for once I get to goal - this is sooo important I believe. I am tackling this WL so differently this time. If I FEEL like a small bag of chips or a giant freddo, I eat them and then get right back on track - because I realise they are not that great.
SW 123kgs
CW 96.2kgs

Postby nothing2lose » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Hiya ffs

Yep..that's me. I am a perfectionist and competitive too. I have a tendency of thinking, if I cant be the best at something I dont want to do it. I am almost 39 and I am much better than I used to be. I think it comes with growing older and learning self acceptance.
It's interesting what you say about treating yourself Paula. My problem is I am not sure how often i should do it. I am worried that treats too easily become habits and, all of a sudden, you are back where you started from. Which kind of gets back to the perfectionist thing...sometimes I am worried if i dont have a "zero tolerance" approach to slip ups and treats, then it will get out of hand and I will lose total control over my eating.

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011

Postby alizezz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:54 pm

Yep! Im perfectionist!

Return to Weight loss Talk