It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:05 am

Free Newsletter

Some things I read on these pages alarm me. Am I alone????

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Some things I read on these pages alarm me. Am I alone????

Postby nothing2lose » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Hello all,

Like a lot of you out there I read lots of posts throughout this forum (when I am reading I am not eating! :lol: ) Unfortunately, I often come across posts from people who, I am sure, mean well but are doing things, or encouraging others to do things which I know to be dangerous or, at least, counterintuitive to weight loss and/or good health. I am always in a quandry as to what to do. The eldest child in me says to tell people what I think by posting what I know. The polite me says "mind your own business".

What should I do? I don't want people to think I am a pain in the neck. Nor do I want to discourage people from weight loss. But when I read about some regimes that have been totally debunked by the medical community, or people doing dangerous amounts of exercise on only a few hundred calories (and encouraging others to do the same) I find it hard to keep my mouth shut (not one of my best traits at any time!!)

What do other people think??

n2l
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011
nothing2lose

Re: Some things I read on these pages alarm me. Am I alone????

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:04 pm

This has always been a concern here. I remember one member quitting because she felt like everyone was criticising her weight loss choices, when they were just incredibly concerned that she was suffering an eating disorder and needed help.

I think it is ethical to point out if someone is making a dangerous choice. A lot of the time they're doing it because they don't know the risks involved. Society preaches that weight loss is as simple as 'calories in vs. calories out' so people can start dramatically cutting calories and increasing exercise not realising that they are effectively starving themselves because their net calories are so dangerously low. If I feel that someone is exercising away too many calories I let them know the problems associated with it. A few times I've questioned if people may be suffering from exercise addiction. The problem is that exercise addiction is technically anything more than 6 hours per week, which isn't that much!

The problem usually happens when people try to lose weight intuitively without researching the medical issues of different forms of weight loss. However, this can apply to 'helpful advice' as well. Lots of people swear that various diet programs won't work, from low-carb to meal-replacement to calorie counting, when really they're just saying that those programs don't suit them and they don't think they should work. I was very anti-Atkins until I read more about it. I didn't think Lite n' Easy would work in the long term until a friend of mine lost weight and kept it off following that program.

I think if you voice your concerns in an empathic rather than didactic way people are more open to discussion. Tell them your post comes from a place of caring and concern, or ask them if they've read a certain article that suggests an alternative viewpoint to what they are doing. Hopefully by engaging in conversation you can let them know that they are other, healthier, ways to lose weight.

(BTW, if I'm one of the people you feel is giving poor advice feel free to let me know! I'm open to learning new things about weight loss and I'm always interested in reading new articles :D )

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:11 pm

Oh, one more thing. At the end of the day we're all adults and have to make our own decisions. I think it's vital to point out if someone is endangering their health, but if they insist that what they're doing is best for them then there's not much you can do about it.

Of course this creates the dilemma that they may pass on their dangerous tips to others. Or if you don't badger them about it someone could jump into page 3 of a thread, see their weight loss routine, not see the debunking posts earlier in the thread, and think it's a great way to lose weight. Or that a newcomer may see the lack of argument as a tacit acceptance of dangerous weight-loss techniques.

For better or worse a forum is made up of people's opinions. Some will be well-informed, others not so much. Which is why anyone should always take any advice on the Internet with a grain of salt. If you read a tip, go out and research it first before trying it. Just because one person claims to have lost weight using a technique doesn't automatically mean it's a healthy way of doing it.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Shay » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi n2l,

I completely understand how you feel. I work in nutrition and physical activity, so without trying to sound arrogant I know a bit about the 'proper' approach to living a healthy lifestyle. So far I've taken the back seat unless someone says something that i feel is quite dangerous. I think people are pretty sensitive when it comes to weight loss, which is why I think we're hesitant :)
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Postby court » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:26 pm

The problem is that exercise addiction is technically anything more than 6 hours per week, which isn't that much!

wow I am going to google exercise addiction! p.s. I love this forum! :lol:
court

Postby ExerciseYPotential » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:19 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote: The problem is that exercise addiction is technically anything more than 6 hours per week, which isn't that much!

I doubt that is the only requesite for being diagnosed with exercise addiction.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed again.
ExerciseYPotential

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:26 pm

It depends on who is doing the classifying. Some researchers go purely by the amount of hours. I got the 'six hours' figure from a television program that was talking about exercise addiction where they stated that 23% of gym-goers exercised between 6 and 20 hours per week and had 'become dependent on their physical fix'. Other researchers use psychological criteria, for instance one report states that two current criteria for exercise addiction are impaired functioning and/or withdrawal, where withdrawal is 'adverse reaction to the interruption of exercise or unsuccessful attempts at exercise control' (Bamber, Cockerill, Rodgers & Carroll 2003 'Diagnostic criteria for exercise dependence in women', British Journal of Sports Medicine, p. 393) Whether you go by the hours or by the psychological effects, there are a few people who post here who would be in danger of qualifying as exercise addicts.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby nothing2lose » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:59 pm

hahaha!! Not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

n2l
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011
nothing2lose

Postby Jisgone » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:04 pm

I think suggesting they research further or book in to see a professional is the best way to deal with it.
Some people try all sorts of crazy ways to lose weight but they generally learn that quick fixes/detoxes/army diets/drugs dont work!
Jisgone

Postby AstroNutrition2 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:52 pm

What you should do is go and research even more. Some things may seem dangerous to you but is appropriate for the other person. Weight loss must be individualized, and catered to every individual's needs. For more tips on weight loss, visit me here:
Last edited by court on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: advertising link removed
AstroNutrition2

Return to Weight loss Talk