It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:36 am

Free Newsletter

Motivation

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Motivation

Postby emmab84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi everyone,

Sometimes I find it really hard to stay motivated, especially when I'm tired or I'd rather watch TV than get up and exercise. I've been trying to walk more recently. Little things like getting off the train a stop early and trying to walk around more during my day.

I've been wearing a pedometer and tracking my daily steps here: http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/worldwidewalk/#Scene_1

It's encouraging to see my total steps increasing each day and the chance of winning prizes helps keep me motivated and makes me want to keep going. Every little helps, right?

Just wanted to share it with everyone.
emmab84

Re: Motivation

Postby alyssa-jane » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:02 pm

I think thats a great idea (: anything that keeps you motivated is a good thing!
alyssa-jane

Postby fitnessnoob » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:02 am

It is great, find more things to stay motivated. It will help you to go hand in hand with the life!
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed.
fitnessnoob

Postby kotobird » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:48 pm

I'd like to share something I just posted elsewhere, but which is possibly more related to this discussion...

I was reading about the psychology of weight loss and exercise motivation and it was saying that sometimes we forget that out most important and powerful tool is our mind... and that we need to be prepared to face the discomfort involved in maintaining our weight loss activities. That psychological and emotional element is the thing that makes the difference between endless struggle and success. Having a reward system is great for balancing out that percieved discomfort with pleasureable things, but we also need to remember that it is part and parcel of the process, and it is within our power to view that effort as a success on it's own. If we can face our own reactions with wisdom, we can control our actions....

Just my opinion :)

SW: 83.1
MG 1: 78kg ACHIEVED!
MG 2: 75kg
MG 3: 72.5kg
MG 4: 70kg
Final Goal: 67kg
kotobird

Postby Emily_Chicken » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:10 pm

I make up A4 goal sheets: My goal, time period, what I am going to do differently and why I want to achieve it.

I stick these up in my bathroom, toilet, bedroom etc

It keeps me on track and having the real reasons I want to achieve this staring me down keeps me motivated.

I have lost 18kg so far :-)
Emily_Chicken

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:37 pm

I think Kotobird has something there. I've found over the past six months my own need for instant gratification seems to have been cut back and I'm a lot calmer and accepting of the daily grind of eating correctly and not just mindlessly pouncing on an unsuspecting pizza whenever one finds its way on the family dinner table. Self-control is in itself a reward, and a "transferable skill".
CronicBadger

Postby kotobird » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:28 pm

totally - in psychology circles it's called "deferring gratification" - feeling ok with not needing the pleasure of food to get us through the day, and knowing that consistent daily effort reaps much greater rewards - it's just put off a little. I personally have had big struggles with self-discipline, and I'm doing my best to learn about exactly why it's such a hard thing to master. It really can improve many areas of life if we somehow can! If we can nurture ourselves in other ways - having a nice bath, scheduling in some 'me' time to do that thing you never seem to get to do but you really want to - this can also help reduce our dependence on food for gratification.

kotobird

Postby HenryHo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:07 pm

hi im new
any ways i find it hard to get motivagted after one nights sleep
like at this moment i could be motivagted to do excersise and work outs but then
the next day i get lazy so i could never really stick to the plans i make
step by step and you will get there... eventually....

Current: 93.5kg
Goal: 85 kg
Date: 15/10/10
HenryHo

Postby CronicBadger » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:04 am

Henry, that's pretty much the same problem I had for most of my life. I'd promise myself I'd eat right, exercise, etc. I'd even do pretty well for a few days or even a few weeks. But then I'd conveniently forget for a day, and when I remembered again that I was dieting my promises didn't seem so concrete or important because I'd already broken them.

What I've found to be helpful is to write down things. A plan. A diary of exercise, of weight, of food I've eaten. And read it and add to it every day. Obsessively. Visit this website daily and read and re-read the articles to stay focused. Do anything to stay in control of your body rather than let it run your life for you. Know that the health decisions you make now are life-changing decisions and are the most important decisions you may ever make because they will continue to pay off positively for the rest of your life.
CronicBadger

Postby kotobird » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:54 am

the thing we must always remember is that in the cases discussed here, it is our emotional state that is dictating our actions... the hardest, but most effective task we have on our list is to separate emotion from the process. We need to allow our conscious mind to make our decisions, not our subconscious - our moods, our emotions... Not to say I've mastered this, but keeping this in mind is helping me in my journey :)

kotobird

Postby Gordz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:24 pm

kotobird wrote:I'd like to share something I just posted elsewhere, but which is possibly more related to this discussion...

I was reading about the psychology of weight loss and exercise motivation and it was saying that sometimes we forget that out most important and powerful tool is our mind... and that we need to be prepared to face the discomfort involved in maintaining our weight loss activities. That psychological and emotional element is the thing that makes the difference between endless struggle and success. Having a reward system is great for balancing out that percieved discomfort with pleasureable things, but we also need to remember that it is part and parcel of the process, and it is within our power to view that effort as a success on it's own. If we can face our own reactions with wisdom, we can control our actions....

Just my opinion :)

This is absolute golden text. You may have read elsewhere on the forum that i'm running 6km's most nights per week. It wasn't training, nor working up to that distance. It was me, deciding enough is enough and simply CHOOSING to run that far, and blowing myself away when I nailed the full distance non stop on the first attempt. The mind is an incredible tool. Last night during my run I was listening to american country music (where the lyrics actually say something) and I was following the words and imagining the scene in my mind. Before I knew it the man in the headphones came over the music and said I was 800meters in front of 'me' from the previous night.

Whether you need to kick yourself up the arse, take your mind off things, take yourself someplace else or simply set a rythmic pace, the mind can be trained and used as a powerful training tool in any situation...
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Sanov22 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:06 pm

Couldn't agree more. At least with respect to exercise... so much of it is mental rather than physical. When you start out your body's weak but so is your mind. You have to train your mind just as much as your body. Gotta learn how to approach exercise mentally to get the most out of yourself.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzWjG1y/]
[/url]
Sanov22

Return to Weight loss Talk