It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:34 am

Free Newsletter

Body image - is this normal

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Body image - is this normal

Postby Emily_Chicken » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:17 pm

I am new to this forum... I just wanted to get an opinion as to whether this is normal...

I have lost 17kg and am losing another 7kg - I am over half way and very proud of my achievement... but my biggest issue is somedays I feel great about myself and others I am still insanely disgusted by my body. Is this normal? My perception can change within a day - sometimes between getting in and out of the shower.

I am worried that no amount of weight loss will be enough, can anybody relate to this?

Tks Ems

Re: Body image - is this normal

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi Emily, welcome to the forum!

Is it normal to vary in how you feel about your body? You betcha, most people have days where they are more in love with themselves than other days. :wink:

I'd be worried if it's affecting your life negatively, for instance if you start wanting to lose more weight than is healthy or if the way you see your body starts to affect the way you see yourself as a person and starts affecting you emotionally in the long term. It is also possible to actually perceive yourself as fatter than you are (many people do this to varying degree) and this can become a problem because it might affect how much weight you try to lose, or how you feel about yourself.

Personally I find it hard to accurately perceive my body weight, so I rely on external information like clothing size, weight, measurements and competent medical opinion. I also try to make sure that I focus on health and try to keep my body image separate from my self image so that I can say "yeah, I need to lose a few kg's for my health, but I'm still the same person and I'm beautiful/smart (whatever) and a nice person regardless of how fat my body is".

Regardless of how you THINK you look, you will definitely be healthier with sensible eating and a reasonable amount of exercise. If you're worried about whether your weight is actually ok, get an opinion from a GP you trust, or even a competent personal trainer/fitness/weightloss consultant. If you think maybe it's more about how you think and feel about yourself regardless of you objectively look and it's really starting to affect you, maybe think about going to see a psychologist (talk to your GP about a possible referral).

All the best with it.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Return to Weight loss Talk