It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:52 pm

Free Newsletter

how to stop snacking.... any ideas?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

how to stop snacking.... any ideas?

Postby lalalaaa » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:05 pm

I don't know if anyone else does this, but I seem to eat more in snacks than I do a meal.
My issue is I snack, when I am not hungry. :oops:
(you'll never guess how I got overweight :wink: )
I find myself reaching for a snack whenever I sit down, esp at work.
I have filled my cupboards/handbag with snacks of 50-100 cal, but instead of just one, I'll reach for two.
I have cut back on the size of my lunch and dinner to accommodate my snacking habit and keep within my calorie allowance.
So any ideas on how to stop snacking?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNncKpV/]
[/url]
lalalaaa

Re: how to stop snacking.... any ideas?

Postby ali76 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:13 pm

Chew chewing gum!! Or brush your teeth - the taste of food after toothpaste is gross!!

Or if you can't stop snacking, have things like carrot sticks and salsa, celery, cucumber, etc - foods that have next to no calories. Or try herbal teas - green, peppermint, camomile, etc.

Are you busy at work? I often snack if I'm bored!

Can you take time out to go for a walk instead?
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:42 am

I find that keeping my hands busy stops me from excessive snacking. Knitting, drawing, writing all keep my mind occupied and stop my hands wandering towards food. If you've got into the habit of snacking while working it's a bit harder. Perhaps you need to make yourself get up from your desk each time you want to snack. Think of it as your OH&S break away from the screen. Even just standing up while eating might break the psychological connection between sitting and snacking. Then you can better schedule your standing snacks so that you regain a bit of control over when you eat.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby JustBe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Snacking isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world, its what I do to keep my energy and blood sugar levels at a constant throughout the day. I used to find that eating 3 solid meals would knock me about and I'd get energy slumps, so I pretty much evolved my diet to include smaller meals and more snacks.

It is an issue however when its essentially boredom eating, again something I suffered from when I'd end up spending a day watching TV and picking at quick snacks. The best way to deal with this is to identify when you catch yourself snacking and work out if you have any triggers.

Best way to deal with boredom eating is to put your attention somewhere else, when you're focused on something you won't notice that you've got nothing better to do than snack.

Another trick that hypnotherapists use for these kind of things (my mom's friend is a hypnotherapist) is substitution. Works really well for smoking too apparently, as it moves your perceptions mentally away from the problem. All you do is whenever you reach for a snack, do something else, but make sure its the same action each time. Try taking a bottle of water with you instead of snacks, and when you feel a pang have a couple of sips of water instead.
JustBe

Postby Gordz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:26 am

600ml bottle of water. its 4 -5 gulps at a time and keeps you filling it up, which also keeps you going to the pisser. Makes you feel full, while also looking after your insides and tricking your brain into thinking it's full. Try it for a week. Let me know.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby lalalaaa » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks for the suggestions, I already drink 2.5l of water at work. I am fairly sure they all think I have a some sort of urinary problem.
Its not so mch boredom as I am busy, but I write databases and their processes and policies which ties me to my desk.

Over a week I'll have carrots, celery, cucumbers, mints, sugar free sweets, yoghurts, museli bars and if need be an emergency chocolate (a mini milky way or a freddo frog) etc, so they aren't overly unheathy snacks.
I am still losing weight and keeping to my calorie quota from ck of 1220cal. I have just become far more aware of food and what I do and what others around me do.
I just don't know if its good idea to be snacking/ grazing all day, the guys(yes they are all male) I work with don't snack, so I end up feeling a bit like a pig as I munch on a carrot.
It looks silly as I write it, but its how I have been feeling the last week or so.

Maybe, I should take a look at hypnotherapy
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNncKpV/]
[/url]
lalalaaa

Postby 2ndTimeBecky » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:14 am

Hey Lalalaaaa, one thing I have found is that if they are not there then I wont reach for them, I take to work each day my two snacks for the day and once they are gone there is simply no food to eat, then the water on my desk is all I have until the next meal/snack. This all depends on what sort of work environment you work in, if there is an unhealty vending machine near your desk then this may not work as your healthier options are better than those. At my work there is a vending machine a long walk away and upstairs, I walk near it often but it isnt part of my routine and in 9 months I think I have been there twice (before I started my new lifestyle too). I too sit at my desk and eat carrots, capsicums, chick peas etc... they call me rabbit at work because of what I eat but it doesnt bother me!!! My work is also within 100m of McD, RR and KFC so if I dont have the food right there the temptation is just too great. Try just having the snacks you need for the day, keep the rest at home and bring them in each morning, might help with the boredom snacking anyway. Good Luck!!! :-D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgDr74s/]
2ndTimeBecky

Postby sez_b » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:11 pm

Im the same, great ideas guys, keep them coming!!!

I like the chewing gum one & drinking water, simple but effective hey!
sez_b

Postby mum2james » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:51 am

Drinking water is my favourite way to stop snacking. When I do have a snack I reach for something that fills me up like fruit or make some air popped pop corn (nothing added). :)
Stacey - 25 and mum to a beautiful 5 year old boy. :-)

Current weight: 76kg
Goal Weight: 70kg
mum2james

Postby Marissa » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:25 am

Snacking isn't always bad, as long as it's done in a healthy way. Overeating is bad because it causes your body to store fat, but eating healthy foods like high-fiber fruits and nuts can be healthy for you and still satisfy your hunger.
Marissa

Postby AlanaPT » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi there,

My question is what are you snacking on?
The type of snacks you are having couiold be the problem; if they are high in sugars and fats they may be burning through you too quickly, leaving you hungry a short while later. An example is a musli bar. It contains very little protein (protein burns slower so it will fill you up for longer) and is high in carbohydrates (sugars, which burn fast, leaving you craving more), so it's easy to want 2 or 3 of these in a row. Another example is a "97% Fat Free" youghurt; again, generally high in sugars and not much else. You need fat and protein in these foods to help slow down their digestion time. Foods like these should be avoided when on a weight loss plan (actually all the time, really, as they aren't very nutririous and advertising is misleading) as they actually encourrage over eating. Thier manufacturers want you to believe they are good for weight loss so you keep buy more as suprise suprise, you never seem to lose weight!
Look forward to your answer :)

Alana :)
AlanaPT

Return to Weight loss Talk