It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:46 pm

Free Newsletter

Weight Loss Shakes?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weight Loss Shakes?

Postby counrikke » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:05 pm

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to know, does anyone have any experience with weight loss shakes? or slimming shakes?

I work funny hours and I have friends who also work with me that have used shakes and lost a lot, but haven't been able to contact them yet. So I thought I'd contact you guys.

Do you have any experience with them? What are you experience?

Do you recommend any? (I searched, and I probably wouldn't go anywhere some from the search, some are overpriced junk)

Cameron ^^

Re: Weight Loss Shakes?

Postby JustBe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Hey Cameron,

Weight loss shakes (like weight gain shakes) are great ways to change your weight if you're having issues with maintaining a decent diet plan. This was my biggest issue as I too was working funny hours and not always able to stick in a good routine for eating.

I tried shakes but didn't really get anything from them, other than an empty wallet :P but seriously, they didn't to anything for my weight. I've hears some people get good results from them though so I might not have been using them right, although I didn't really have the budget to keep trying them out.

However I found that the best way to get my weight under control was to eat smaller meals more regularly (like 5-7 a day) and slightly increase the amount of protein I was getting. To start it didn't really matter where it was coming from but the change in diet started the process and I refined it to fit my lifestyle through trial and error.

If you do want to look at weight loss shakes, then I'd recommend getting a blender and getting some weight loss smoothie recipes (try searching on-line). This is what I do to replace breakfast sensibly as I found that it was the meal I had most problems getting regularly.

Once you get into the habit of making smoothies for shakes you'll save a bundle and get a good habit

Postby Siege-a-licious » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:42 am

Hi Cameron

In 2006 I lost 23 kg's in 4 months, dropping from a size 18 to a size 12 with hardly any effort or exercise (I hired a treadmill for 3 months) using a well advertised, chemist based shake program. At the time I was managing a subway store and was entitled to free meals, so had a shake for breakfast, subway salad for lunch, and a shake for dinner.

I then met my now husband, and 4 months of weight loss turned into like 2 months of weight gain, and 35 kg's later, I was totally unable to maintain my weight loss using the shakes.

I tried the shakes again last year, and couldnt shift a single gram... not sure why. My GP told me my body was probably immune to the shakes as they had already done their job by kicking starting my weight loss all those years before, and now they are useless to me.

I think I was lucky to have had such a huge loss in the begining, but then again I was young, single, and a bit of a nazi to myself, and now im not.

I reccomend them for that inital "kick start" to get the ball rolling, but long term, all you are doing is helping some guy upgrade his yacht or mansion or collection of ferarries lol.
Me 25 Him 28
TTC #1 since March 2007

Doing this for our babies in waiting!

Postby dragonfly » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:20 pm

I have done the weightloss shake plans various times in my life, Admin Censored, kate morgan, tony fergusson, and a few no name ones. oh and optifast.

i lost weight. yep. but once i stopped them i gained it back again, also being pregnant as well didnt help.

but now I use my favourite flavours from all three brands, and use them if I am in a hurry and need something quick before heading out. totally against their rules, which btw I found the programs restrictive and not something i could continue on the rest of my life. you need to find something that fits in with your life, and it sounds like an overall good eating plan and including those shakes when the time and place isnt suitable for cooking or preparing a meal. also they are way cheaper than going to subway or McDonald or a cafe to grab a roll.

just stay away from optifast vanilla, HORRID, and the butterscotch flavours are pretty gross in all brands.
optifast choc mousse is yummy, and the tony fergusson banana is yummy. I love the kate morgan berry, banana, pina colada, and pine/lime flavours.

mind you alot of them require membership to buy shakes, unless you get them off ebay. some sellers sell sample packs so you arent comitted to a whole box of one flavour only.

goodluck, and hope you get the weightloss results you are after.
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg

