It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:16 pm

Free Newsletter

Would love some tips about diet :)

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Would love some tips about diet :)

Postby Blake92 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum! :)

I am an 18 year old male who would like to lose 5-10kg for summer so I can feel better and have a little bit more confidence in myself. A couple of weeks ago I joined a gym and I have lost about 3kg in 1 month, I feel thats pretty good!

Now I have taken care of my exercise plan, the next must be food! I love food.

I don't eat chips or ice cream or cakes or anything like that, but I eat HEAPS of processed ham, white bread and Pasta. Aswell as drinking probably over a litre of milk a day.

I feel these 4 things are really going to become a problem for me to continue losing weight, so, I've decided that to cut down on milk I'm going to drink a lot of water. Processed Ham is my main 'snack' so I'm going to try and incorperate a bit more fruit instead of having a sandwhich. Brown bread instead of white bread should make a change.

My problem is pasta, I love pasta, but obviously I can deal with having to get rid of it to lose a few kilos in the following months. But I can't find an alternative. My friends say that if I want to put on muscle and lose fat, that a high protein meal would be elite after the gym. Could anyone please suggest something I could eat that is really high in protein and also give any tips with their diet that has helped them achieve their goals? Thanks! :D
Blake92

Re: Would love some tips about diet :)

Postby Gordz » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:10 pm

mate, as another aussie thats lost over 20 kg... don't care what you eat... really. just get off your ar$e and excercise. I'm not going to lecture you on calories or what not. You know when you eat $H!T food. Stop kidding yourself. Eat it all you want, but by christ you better work it off plus more. Good luck mate.

Gordz Tip Of The Week:

Every Tv show you watch: 10 situps and 20 pushups per ad break.

Do it.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby AlanaPT » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:10 pm

HI!

Try brown rice instead of pasta; it will fill you more and you won't have to eat as much of it. If you simply love the pasta, make sure it is with a high protein sauce like meatballs or a bolognese that is very meaty. Even a cream sauce is better than just a tomato, as both fat and protein will slow the digestion of carbs, fill you up more and you wont be able to so much of it, thus, reducing your overall calorie intake. I personally don't eat pasta at all; I find it leaves me craving carbs for hours after eating it, regardless of amount of protein with it then I tend to seek out icecream. Pasta is made from white flour which is very low i. nutritional value and will not fill you for long. Most of my clients have found this is the same for them. They also find it hard to avoid seconds, so they end up eating far too much in one sitting. Also, try brown pasta- it is more filling and will give you longer lasting energy as it is made from wheat flour.

Ham is quite salty, so I would not eat it daily. A high salt diet is linked directly to heart disease, so go easy on it. Make sure its a quality ham off the bone too. If you buy packet ham from the fridge section of the supermarket, check the packet for what % meat it is. Some are shockingly low (like 60% ham) and the balance is made up of water, salt and additives.

If you are drinking milk, ensure it is full fat, as you need the fat to slow down the digesion rate of the dairy sugars (you have probably heard of lactose as a common one). I don't recommend excessive milk intake as it will add to the calories. like you said- try water- its calorie free and better at hydrating :)

Word of warning: if you subsitute your ham sandwich with fruit- you will probably starve :) try grilled Chicken and salad on rye bread instead. Try swapping every second ham for a chook :)

Hope this is helpful.
AlanaPT

Postby stevo1 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi Blake,

Congratulations on your weight loss results so far mate!

Here are some tips that you may find useful in helping you get the extra 5 kilos off:

Eat more natural (unprocessed) foods
    Have 5-6 small meals a day
    Ensure each of your meals contains all 3 macronutrients (carbs, protein and fat)
    Have more fibrous carbs (broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, carrots, etc.) compared to processed carbs (bread, pasta, rice, baked goods, etc.)
    Get into the habit of preparing all of your meals

Here's some examples of some snacks you can have for your mid-morning and mid-afternoon meals. They are quick and easy to prepare:

1 small tin of plain tuna on 2 corn thins
    1 apple and 12 almonds
    100g low-fat yoghurt mixed with 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese (it really doesn’t taste that bad!)
    1 Protein Shake made with 100mls of low-fat milk and 100-200mls of water
    1 banana and 8 cashew nuts
    1/2 punnet of strawberries and 15 pistachio nuts
    1 tin of flavoured tuna
    1 tin of flavoured chicken breast

I hope you find this useful.

All the best with achieving your weight-loss goal Blake!

Cheers,

Steve.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links removed from signature. Please refer to forum rules.
stevo1

Return to Weight loss Talk