It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:43 pm

Free Newsletter

Protein Powder

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Protein Powder

Postby 2ndTimeBecky » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:07 pm

During a discussion with a trainer at the gym when organising my weights program he mentioned to me the use of protein powder. He encouraged me to have some before doing my weights, and some before bed at night, as I wouldnt be able to get enough protein during the day without having too many calories. He also said to me that women, due to a lack of testosterone dont develop muscle so it wont make me 'bulky' and the body builders do so with steroids and the like. Ive never heard this information before (which doesnt make it not true) and was wondering if anyone had any opinions/experience/articles in relation to protein supplements.

In a way I am curious to try this, however I am making these lifestyle changes for life and dont want to do something that I cant do forever or that isnt sustainable. I dont want to start on a gimmic and it be the thing that lets me down later.

Any thoughts/opinions/experiences/articles/reports would be much appreciated :-D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgDr74s/]
2ndTimeBecky

Re: Protein Powder

Postby InnerStrength » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:53 am

I may have gained quite a bit of weight in the past few months, but when I was physically active, I always consumed whey protein right before working out and in the morning. I gotta tell ya, it REALLY DOES WORK. The only thing that I would advise is that you don't put the powder in the wrong item. Putting the protein in whole milk isn't advisable as you'll gain weight.

However, if you mix the powder into yogurt or low fat milk, you're setting yourself up for success. It's low-cal, but high in protein (which is exactly what you need). Of course, if you're looking to get a bodybuilder's physique, a high calorie diet MAY be good (but this is a weight loss forum -- so I don't advise it. lol).

Either way, I take it right before working out and in the morning as a breakfast. Never heard of consuming it right before bed, but I don't see how it could hurt. :)
InnerStrength

Re: Protein Powder

Postby fitnessnoob » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:52 am

protein powder every day can boost immune system health, facilitate the healing of wounds after surgery or injury, and promote healthy skin — in addition to fostering muscle strength and development. A human body needs protein daily because that is what muscles and tissues are built from, and there is no place where the body can store extra protein. The need for adequate protein in the human body is second only to the need for water.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed.
fitnessnoob

Return to Weight loss Talk