Postby skinnygal » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:15 pm

Have to say I've never tried shakes, other than the yummy milkshake variety ;)
However, my housemate (28-y-o female) used to mix them up in the morning - one for brekkie and one to take to work instead of lunch. I think she did that for around 8 weeks and looked to outshrink her clothes pretty quickly. She also went to the gym 3 times a week, though, which she hadn't done before.
BUT and this is the kicker. As soon as she went back to real F-O-O-D she not only filled back out, but her once-perfect clothes got TIGHT. I am therefore a major shake-skeptic but may be convinced if anyone's had GOOD experiences? Surely not all shakes are created equal and I'm not going to spend half a day in Priceline guessing :-S (Also let me know if anything tastes good/bad as I'm not into too much sacrifice!!)

Postby jeankarla » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi there,

I do have experience drinking weight loss shakes or shall i saw smoothies. I have been used to it already. My shakes or smoothies comprise raw fruits and veggies. How about yours?

I have been hooked in raw food dieting. I have been doing it for few months now. Eating freshly picked fruits as well as veggies that i enjoying growing in my backyard. i am eating purely raw. before, i was eating cooked and processed food but i felt that those kinds of foods are not healthy. i am not getting the essential vitamins or in totality the nutrition my body needs.

Try to have some raw shakes or smoothies. and tell me how you made it and the experience you had.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed from signature. Please refer to forum rules.

Postby smithk0071 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:29 pm

weight loss shakes homes are simple and easy to do because they require no cooking. When you use fruit or vegetables as main ingredients for weight loss house shakes, you can get a good dose of all vitamins and minerals in a glass. In addition, it can also serve as a substitute for other meals.

Fruits - these are helpful in getting rid of toxins from the body while providing antioxidants.

o Yogurt or low-fat milk - for your dose of vitamin D and calcium.

o Protein powder - for easier and faster digestion of your food while keeping you full for longer periods of time.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not post commercial links in your signature. It violates the forum rules.

Postby ingridemily » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:08 pm

The shakes worked well for me as a kick start.. They're so expensive though. And while you're on them you'll get sucked in to buying other products from the same company, making it cost even more overall. I also found them very hard to stick to, so I gave myself a break every weekend, but still kept a close watch as to what I ate weekends, for example I was making home made pizzas on pita bread, loaded with various vegies and lean meats and little cheese.
I was lucky enough to come off the diet and maintain and continuing to loose weight after the shakes. I lost just over ten kilos in a month and another ten over 6 months. Mind you, I didn't return to over eating or eating bad foods more frequently than what would be described as having treats. Once I met my now boyfriend, it gradually came back. Arg. I wouldn't do it again simply because I'd prefer to have healthy meals than have shakes, I didn't feel right depriving my body of food. It's not natural. I was starving ALL the time.
But different things work for different people :)

Postby maryjaneroberts » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:16 am

Weight loss shakes can be the best tool to help you lose those unwanted pounds. If you have been trying to lose weight for the longest and you have not been able to stick to any diet for more that a couple of days, weight loss shakes can be the key to your success.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising links are not allowed in signatures.

Postby countrymum83 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:54 pm

I tried the biggest looser shakes, but i found they didnt really do anything.. but i guess they all work different for other people...

Postby dinosaur371 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:32 am

I have Isowhey at the moment. I only have it for breakfast because its quicker than most other breakys and I like to try to sleep in as long as possible :D. It seems pretty good so far and keeps me full until lunchtime which has stopped me eating junk at uni. I haven't lost much weight yet (about 1.5kg but I've also been to a kids birthday: read fairy bread and a 21st: read way too much beer). They are pretty expensive but coles and woolies have some that are cheaper. I tried those first to see if I liked them and could handle drinking my food. Hope that helps.

Postby jarichon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:27 pm

If shakes are convenient or help you lose weight then that is great. What worries me about meal replacement shakes and bars is the long ingredient list in them. The ones I've seen have a lot of additives like artificial colors and flavors to help boost the taste and attractiveness of the shake. I like to know what's in the food I eat and some shakes have a long list of things I don't know or want to eat. :)

Return to Weight loss Talk