It is currently Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:46 am

Free Newsletter

Has anyone tried the 0 calorie "Miracle Noodles"?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Has anyone tried the 0 calorie "Miracle Noodles"?

Postby BlueRaven » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:27 pm

I just found out about these today, they are Japanese and also called shirataki. I didn't know that any foods were 0 calorie foods. Has anyone tried them?

SW: 84.5kg
CW: 81.5kg
GW: 60kg
BlueRaven

Re: Has anyone tried the 0 calorie "Miracle Noodles"?

Postby dragonfly » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:23 pm

I have heard of them, but i only found they were available in america, they wouldnt ship to an australian address.
sure sounds like a wonderful to good to be true food hey!!!

next please invent 0 calories chocolate LOL
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Postby matchbox » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:28 pm

I don't think they're 0 calorie, i think from memory its about 34 calories, still awesome though. EvilWombatQueen has tried them, i believe she's said they have a weird texture and not everyone likes them (she does, her partner doesnt) You can send her a PM and she can probably tell you more, this is just all off the top of my head :mrgreen: oh and you can buy them from asian grocers :)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby BlueRaven » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:02 pm

I went to the site and apparently they do ship them to Australia... $50 paypal payment later I have 20 packets supposedly on their way lol I hope I like them :shock:
I will let you know how they go.

And 0 calorie chocolate would be a dream dragonfly! I am trying to do the celebrity slim diet and there's choc fudge meal replacement bars so that is how I've been curbing my chocolate cravings. I have never admitted this before but I was capable of eating a WHOLE family sized block of cadbury in an evening :oops: :oops: :oops: albeit feeling very sick afterwards... no wonder I put on 25kg in less than 6 months.

BlueRaven

Postby dragonfly » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:24 pm

oooh that would be good, they ship to australia now. I looked at them aggggggges ago.

let us know what you think of their flavour, and what calorie value they are.
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:41 am

I buy them from my local Japanese supermarket in South Yarra. The do have a funny texture, very rubbery, and an odd smell because of the liquid they're stored in. You need to rinse them thoroughly before use. I quite like them but, as Lexi pointed out, my partner can't stand them so I don't use them that often. You can buy shirataki in cake form and cut them into pieces too. I bought it that way to make my own vegetarian scallops, but it didn't taste nice at all. :(
EvilWombatQueen

Postby BlueRaven » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:01 am

I'm still waiting for them to arrive, can't wait to taste them!! I will give a thorough description of them when they arrive :lol:

BlueRaven

Postby BlueRaven » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:38 pm

I got my Miracle Noodles today, they arrived in a big box and my Dad picked them up at the post office.
They are 10 calories per 100gram serve. Each package is 150gram net weight but they are stored in liquid so 100gram once the liquid drained.

I decided to have some for tea tonight, I opened the package and the noodle liquid had a weird fishy odour!! Luckily that odour didn't stick around after I rinsed them for about a minute. I then boiled them for about a minute and then drained them and added them to steamed veges with some tomato paste and light cheese.... they took on the tomato paste flavour but their texture was indeed rubbery. They are definetly not pasta like. They aren't the best but the meal did fill me up.

I think of them as the food equivalent of drinking water, nothing special but filling and guilt free :D

19 packets left hehehe

BlueRaven

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:44 am

I'm glad you didn't find them repulsive! Otherwise it'd be hard going to get through the remaining 19 packets! :lol:

I find they taste best in soups, personally. Especially miso soup with veggies and tofu. I think the variety of textures and the broth mask the chewiness of the noodles. Something to try when you're on the 12th or so packet and wondering what the hell else you can do with them. :lol:
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Weight loss Talk