You'll be pleased to know that it is actually very easy to overcome metabolic syndrome. Without going into detail, here's a summary of what you need to do:
[PLEASE NOTE: I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice!]
- Perform aerobic exercise at least 5 days a week at a moderate pace for 20-30 mins
- To some form of resistance exercise 2-3 days a week for around 20-30 mins
- Follow a low-carb diet (this is not something I recommend everyone to do- only type 2 diabetics, women with PCOS and people with metabolic syndrome), which includes plenty of raw vegetables
- Use glucose disposal agents (you can do a google search on them to find out more about them and how they work- they are amazing! Things like: chromium, alpha lipoic acid, gymnema, fenugreek seed extract, cinnamon, etc.)
- Use 4-6 fish oil caps a day (some people suggest even more)
I have worked with many people who have had this condition and they have easily overcome it in a matter of weeks depending on the severity.
Make sure you always work with a doctor as well and let then know exactly what you are doing.
Do a little bit of research yourself in these areas so you can go to your doctor armed with the right information and you can give them your reasoning for using this approach (or something similar). Many (not all) doctors have limited training in nutrition so they continue to promote they same out-dated Food Pyramid rubbish that is one of the main contributing factors to this condition in the first place, just ask Professor Marion Nestle!
Your doctor is there to monitor your progress and to ensure your body is functioning well during it.
I wish you the greatest succuss!
I'm off to feed my boys (cats) now and then I'm off to bed. 13 days to go until Annie (GF) gets back... I can't wait!
P.S. I still can't work out how to do a list! Any ideas?
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen
on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links removed. Please refer to forum rules.