It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:55 pm

Free Newsletter

Multi Vitamins for women

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Multi Vitamins for women

Postby court » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:24 am

Ok i did a bit of a search but couldnt really find what i was after so I thought i would re-invigorate this thread. I am currently eating 1500 balanced calories a day on Lite n Easy - I work out a fair bit and like to add fresh veges to what i get from them.
However, I want to support my diet with a Multi. Is Centrum the best one out there? I know it is the most expensive so I figured... :roll:
Anyways I have been told in the past that a multi is such - as you get a lower concentration of everything in it - is this true? Is it better to get a high potency B capsule, a fish oil tablet (i have heard they are super good for you) and other individual capsules? Any advice would be great hoping to buy some today.
court

Re: Multi Vitamins for women

Postby nothing2lose » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi Court

I have been taking multivitamins for a while now (few years) however I did stop for a while earlier this year when a study came out linking daily multivitamin usage with breast cancer :( I did a bit of research and the studies dont seem conclusive (are they ever?) so I decided to get back on them.

I take Swisse Ultivite for Women. Not cheap either but I think they are good. I also take vitamin D supplements (as I am deficient), have a Berocca Performance and take two Fish Oil capsules. I think the fish oil is helping me not crave crap. May not be true but it sounds good!! :lol:

Hope this helps!

n2l
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011
nothing2lose

Postby stevo1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi Court,

A multivitamin/ mineral supplement is definitely a worthwhile option. Let's face it, it is almost impossible these days to get all the nutrients we need just from food.

The most expensive aren't always the best. Consider how much money they spend on marketing (TV ads, brochures, posters, flyers, window displays, radio campaigns, etc.). Someone has to pay for that and it is almost always the consumer!

Things to look for:

- Wide range of nutrients
- High degree of bioavailability of nutrients (Speak to a naturopath in a health food store about this. However, be aware that if they own the store they will generally recommend the product that provides them with the best margin. I mean, they are running a business at the end of the day!)
- Recommend 1 tab/ day
- Cost: less than $1/ day

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links removed. Please refer to forum rules.
stevo1

Postby Carley » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:11 pm

I'm torn on the idea of muliti-vitamins. I believe if you are eating a wide range of foods, you will get the vitamins you need. There are so many vitamins in foods! Unless you have a medical problem most times you do not need a vitamin. I do think you should look at taking fish oil and evening primrose oil, they will help a lot. I'm vegan and eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, soy, grains, nuts, and these foods are full of vitamins :)
Goal for 2016:
Current weight: 94 kilos
Starting weight: 102.5 kilos
Goal #1: 92 kilos
Carley

Postby stevo1 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:59 pm

Hi Carley,

I agree. It is highly likely that if you're eating well that you'll get all the vitamins you need, but how many people eat as well as you do?

Plus, I don't think vitamins are the main problem, I think it is more likely that minerals are the problem. I think that more people have mineral deficiencies compared to vitamin deficiencies.

I would hypothesise that here in Australia, due to our very sandy soils and modern farming practices, that quite a few people are minerally deficient. However, I haven't seen any solid research or testing to prove this so I could be wrong.

Neverthess, I'm not waiting for the research to come out. I'm all about giving my body cheap 'health insurance'! At best it is helping my body function a bit better, at worst it's not hurting my body, so I'm going to take my daily multi.

Plus, I do notice that if I stop taking them for a week I start to feel a little bit more tired. This could be a placebo effect or maybe they do give me a little boost. I can't be certain.

However, it is a person's right to choose either way.

Cheers,

Steve.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links removed. Please refer to forum rules.
stevo1

Postby Carley » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:18 am

stevo1 wrote:Hi Carley,

I agree. It is highly likely that if you're eating well that you'll get all the vitamins you need, but how many people eat as well as you do?

Then if you know your diet is lacking and doesn't have a wide range shouldn't you fix that? It's not hard to eat healthy, it is putting in the effort. Vitamins can only do so much, but if your going to take vitamins, you should get a blood test to see which you are lacking other wise you will have too many in your body which can have the same negative effect as not having enough.
Goal for 2016:
Current weight: 94 kilos
Starting weight: 102.5 kilos
Goal #1: 92 kilos
Carley

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:52 am

Carley wrote:I'm torn on the idea of muliti-vitamins. I believe if you are eating a wide range of foods, you will get the vitamins you need. There are so many vitamins in foods! Unless you have a medical problem most times you do not need a vitamin. I do think you should look at taking fish oil and evening primrose oil, they will help a lot. I'm vegan and eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, soy, grains, nuts, and these foods are full of vitamins :)

Do you take any supplements as a vegan? I'm vegan too. Have been for about sixteen years. If you're not already taking B12 I strongly urge you to do so. I thought fortified soy milk would be enough for my B12 intake but I was diagnosed as severely B12 deficient six years ago. It had progressed to my having frightening symptoms of neural damage: confusion, lack of coordination, dizzy spells. Unfortunately the damage can never be completely fixed and I still feel a little fuzzy mentally as a result. I really urge vegans to take a daily B12 supplement so you can avoid what I went through!

It's also worth getting your vitamin D levels tested because vegans don't get vitamin D in their diets. Already many Australians are vitamin D deficient and vegans are at the top of the risk list for it. There are two types of vitamin D supplements: D2, which is vegan, and D3, which is not. If you need to take a supplement you need to seriously consider whether it's worth breaking your veganism and taking the D3. It is far more easily assimilated by the body than D2, and there is far less likelihood of toxicity. I know many vegans who opt for D3 for health reasons. I'm one of them.

I agree with Steve about mineral deficiency. Research has shown that vegans often get inadequate zinc in their diets. It's worth taking a multivitamin just for the minerals in my opinion.

I also agree with Carley about getting tested so that you can target your dietary supplementation. The only problems are that, a) few people get blood tests regularly to check their vitamin levels, b) doctors rarely test for absolutely everything (I have no idea what my selenium levels are, for instance), and c) depending on the doctor they may not test you for the right things. I was getting my iron levels tested every couple of years when I was in my 20s because I was told it was a risk factor for vegetarians and vegans. It wasn't until I started feeling decidedly unwell that a doctor thought to check my B12. The irony is that B12 deficiency causes a drop in red blood cells, but makes the existing red blood cells swell. I was anaemic but it wasn't showing up on the tests because B12 deficiency masks it so well.

I think a lot of the push for multivitamins comes from the supplement industry, but I see no harm in taking them as insurance. A combination of daily multivitamin and regular blood testing would be the best way to avoid nutritional deficiencies, either one alone may not be enough in some instances. Multivitamins are good for maintaining your vitamin and mineral levels but a multivitamin would never have brought my B12 back up to its necessary levels. I needed injections for that. Multivitamins don't provide huge amounts of minerals or vitamins if you are severely deficient in anything. Some medical conditions prevent people from absorbing necessary vitamins and multivitamins won't help with that. Self-diagnosing and supplementing may delay the identification and treatment of these conditions. All in all you also need to consider your individual health. Pregnant women shouldn't take supplements with vitamin A. Pre-menopausal women have different needs than post-menopausal women. A discussion with your dietitian or GP would be the best way to determine what's best for you in regards to supplements, multivitamins and blood testing.
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Weight loss Talk