It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Free Newsletter

Wii Fit Plus - A waste of time???

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Wii Fit Plus - A waste of time???

Postby nothing2lose » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:06 pm

I know this is an exercise question, but I figure it might be good to post in both places...

I have a question...

Does wii fit exercise count?

I did 35 mins of it today (mostly aerobic) and burned approx 300 cals (according to them).

Does anyone know of the accuracy and/or effectiveness of this?

Am I just fooling myself and wasting my time?

thanks!!

n2l
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011
nothing2lose

Re: Wii Fit Plus - A waste of time???

Postby Jisgone » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:53 pm

What wii says and what my HRM say differ dramatically, my HRM always says way less! I wouldnt use it as my only exercise, but if you dont have any other options its better than nothing!
Jisgone

Postby nothing2lose » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:49 pm

Thanks Jewles!

You are right. I have decided to keep going with it as a (hopefully) complementary exercise tool. It HAS to be better than doing nothing!!

(which is my current exercise regime!!)

By the way, would you happen to know what I should be aiming for by way of calories burned through exercise each day???

N2l
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

nothing2lose

Postby Jisgone » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:00 pm

I built my way up... at first it was buring about 100 cals in half an hour, then I would up the intensity and burn 200 cals in half an hour, then I joined a gym and would aim for 400 in 45 minutes and now I burn about 600 cals in 45 mins. It is very easy to get used to the exercise you do so you have to keep pushing yourself to work harder and harder!
Jisgone

Postby achiruel » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:11 am

I can't say for myself, I tried Wii Fit Plus and found it incredibly boring, I rather go outside for a bike ride or walk or something, although it's good when it's raining or freezing outside.

But my wife has used it since Christmas (it was our Xmas present to ourselves) and she has lost about 12kg, probably also related to eating healthier but she seems convinced WFP helped.
achiruel

Postby stevo1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:32 pm

N2L,

Any exercise is going to be beneficial so even if the calories are inaccurate, don't worry about it- keep doing the exercise anyway!

The most important thing is that you enjoy the exercise and can make it a permanent part of your lifestyle.

Keep it up.

Cheers,

Steve.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising links are not allowed in signatures.
stevo1

Postby nothing2lose » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!

Answering my own question here but I found this article which I thought may interest others with the same query...

Wii Sports and Wii Fit Plus exercise equivalents in Diagnosis and treatment

by William R. Yates, MD

Regular exercise has been shown to be helpful in the prevention and management of a variety of clinical neuroscience conditions including: Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, major depression and anxiety disorders. However, motivating people to get involved in a regular exercise program is a significant challenge. Wii Sports and Wii Fit Plus may provide the motivation edge for some patients to start and maintain an exercise program.

The Wii video game system is a multi-gaming experience that includes modules designed to promote aerobic exercise, balance and stretching. Wii Sports and Wii Fit Plus are two programs that promote physical exercise. Wii Sports includes five activities: golf, bowling, tennis, baseball and boxing. Wii Fit Plus 63 activities grouped into yoga, resistance, balance and aerobic exercises.

The precise aerobic exercise values for the more active games for Wii received limited study. Now, a group of researchers at the National Institute of Health and Nutrition in Japan have published an important study on Wii game MET values.

MET or metabolic equivalent of tasks is a measure of aerobic effort required based on degree of effort. Typically rest is about 1 MET and physical activity is rated above this level. MET level will also be related to calories burned per minute by the activity.

The Japanese researchers had twelve adult men and women participate in each of the 68 Wii activities for an 8 minute period. Energy expenditure was calculated for each program using a open-circuit indirect metabolic chamber. This is a precise expired gas method with documented reliability and validity. MET values for each Wii exercise was calculated. Twenty two (33%) of the Wii activities were classified as moderate intensity (3.0 to 6.0 METs) in the experiment. Here is the list of the top 10 Wii activities ranked by MET value from the study:

METS (Activity)

* 5.6 Single-arm stand
* 5.1 Basic run
* 4.2 Boxing
* 4.2 Hula Hoop
* 4.0 Running Plus
* 4.0 Push-up and Side-Plank
* 4.0 Advanced Step
* 3.9 Rhythm Boxing
* 3.6 Boxing Squat
* 3.5 Balance Bridge

The other Wii Sports activities not in the top 10 were: golf 2.0 METs, Bowling 2.7 METs, Baseball 3.0 METs and Tennis 3.0 METs.

To compare these values with other forms of exercise, here is a list of MET values for a variety of exercises. These activities were selected from the website Healthful Life Project.

METS (Activity)

* 16 Running @ 6 minutes per mile
* 10 Running @ 10 minutes per mile
* 10 Bicycling @ 16 mph
* 8 Jogging @ 12 minutes per mile
* 6 Bicycling @ 10 mph
* 5 Tennis doubles
* 5 Walking @ 4 mph
* 4.5 Golf carrying clubs
* 4 Walking @ 3.5 mph
* 3.5 Golf not carrying clubs
* 2.5 Bowling
* 2.5 Walking @ 2 mph

You can see that the top Wii Sports and Wii Fit Plus activities fall in the range of walking a moderate to brisk pace. The study documents that specific Wii activities can be competitive with other moderate exercise activities. A series of high MET activities conducted in sequence would be a reasonable way to meet the recommended 30 to 60 minutes per day of physical activity.

Based on the MET values, a ballpark estimate of calories burned by the top 10 would be about 400 calories per hour (4 to 5 calories per minute). Obviously, this value will vary based on individual effort and weight.

This is an important study that will allow professionals to design programs for exercise using the Wii video game system.

nothing2lose

Postby Gordz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:58 am

Gday N2L (thats what i'ma call you)

I deffinately dont think that wiifit is a waste of time. depending on where you're at it may be too easy however. there are spacers for the board to increase intensity. If you have followed my posts, you'd have seen that I did them with weights in each hand an had great results.

Questioning wiifit as a platform is not sensible. Anything that gets your butt moving is beneficial. When you weigh in and see it on a graph; no better incentive. Not getting the results you want? Try harder, go longer. It works.

-Gordz =)
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Alexandria_ » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks for the article n2l!
In the past, I actually lost 5kg by just using wii fit with a good diet, so I definitely suggest using it. It can make exercise fun.
I find that it gives me extra motivation because I really want to get a new top score on each game I play.
Alexandria's weight loss!

Starting weight: 101kg (20.7.10)
Short-term goal: 95kg by 3.09.10
Long-term goal: 63kg
Alexandria_

Postby joleen_adam » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:02 pm

Wii Fit Plus coming out is what got me off my butt and motivated to lose weight so i have no complaints
joleen_adam

Return to Weight loss Talk