It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:11 am

Free Newsletter

Doing everything right, not loosing weight

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Doing everything right, not loosing weight

Postby stetson » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:55 pm

My girlfriend (27 years old) has just returned from visiting her doctor, where she was hoping for her blood tests to highlight a reason as to why she is not loosing weight. They did not.
About 12 months ago she started gaining weight around the hips, thighs, glutes and abdomin for no apparant reason.
She has not, and still does not live anything that resembles a sedentary lifestyle. She studies for 3 day a week - diploma of sports - and works the other 3/4 days.
She does the gym 4 times a week and can easily sustain cardio for 40 minutes, followd by various stretching and weight based exercises.
For the last 8 months she has restricted her dietary intake. A typical days eating includes muesli/fruit for breakfast, fruit/muesli bar for lunch and a piece of lean meat with veg for dinner. Protein/meal replacement shakes are consumed once a day also.
She is now very down and cannot see a way forward. She is not very tall and all the weight around the middle has drastically altered her image and self confidence. Water retention is a possibility, she has had a couple of lymphatic drainage massages, but surely cannot be held totaly responsible for the weight gain?
All the obvious rules and guidelines have been adhered to for a long duration now, without real results.
All ideas as to where she can go now gratefully received.
stetson

Re: Doing everything right, not loosing weight

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:03 am

The obvious - has she started any medications (e.g. contraceptive hormones, any other medications etc)? Though her GP should have noticed these. She's also getting to the mid life area and most women will tell you your body shape does change as you age. Maybe have a chat to her mum and grandmother or older sisters if that's possible and see if this is a genetic pattern for the family.

It sounds like she's eating a fairly restricted diet, but made up of a fair amount of carbs (though good carbs). Perhaps try changing the fruit/mueslibar at lunch for a tuna or lean chicken salad or salad sandwich with wholemeal/grain bread (less sugars via fructose and the grainer the bread the lower GI and more fibre). Also it's worth considering that too low a food intake has been known to slow your metabolism. Also look for hidden calories and liquid calories - she may have restricted her food intake, but is she drinking 5 full cream coffees per day, or downing a few bottles of sports drink or juice per day?

They say 30min of exercise per day to maintain cardiovascular health - you would need to do more than that to lose weight though (but I'm guessing from her degree she would know that?), perhaps she could up that? Increasing cardio will help burn the weight, increasing resistance training will build muscle to increase basal metabolic rate. If she does the same thing every time she's at the gym, it might help to change things up a bit.

If she's studying she may be stressed - stress will mess with all kinds of things and has been known to influence weight. Find some way of de-stressing (meditation, relaxation exercises, exercise!). Also sleep levels - make sure she's getting her 8 hours since sleep problems have been linked to weight gain. Studying generally also means a lot of sitting around listening to lectures and reading - I don't know if that's the case for dip sports, but if so, that's a lot of sitting around and she might need to offset that with some more exercise.

Get her to keep on at her doctor because it sounds like (unless she's seriously kidding herself and is secretly eating a kilo of chocolate per day) that there might be something unexplained going on. Get her to start a food and exercise diary so she knows EXACTLY what she's dealing with. She can work out how many cals are going in compared to going out which will give her an idea about whether she's just miscalculated or if there's really something wrong. A GOOD doctor for this kind of problem will want to see one of these anyway.

It sounds like she invests a lot of her self worth in her body image, try to be encouraging and let her know you love her just the way she is and she's still the same person. She's likely to be a bit sensitive so try not to make disparaging remarks, even if they're well intentioned. The good news is if she's eating and exercising she should be relatively healthy cardio vascular wise even if there's a bit of weight creep.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby stetson » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:17 pm

Well her contraception pill did get changed around December last year and I did notice it was from this point onwards that the weight gain began to happen. Her lifestyle and eating habits, which have always been good did not alter. I think everyone is aware the pill can have this affect, and after a few months this year I got her to do a bit of research on the net, where she found a lot of reports sghting weight gain. The problem is she couldnt go back onto the original pill as the reason for coming off in in the first place was that it was no longer available here. She consequently got prescribed another and has been on it since. Is there a way of proving if a contraceptive pill can be wholly responsible?

Today was a typical day for her, eating a bowl of no fat yogurt, a banana and a bowl of sultanna bran with no fat milk. She also hit the gym for an hour before work. She has been to college and complete a massage this evening before walking home and has been in bed since 9:30 tonight.As im sure anyone can see, calorie intake would not exceed energy expenditure in any way.
stetson

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:56 pm

The contraceptive pill is definitely linked to weight issues. It's a known and much grumbled about side effect. Probably the only way to know for sure would be to do an n=1 within subject study of her (i.e. take her off the pill, monitor her weight, then put her back on and repeat and see if there are linked changes). However you don't want to be going to that much bother. Given that it changed at about that time and that there seems to be limited other reasonable explanations if I was her I'd be listing that as my number 1 suspect. I'm surprised the doctor didn't suggest it.

Good news: there are alternatives to the pill. Any hormonal option carries weight risk issues, and different people react differently to each, however things like implanon (the implant dohicky) is an alternative type of hormone which may suit her better, or she could go for some of the newfandangled options like the nuva ring which releases the hormone more "locally" so you don't get as many systemic effects like weight gain. Or then there's options like IUD's which can come with either hormones (which work locally again) or no hormones (and yes, you can have them if you haven't had kids - I have one and I definitely don't have kiddies). Some will be less prone to weight gain than others.

Check out if there's a family planning clinic nearby. Their core business is contraception so they know ALL the ins and outs of all the options.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Princess Juki » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:45 pm

Hmmm from what you say she is eating I don't think that that is very much, I am currently eating 1200-1300 calories a day and I have been eating more than that most days.

If she doesn't find out anything further from the doctor, maybe a visit to a nutritionist may be worth it...

To fit in to my Wedding Dress:
Bust: Start (113cm) Current (108cm) Goal (90cm)
Waist: Start (93.5cm) Current (87cm) Goal (70cm)
Hips: Start (119.5cm) Current (111cm) Goal (99cm)
Princess Juki

Return to Weight loss Talk